My Experience with Multiplayer

Check Your 6 brings you in the middle of the World War II battles, with a turn-based strategy game that carries the spirit of the dogfights.
Energisteron
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

My Experience with Multiplayer

Post by Energisteron »

Last week I wrote about my feeling for the game playing against the AI (see my post 'My Experience with Check Your 6!').

Since then I have had the good fortune to find opponents using the in-game lobby, and what a different experience it is!

The game really comes into its own as a two-player game. I've yet to experience a true multi-player game in which each aircraft can be controlled by a different player (up to a certain limit, about 4 each side I think) but I am confident such a game would be feasible.

So, what's different? Why is the multi-player option so much better? How come I (almost) get edge of my seat thrills?

Other than the obvious, that a real human contender is going to be a better opponent than the AI, the crazy thing is that the scoring system and assessment for victory is totally different. It is far superior to that used for single player. This alone makes the game more enjoyable.

In single player mode, victory is determined by the fulfillment of objectives, or failure to do so, and these are carefully set so there is no possibility of a draw (unless both sides exhaust their ammunition on thin air!). So you win or you lose; nothing in between. It's a stark and sterile result.

In multi-player, everything counts towards a final score. My first game ended 26-30. A close run encounter and very enjoyable. So there is effectively quality of victory too. That's a definite improvement!

So how does it play as multi-player?

The in-game lobby, located through the game menu via 'multi-player' and 'internet' (there is a 'hot-seat' option also), permits setting up a battle with ease. One waits for an opponent and away you go.

It is a much better experience if both players can be on-line at the same time, then the game flows slickly from one turn to the next and the whole thing can be completed in about half an hour. But if either player needs to take a break for RL then it plays more like a pbem with each player returning to the lobby and playing their turn when they can. There is no in-game chat, and no auto-generated email or PM to inform you it's your turn, so you just have to look in from time to time, or exchange a message by other means that the opponent should play their turn. But all that is alleviated if both are on-line, then the game moves seamlessly from turn to turn, and I must admit at a pace which is quick enough to cause some excitement.

Why the scoring system was not adopted for single player campaigning I have no idea!

One caveat: you will have to 'advertise' because there's not much happening in the lobby otherwise!

One regret: it is a real shame that this game did not receive the final polish it needed.

One clarification: i have not observed some of the behaviours (like frequent mid-air collisions for instance) which others have complained about.

So, grab yourself an opponent, and play multi-player!
klzlueylx
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: My Experience with Multiplayer

Post by klzlueylx »

hello, I'm looking for an opponent. are you interested?
please mail me the name and password :D
stephenamber@qq.com

oh is this game's multiplayer experience still turnbased and do not require both players keeping online? I hope it's just like pbem++, or it would be frustrating
Energisteron

Re: My Experience with Multiplayer

Post by Energisteron »

The multiplayer option can be played in both modes: like a pbem or like a live on-line game.

But just to be clear, both options are one and the same in terms of access via the game lobby.

If both players are on-line together then the game processes and updates immediately.

If only one player is on-line then they input their orders as far ahead as possible, so that when the other player comes on-line and updates his orders, all these orders for both sides can be processed simultaneously, and the game moves forward to the next phase. So, it is entirely feasible to commence a game with each player joining at different times, but to later have the experience of both being on-line and getting a rapid turnover of the action, and then if necessary returning later to a style akin to pbem.

RECOMMENDATION: I strongly recommend that if it is unlikely both players can be on-line simultaneously then the 'pilot reaction' option is disabled. Otherwise a single turn has 4 pilot reaction impulses which takes 4 times as many exchanges (whether or not the players are on-line) then one single impulse when all planes move. I also find it more aesthetically pleasing to see all the aircraft moving at once rather than have some aircraft move while others wait for their pilot's 'experience slot' (better rated pilots move later and can tweak their previously plotted move slightly, but not by that much so it is hardly significant so why bother!).

Return to “Check Your 6!”