The Dustbin

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

ggarynorman
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Late Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by ggarynorman »

Division D

ggarynorman Palmyran beat Supervark Sassanid Persian 64-45

ggarynorman Palmyran drew with General Shapur Pictish 36-16

(2-0)

Thanks for the game gents
hidde
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by hidde »

Division B

hidde - Indian 546-599 AD with Hephthalite 350-570 AD allies beat Nijis - Sassanid Persian 350-476 AD 62-48
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Re: Larger armies right across the FOG2 Digital League?

Post by pantherboy »

kronenblatt wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 am
pantherboy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:31 am ... I trialed selecting 10 or maybe 12 army lists for a season per category for players to select from ensuring a wide variety of lists. I then had players receive their preference in order of their ranking based on the last seasons performance with me always taking the final choice for division A.
Very interesting approach! What was the response among the players? And how did you find the trial yourself?
There were no criticisms amongst players but then I would run multiple formats so if a player wanted a more open selection there always was free selection groups. As for my experience I found it very challenging playing with last choice but rewarding from the point of view of forcing myself to learn how to play with a variety of lists.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

pantherboy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:31 am Pete for scenarios I meant actual ones that come with FOG like the battle of Cannae so that the force composition and battlefield are identical for the mirror battle.
Yes, I have done that, for example in Season 5 with Pydna, Raphia and Phillipi. Because the official scenarios tend to be very large I have sometimes used my own ones (usually somewhere between 1200 and 1600pts) but they are still mirror matches as you describe. For example, I did this in Season 4 with my Frankish scenarios.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Last call for MakeshiftPlan . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Last chance to contact me this weekend otherwise I am going to replace you.
hidde

Re: Themed Event: winners post your results here . . .

Post by hidde »

27/6
Themed Event-Season 8a.jpg
Themed Event-Season 8a.jpg (247.29 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Tournament Diary and News . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

The semi-final line-up for the Themed Event is as follows . . .

1. dkalenda v paulmcneil
2. harveylh v Ludendorf

I will start the matches next week.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

stockwellpete wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:34 am I have checked the multi-player lobby this morning for possible missed challenges. In the period from June 1st, up to and including June 15th (one week ago), I have found 13 matches on there that have not yet been picked up. So I have sent 13 messages to the players receiving those challenges (cc'ing the challenger) asking them to start as soon as possible.

Just 2 of these 13 matches are yet to get under way. One involves MakeshiftPlan, who is probably AWOL now. The other involves gioe07, who has completed 3 matches now but is seemingly not to keen on communicating with anyone else. As he has completed 3 matches his results will stand and any other matches that do not get played will be awarded under Rule 6 if a challenge is issued by his opponent, or they will be adjudicated towards the end of the season if no challenge is made. If you are having trouble contacting gioe07 please let me know.
Stew101
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by Stew101 »

Division E

Stew101 (Thessalian 404 - 352 BC, with Greek Allies) beat Snooky51 (Carthaginian Hannibal in Italy 216-203 BC, with Samnite allies). Score 44 : 16.

In a shock result the Thessalian Paper Tigers beat the Samnite Marine Corps............
This was looking like being my second defeat at the hands of the Samnite Marine Corp's in 2 weeks, but we grabbed victory from the jaws of defeat.

Terrain was a stream across the middle of the table, with hills lining both sides and an open plain on the right flank. Sprinkling of rough and woods.

My opponent played very well.
He did not allow my lights to dominate the skirmisher encounter, so I did not get any real lead there.
He moved his longer infantry line into position and when ready threw them at my left wing.

The Samnite Marine Corps had borrowed the mountain goats from Grumpydaddy and they charged across the stream, up the hill and right through my left flank.
Defeat seemed inevitable, my whole line was going to be rolled up.

Then the paper tigers found their claws.
In the centre my disordered Mercenery Hoplites held, recovered and fought back against Hannibal's veteran's.
A raw hoplite unit withstood the charge of two Samnite units and eventually broke them both.
And my Hail Mary charges, launched as my flank collapsed came off.

Two generals leading citizen hoplites, opened a hole for my cavalry to sneak through, so that further Samnite units and Carthaginian veterans went down to flank charges.

I would like to claim that was all planned, but I'd be a fraud.

Thanks very much to my opponent.
Very enjoyable game Snooky, good luck in your remaining fixtures.

PS - you were robbed..
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Division A

SnuggleBunnies (Roman 199-106 BC with Greek 227-146 BC allies) beat herm (Seleucid 302-301 with Lysimachid 320-281 BC allies) 43-24, herm surrendered

(herm has withdrawn from FOG2DL - stockwellpete)
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I have received a PM from herm this morning saying that he is withdrawing from the FOG2DL. He is entered into Classical Antiquity Division A and Biblical Division A. He has completed 3 matches in both sections so his results will stand. I just need to find out the score in one more match that he has currently in progress before dealing with the remaining matches under Rule 6.

herm will be ineligible to play in Season 9 as he has dropped out half-way through this season, but he will be able to re-join the tournament in Season 10 (starting February 1st, 2021). A further failure to complete his matches will result in permanent exclusion.
Challenge1

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here . . .

Post by Challenge1 »

Division C

Challenge1 - Arab Conquest 638-684 AD Drew with IMC - French 888-1049 AD with Viking 900-1049 AD allies 44-48

A good game that started off with a lot of manouevering before the battle lines clashed. The French seemed to have the battle one at one stage but the Arab army managed to hold and then fight back. Paradise got a lot busier after this one.

Thanks for the match Ian!

Iain

(2-2)
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Mirror matches across the board would have two benefits and one substantial drawback -

1) It would mean players didn't feel screwed by their army choice
2) It would encourage players to use more eccentric and fun army lists without fear of getting stomped across the board

With of course the drawback that it would take more time to play, so people would enter less sections. That sort of variety and encouragement of less 'gaming' of army choice would be worth entering fewer sections to me, unlike larger armies, but I suspect it's not a popular idea.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
hidde

Post by hidde »

Division B

hidde - Indian 546-599 AD with Hephthalite 350-570 AD allies beat cromlechi - Roman 379-424 AD 63-56

(3-1)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Early Middle Ages             A-D Tables.jpg
Early Middle Ages A-D Tables.jpg (868.38 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
Early Middle Ages            E-F Tables.jpg
Early Middle Ages E-F Tables.jpg (486.21 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Weekly round-up
pantherboy (Dailami) is the new leader in Division A after extending his unbeaten run to 5 matches this week. Nosy_Rat (Frankish) is just 3 points behind with 2 games in hand with pompeytheflatulent (German) still very much in the contest in third. It is very slow going in Division B where ConstantinIX (Arab Conquest) has closed up on the leader schmolywar (Arab Conquest) after posting his third win of the season. In Division C, Challenge1 (Arab Conquest) is starting to gain a strong grip on proceedings after remaining unbeaten in his first 6 matches. Early front runner IMC (French) is fading rapidly with no wins in his last 4 outings. Swuul (British) has already won Division D with a clean sweep of 9 victories leaving everyone else to fight over the minor places. bomber23 (Andalusian) is looking most likely at the moment to secure the runners-up position. There is a very good contest going on in Division E where 5 players still have chances of taking the top spot. DanZanzibar (Dailami) is the current leader with 5 straight wins, Conteshard (Viking Ireland) also has 5 wins and Stew101 (Arab Conquest) is unbeaten in 4 matches. kraff (Sassanid) has won Division F this week after posting his eighth successive win. Nikobeg (Viking Ireland) needs 10 points from 4 matches to overtake Warg1 (Byzantine) for second place.

Unbeaten runs of 3 matches or more
Nosy_Rat (Division A) 5 matches
pantherboy (Division A) 5 matches
ConstantinIX (Division B) 3 matches
Challenge1 (Division C) 6 matches
SpeedyCM (Division C) 3 matches
Swuul (Division D) 9 matches and finished
Conteshard (Division E) 4 matches
DanZanzibar (Division E) 5 matches
Stew101 (Division E) 4 matches
kraff (Division F) 8 matches
Warg1 (Division F) 3 matches and finished

Match completion rate (45 matches in total to be played in each division)
Division A - 24 out of 45 matches completed
Division B - 13 out of 45 matches completed
Division C - 24 out of 45 matches completed
Division D - 22 out of 45 matches completed
Division E - 23 out of 45 matches completed
Division F - 30 out of 45 matches completed

These are excellent match completion rates, except for Division B which is slow.

Player of the week
pantherboy (Division A) with 4 wins this week to go to the top the table. :D
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Early Middle Ages: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Early Middle Ages             A-B Charts.jpg
Early Middle Ages A-B Charts.jpg (668.98 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
Early Middle Ages            C-D Charts.jpg
Early Middle Ages C-D Charts.jpg (667.01 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
Early Middle Ages            E-F charts.jpg
Early Middle Ages E-F charts.jpg (670.35 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Barrold713 »

Division E for Eagles

kraff (Seleucids) defeats Barrold713 (Carthaginians) 61-48

Both armies saw a prominent hill with spots of rough terrain to be the important objective. It was a close run thing but with the weight of cataphracts and superior armored units cracked my medium foot for the win. Good game

BDH
gamercb

Re: Biblical: winners post your results here . . .

Post by gamercb »

Division C

gamercb (Thracian (Getae) 680-330 BC) beat wmpryor (Lydian 550-546 BC) 61-44

The stream across the centre of the battlefield helped offset the advantage of the heavy infantry against the Thracean Pelasts in a very close battle. Thank you wympryor.
General Shapur
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by General Shapur »

Division D

General Shapur Dailami 928-1055 AD with Armenian 885-1045 AD allies defeats ggarynorman Byzantine 963-987 AD 44:16

Thanks for the game
Previously - Pete AU (SSG)

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”