Eobrian2 - Oda 1573-82
Fybyyn - Oda 1573-82

Team Tori
Kiwiwarlord - Daimyo - Uesugi 1579-1582
GentlemanRanker - Uesugi 1579-1582
Gdod - Uesugi 1579-1582
LFDLM - Ikko Ikki 1555-1574
Baldrick52 - Uesugi 1572-1574
Last edited by ahuyton on Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: 2020 team event Round One

Post by ahuyton »

So I think that we can now start, so Team Tori should launch all their challenges. I will see with Fabien about hs list.

Please complete the games by 30 April. The winner should report the results here.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunnies (Tokugawa) defeats GDod (Uesugi) 54-26

GDod slowly overran my left flank riff raff in the forests, but I won the main infantry clash in the center due to the presence of a reserve line of about 2500 spearmen ready to plug any gaps and exploit flanks opened by GDod's elite troops pushing forward.

GG
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

ahuyton (Toyotomi) won against Gdod (Uesugi) 49-22

At deployment, I saw nothing but trees so headed my army in a rectangular block out to the left flank where there was a nice level playing field. Gavin came out to meet me and soon we had a huge swirling melee with troops facing in all directions. This makes the game hard to predict and we both suffered unexpected flanking attacks. The turning point came when one of my sohei units found a flank, destroyed the unit and then hit another unit's flank in pursuit, destroyed that and disrupted a few units in the process. So that was that, a nice piece of luck to swing the game my way.

A pleasant aggressive game as is always the case with Gavin.
GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by GentlemanRanker »

GentlemanRanker (Uesugi) beat fybyyn (Oda) 51-21

I struggle to provide a coherent narrative for this game; the Oda crashed frontally into the Uesugi deployment, and things descended rapidly into a bar brawl gone to ground, with everyone lashing out at, or trying to bite, anything that came into range. Both lines were penetrated, and triumphant pursuers were flanked and broken in their turn.

As is so often the case with these SJ games, the final score belies the close nature of the battle throughout; the turning point came when a unit of Oda yari ashigaru disrupted while falling back, they were charged in the rear by Uesugi ashigaru hiding in woods, breaking them, which led to an unfortunate series of chain routes for Oda units. It could so easily have gone the other way.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Kiwiwarlord, Team Tori ( Uesugi ) 18%, defeats Fybyyn, Team Usagi ( Oda ) 47%. 18-47

One of the most unusual games of Sengoku Jidai that I have ever played.
Half of my deployment area was covered in 300 high hills surrounded by impassable cliffs with a little patch of Rough in the half available to my troops.
I was told that I had 13 units, yes, 13 units ! (never seen so many), flank marching on my Right Flank. This flank had woods along just about the entire edge !
What to do ?? (I thought) Well I came up with the idea of setting up deep in my deployment area against a Cliff Face & behind the patch of Rough & await my Flank March's arrival hoping that Fabian would think that I had concealed half of my army behind the hills and in woods over the far side of the hills.
Thankfully Fabian was a little taken aback with the terrain and did not advance quickly upon my deployed units giving me some time.
My Flank March duly arrived on move 6 but was 2 units and a General short !!!
Thanks to Fabian's uncoordinated advance and the arrival of my Flank March, causing much surprise to Fabian, my troops deployed beside the Cliff Face and Rough Ground held off the Oda attacks until my flanking units arrived and attacked the units sent to intercept them.
My Flankers broke through and then attacked the Oda main Battle in the rear causing a massive rout and winning the game.
GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

GentlemanRanker (Uesugi) beat ahuyton (Toyotomi) 44-18

The Uesugi were gifted a large hill on the right wing, so the Toyotomi thrust favoured their right wing. However, on that side the Uesugi were anchored in broken woodland, bristling with ashigaru , with yari samurai free to operate unhindered in the gaps between.

The Toyotomi won decisively on both wings, but were unable to make headway against the defended woods; the Uesugi cavalry and yumi samurai charged down from the hill, crashing in to, and overwhelming (despite several unforced errors on the part of the Uesugi general), the mainly missile ashigaru making up the Toyotomi centre.

[Edited to correct Oda to Uesugi]
Last edited by GentlemanRanker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunnies (Tokugawa) defeats baldrick52 (Uesugi) 54-20

The battle was quite close until a massive chain rout shattered the Uesugi center. GG.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunnies (Tokugawa) defeats GentlemanRanker (Uesugi) 51-23

The Tokugawa right wing came close to total envelopment and destruction, but reinforcements from the center arrived just in time to avert disaster.

GG

GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

GentlemanRanker (Uesugi) beat Eobrian2 (Oda) 43-18

The two armies, arrayed in deep formation, clashed on a narrow front between areas of woodland. The superior Oda troops were generally able to prevail in the centre, but space to break through was initially limited. Uesugi ashigaru hidden in the woods were able to make disrupting flank attacks, and tie down higher quality Oda units, while a small Uesugi enveloping force hooked left around the wood to snatch victory just as the Oda centre finally broke through.

Greatly to the relief of the Uesugi general, the significant Oda reserves were not committed to the battle.
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Kiwiwarlord, Team Tori ( Uesugi ) 17%, defeats SnuggleBunnies, Team Usagi ( Tokugawa ) 48%. 17-48

Another unusual battlefield, woods, hills, marsh, rough, right across. The centre was dominated by a high hill which would hold 6 or so units and dominate the field if one could get atop and set ones archers up. I was tempted but then changed my mind and decided to stretch out on either side of the hill to be out of arrow range of the hill top.
SB hung back behind the hill but advanced his left into two woods as I was withdrawing. Luckily I had a couple of units in ambush there so my right flank turned and engaged the Tokugawa. Meantime my left flank had advanced around the other side of the hill as the Tokugawa forces set themselves up atop the high central hill and began moving the bulk of their spearmen out from behind the hill to engage my left flank. My Left flank troops engaged the Tokugawa in the woods whilst the rest turned and moved back to a hill and formed a defensive position. Meantime in the centre the Tokugawa shooters came down and engaged my centre so it was all on right across the field.
My right flank managed to hold the Tokugawa's advance, counter attack and demolish the entire force then support the fight in the centre.The Tokugawa assault on my left flank made some progress in the woods there but was held up by my units deployed on higher ground.This allowed my forces in the centre to overwhelm the remaining Tokugawa troops and win the battle.
A rare win against one of the best.
LFDLM
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by LFDLM »

LFDLM defeats Fybyyn (42/14).
baldrick52
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by baldrick52 »

Baldrick52 Defeats fybyyn 42 - 64%
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

ahuyton (Toyotomi 1573-82) won against Kiwiwarlord (Uesugi 1579-1582) 67-52

As you can see from the result it was an incredibly close and hard fought contest. The game was decided only on the very last turn. By then it resembled a childhood game with Airfix figures - you start with vast numbers of perfectly arrayed troops but finish with just two chaps left on the table.

Our terrain consisted of a large wood on my right, patches of rough on the left and a relatively narrow level playing field in the middle. Both armies focused on this rather small section of the battlefield, which made for a tough struggle. I weighted my right flank, heading towards the wood hoping to hold off on the left by using the rough ground. Brian attacked, naturally enough on my left and soon caused me a lot of concern by infiltrating a cavalry unit around my flank. At this stage, I was not confident as it was looking like a lot of rear attacks coming up, so to speak. The struggle in the centre between our respective spearmen and cavalry was intense and quite even, ie units breaking all over the place. Only when my Ashigaru peasant swordsmen, a unit I normally try to keep away from the action, charged into the woods did the game change. He hit two units consecutively in the flank, breaking them before hitting a third and disrupting it (if I remember well). Next turn a unit of bowmen performed a similar trick and Brian's troops looked on with dismay.

It took some time to finish the game off, as you would expect against Brian. For several turns I was on 58% before my last remaining troops, archers and peasant spearmen, managed to push us over the line - just in time.

A very pleasant game and a rare win against one of the best...
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

ahuyton (Toyotomi 1573-82 won against Baldrick52 (Uesugi 1572-1574) 51-26

Our battlefield was an open steppe divided laterally by a stream with a big patch of rough on my extreme left. Our armies were pretty similar in composition. We both advanced to the stream, stopped and waited for the opponent to cross while exchanging desultory bowfire. I pulled back on my right, hoping that the Uesugi would take advantage of the space created and take the plunge. They did, safely enough, and a melee soon broke out right across the field.

It was very up and down. At one stage I led 23-4, then Baldrick retorted and we got to 25-23. At that stage, his troops were a bit strung out and I was able to take advantage and pick off some of the weaker units and in doing so got some handy flank attacks which eventually led to the win.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunnies (Tokugawa) defeats LFDLM (Ikko-Ikki) 55-26

The Tokugawa right flank was largely set to flight in a disastrous chain rout set off by Ikko-Ikki archers Disrupting and then sending fleeing a unit of cavalry. Luckily, a few units of Raw Sohei held out in woods and marshes, while Samurai cavalry and Spearmen crashed through the open field in the center.

GG

ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

LFDLM (Ikko-Ikki) beat up ahuyton (Toyotomi), 71-51

A terrific game, back and forth until my noble Samurai were overwhelmed by hordes of monks and peasants pouring out of the woods. I will let Cedric tell his tale of glory. Suffice to say he judged the terrain better than I did and it made his numbers count.
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Kiwiwarlord, Team Tori ( Uesugi ) 16%, defeats Eobrian2, Team Usagi ( Oda ) 42%. 16-42

The Battle was fought in and to one side of a large wood, the Oda were outflanked outside the wood and out numbered in the wood.
The Oda Elite cavalry unit appeared in a patch of rough going just out of the wood near the centre of the battleline and began an unbeaten charge through the Uesugi centre and as the rest of the Oda army was fleeing the field the Elite cavalry was pursing the 3rd or 4th broken Uesugi unit to the bottom edge of the field.
A quick battle, only 9 turns.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

3 battles to report

TGM wins vs GDOD 47-62
Grind fest for many turns as every troop became engaged on both sides and the generals could just watch while sipping Cognac as the soldiers stabbed away!!

TGM wins vs Baldrick 15-41
race for a nice plateau in which the Uesagi beat me to, but it was their doom as our superior numbers of peasants wrapped around the hill while our numerous hand gunners were able to weaken bits of the enemy defense and break in

and sadly
LDFLM wins vs TGM 59 to 60 dohhh What can I say, I hate the Ickies and their hordes that bounce off every attack :)
GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

GentlemanRanker (Uesugi) beat TheGrayMouser (Tokugawa) 55-62

The Uesgui samurai established an early lead, sweeping away Tokugawa units facing their right flank (this is going to be easy!), only to throw it all away due to the propensity of pursuing units to present their backs to the Tokugawa battle line. The strong Tokogawa centre then proceeded to annihilate every single unit in the Uesugi centre and right flank; however, Usegugi ashigaru in woodland on their left flank continued to rack up the body count, surviving long enough for rallied units, and returning pursuers, to come to their assistance. Both sides attempted increasingly risky charges in the last few frantic turns, but fortune favoured the Useugi on this occasion.

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Tournaments & Leagues”