Celebrating launch with Panzer Comics

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Celebrating launch with Panzer Comics

Post by Kerensky »

Panzer Corps 2 goes live in a matter of hours, and to celebrate, I've had a series of comics produced that look at some of the interesting mechanics and features of Panzer Corps 2 in a more... humorous light.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2027058665

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2027061040

Stay tuned for more, I'd like to make this a series if people are really liking them.
Enjoy the comics and enjoy the game!

Edit: Third comic posted

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2028251014
Last edited by Kerensky on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: Celebrating launch with Panzer Comics

Post by Kerensky »

Image previews of the first three comics:

Last edited by Kerensky on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MickMannock »

Looking really fun. Nice work! :)
Rood
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Rood »

That is some great artwork! Funny too!!
JAV1L15
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by JAV1L15 »

it's the 19th, 4:12pm in Western Australia, and my game is still locked for 8 hours, comes out midnight tonight on the 20th here for us for some reason?
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

JAV1L15 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 am it's the 19th, 4:12pm in Western Australia, and my game is still locked for 8 hours, comes out midnight tonight on the 20th here for us for some reason?
I think it's the same time for everyone.
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

But, but ... the quartermaster does NOT look like Christoph Waltz this time!
Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc »

This should become the official manual and strategy guide! :D

I remember, many, a damn many actually, years ago when playing Panzer General for the first time my first thoughts were "why are my tanks not my strongest units and why are they ***".
I got in a rugged defense attacking a city with a Panzer I or II.

Well, that's how games caused players to start thinking and learning back in the days, "tutorials"... pah! 8)
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

Longasc wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:22 am I remember, many, a damn many actually, years ago when playing Panzer General for the first time my first thoughts were "why are my tanks not my strongest units and why are they ***".
Ha! I had the exact same experience with Panzer General back in the day. Was it the mid 90s? I don't remember when it was released anymore (and yes, I know I can use Altavista or Lycos to search for an answer, but it's much nicer to reminiscence and speculate, cause that was another nice thing we did in the mid 90s). :)
XyX_Nemesis_XyX

Post by XyX_Nemesis_XyX »

I remember playing of at an age of about 10 and failing at taking warsaw time and again. I quit playing it and gave it a try serveral times until I finally took Warsaw. After that I got hooked and played all the pg games and pc. I can't wait to play pc 2.
Last edited by XyX_Nemesis_XyX on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hexaboo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Hexaboo »

The 'Add to Basket' bit cracked me up. :D
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

MickMannock wrote: Ha! I had the exact same experience with Panzer General back in the day. Was it the mid 90s? I don't remember when it was released anymore (and yes, I know I can use Altavista or Lycos to search for an answer, but it's much nicer to reminiscence and speculate, cause that was another nice thing we did in the mid 90s). :)
Yeah, then I found a FAQ for Panzer General on Gamefaqs or so that explained how initiative and close defense worked. That was a major breakthrough! 8)
Edit: The random factor of 0,1,2 was good advice, I already noticed that much higher initiative works out to shoot first. Which was why I absolutely loved the BF109F with its amazing initiative.

You really figured out some things by yourself as you couldn't find everything somewhere on the internet via Google. Where you had to intentionally go for a minor victory or loss to get historical choices, or how to make it that you get the Balkans scenario etc..

It makes me feel nostalgic to think how many years this game was one of my favorite and over how many different decades I played one or the other version of it!
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

Longasc wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:51 pm Yeah, then I found a FAQ for Panzer General on Gamefaqs or so that explained how initiative and close defense worked. That was a major breakthrough! 8)
Edit: The random factor of 0,1,2 was good advice, I already noticed that much higher initiative works out to shoot first. Which was why I absolutely loved the BF109F with its amazing initiative.

You really figured out some things by yourself as you couldn't find everything somewhere on the internet via Google. Where you had to intentionally go for a minor victory or loss to get historical choices, or how to make it that you get the Balkans scenario etc..

It makes me feel nostalgic to think how many years this game was one of my favorite and over how many different decades I played one or the other version of it!
Totally agree. And I was a purist, who didn't like any of the sequels (until Panzer Corps showed up). I can't believe how many hours I spent with that game. Panzer General and Steel Panthers are probably the games I've played the most amount of hours through the years. I just wish they'd make a sequel to Steel Panthers too.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

MickMannock wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:47 pm
Longasc wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:51 pm Yeah, then I found a FAQ for Panzer General on Gamefaqs or so that explained how initiative and close defense worked. That was a major breakthrough! 8)

Totally agree. And I was a purist, who didn't like any of the sequels (until Panzer Corps showed up). I can't believe how many hours I spent with that game. Panzer General and Steel Panthers are probably the games I've played the most amount of hours through the years. I just wish they'd make a sequel to Steel Panthers too.
Damn I feel so old school. I remember having to wait for magazines to publish short cut keys and rules. We were proper gamers .. not like these molly coddled kids of today who want it all easy ..
B17 without instructions .. made a man of you. :D

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Longasc

Post by Longasc »

MickMannock wrote: Totally agree. And I was a purist, who didn't like any of the sequels (until Panzer Corps showed up). I can't believe how many hours I spent with that game. Panzer General and Steel Panthers are probably the games I've played the most amount of hours through the years. I just wish they'd make a sequel to Steel Panthers too.
Woah! I absolutely loved Steel Panthers, too! Regarding "Purist", I needed a while to adjust to Allied General and think I am one of the few people who didn't like the mechanics and art style of Panzer General II. Panzer General 3D-versions, later by Ubisoft... erm. Didn't even try after a demo.

I liked the WW2 era Steel Panthers, I also liked Modern Warfare and the many Soviet Tanks, but not as much as the WW2 era original first Steel Panthers. I didn't try Steel Panthers World at War by Camo Workshop, up to this day, or to be honest I have given up by now, I was dreaming of a remake of Steel Panthers, just like the amazing one Panzer General got.

Yeah, there was a time when my most pressing question was if I liked Steel Panthers more or Panzer General. I think I came to the conclusion that I liked Panzer General a bit more but that Steel Panthers had way more scenarioes and can therefore be played forever or something like that! :D

It quite hurts me that Steel Panthers somehow never got an at least somewhat similar successor up to this day. It had, or rather still has, very good mechanics and a rock solid game design.

But now... let's play Panzer Corps 2 first. My download speed, despite a fiber connection, is down to 2-3 MB/s only! Argh! Seems everyone is playing video games these days!
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

Patrick Ward wrote:Damn I feel so old school. I remember having to wait for magazines to publish short cut keys and rules. We were proper gamers .. not like these molly coddled kids of today who want it all easy ..
Hehe! I have played B17, but I rather remember another game from that time. It must have left an impression, because I always remember "The Train" https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/The_Train ... o_Normandy

Hmm... that got me thinking that games were a lot more genre mix and genres less well defined and fixed than nowadays. But let's don't sugar coat it all, some games also had bugs and they were not fixed at all. Because there was no internet. Patches? I once got a floppy disk with a patch, that was something truly unique!

My favorite flying game was Aces of the Pacific. Which required quite some tricks to free up memory with a DOS extender. Aces over Europe was cool, but dunno why, but I loved Aces of the Pacific way more.

I only just now finished downloading Panzer Corps 2, suddenly speed jumped to 40+ MB/s, only got 1-2 for most of the time. Seems my local internet was slow or Steam taxed by bored quarantined people playing and downloading like crazy.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Longasc wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:22 am This should become the official manual and strategy guide! :D

I remember, many, a damn many actually, years ago when playing Panzer General for the first time my first thoughts were "why are my tanks not my strongest units and why are they ***".

Well, that's how games caused players to start thinking and learning back in the days, "tutorials"... pah! 8)
Hmmmm yea, I definitely picked the first comics to be as relatable as possible. The quintessential Panzer Corps experience is people throwing their mighty Panzers at entrenched infantry in close terrain and being outraged when puny infantry seem to decimate their uber Tigers and Panthers. So it's definitely a comic, but it secretly doubles as a guide to gameplay. ;)
Schneides42
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Schneides42 »

I'll add my vote for more of the cartoons/user guides. Perhaps one showing the difference between the various infantry units or the effects of suppression on units.

Cheers

Schneides
Edmon
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Edmon »

Patrick Ward wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Damn I feel so old school. I remember having to wait for magazines to publish short cut keys and rules. We were proper gamers .. not like these molly coddled kids of today who want it all easy ..

Pat
Remember when you bought a game and it came with a keyboard overlay?

Now those were the days :p.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Edmon wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 am
Patrick Ward wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Pat
Remember when you bought a game and it came with a keyboard overlay?

Now those were the days :p.
I remember having to make my own ..

P

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”