The Dustbin

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

sunnyboy
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Biblical: winners post your results here . . .

Post by sunnyboy »

Division B

sunnyboy - Syracusan beat IMC – Lydian, 61-50

A tough game that could have gone either way, thanks for the game.

(3-1)
BishUK
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Late Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by BishUK »

Division E

BishUK (Byzantine) Beats Aetius39 (Palmyran) 62-41
BishUK
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by BishUK »

Division E

BishUK (Persian) beat rs2excelsior (Ptolemaic) 60-55

(3-1)
Macedonczyk
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here . . .

Post by Macedonczyk »

Division B

Macedonczyk(Byzantine+North Africa Arab) beat desertedfox(Viking, Ireland with Scots ) 60:35

Very difficult game. I tried using lancers to block Huscarls. The Huscarls tried to attack my Skoutatoi. Two hills helped me win.
nyczar
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by nyczar »

Division B

nyczar - Frankish 751-887 AD with Croatian 625-849 AD allies defeats GDod - Norman 923-1040 AD 63%-36%
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by edb1815 »

Division D

edb1815 - Breton 411-579 AD defeats bomber23 - Germanic Horse Tribes 260-492 AD with Dacian, Carpi 107-380 AD allies 58%-24%

Well played battle thank you. The Bretons placed all their medium foot on the right flank and cavarly on the left to hold off the superior Germanic lancers. The Germanic warbands in the center proved hard to take down and looked to carve through the center of the Sub Roman foot. The Bretons turned the flank but several lancers came into the center and caused several routs. Two Breton foot could not take down a fragged warband! The Breton cavarly won the battle on the left flank and started hitting warbands in the flank and that sealed the battle.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Larger armies right across the FOG2 Digital League?

Post by GDod »

nyczar » 10 Jul 2020 10:28
More list points mitigates the medium infantry swarm risk faced by high quality (heavy) lists due to inferior unit numbers
In all likelihood, the player using a "medium infantry swarm" will be very reluctant to agree to a large battle. Hence, the argument for larger battles seems redundant if it is to be by agreement.

I think one has to hark back to the reason for increasing army size. If it is to provide relief for armies who rely on expensive troop types or to reduce the effectiveness of swarm armies it may be desirable to drop the "agreement" condition. Alternatively, it may be more desirable to identify 'the problem army lists' and decree battles involving these lists should be 1600 points.

I only present this discussion as possible solutions to "tweeking" others concerns about an already perfectly good simple system. I personally love my 'expensive troop types' who regularly get swamped by cheaper troop types...hussar!

Moreover, there is definitely a point of difference between the Digi-league and the Slitherine tournaments. Attributes of the Slitherine tournament genre include historical opponents, going large and mirror games, which gives their competition a flavour all of it's own. In contrast, I think what attracts me more to the Digi-league is the handicap system and the variety (i.e. themed, defined periods, some 1200pts, some 1600pts) So, lets celebrate that enlightened choice of list and combination of troop types, or that stunning charge, or continue to be awed and stunned by that unexpected collapse, and continue to enjoy the game regardless of the points!
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Hmm .........interesting.

So the result of a poll showing support for all 1600 point Divisions next season is to eliminate any wholly 1600 point Divisions next season....... ?

If ever there was a case of the law of unintended consequences this may be it............I was very happy when the poll was run. It seems that (not for the first time) I have not understood what was going on............
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

devoncop wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:03 am Hmm .........interesting.

So the result of a poll showing support for all 1600 point Divisions next season is to eliminate any wholly 1600 point Divisions next season....... ?

If ever there was a case of the law of unintended consequences this may be it............I was very happy when the poll was run. It seems that (not for the first time) I have not understood what was going on............
Even those players who do read the instructions sometimes seem to have trouble understanding them. :? As I have already written . . .

So for next season we will have . . .
Classical Antiquity - 1200/1600pt trial
Late Antiquity - 1200pt
Early Middle Ages - 1600pt
Biblical - 1600pt
Themed Event - 1200pt
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Division F adjudications (voting 3-0)

Blagrot beat gioe07 4-0 (Rule 6)
hscic beat gioe07 4-0 (Rule 6)
hyme beat gioe07 4-0 (Rule 6)
Morat beat gioe07 4-0 (Rule 6)
Stormcrow beat gioe07 4-0 (Rule 6)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Tournament Diary and News . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

There was no contact from gioe07 who was playing in Late Antiquity Division F. All his remaining matches have been awarded to his opponents under Rule 6. He will not be able to play in Season 9.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Classical Antiquity            A-D Tables.jpg
Classical Antiquity A-D Tables.jpg (987.82 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Classical Antiquity            E-F Tables.jpg
Classical Antiquity E-F Tables.jpg (569.82 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Weekly round-up
Nothing much to report in Division A this week the main outstanding issue is whether Cunningcairn (Thracian) can win his last match against Morbio (Roman) to give himself any chance avoiding relegation. If he does win it 4-0 then harveylh will need to get 2 points from his last 2 matches against dkalenda (Pontic) and Nosy_Rat (Indian) to avoid the drop. The big match at the top of Division B this week between XLegione (Roman) and nyczar (Spartan) was drawn 2-2, which increases the likelihood of these 2 players being tied at the end of the season. However, Questar17 (Ptolemaic) has a 100% record of 3 straight wins and still has to play both nyczar and XLegione. Another win for NikiforosFokas (Hannibal in Africa) in Division C moves him closer to the top and he looks likely to claim the automatic promotion place now. His key match now is against phoyle3290 (Hannibal in Italy) who has an outside chance of taking the top place, as does Swuul (Samnite). Disappointment in Division D where challenger elrawen (Macedonian) may have abandoned the tournament without playing Challenge1 (Roman) who was also in the hunt for the top spot, currently held by SLancaster (Lysimachid). If he has gone AWOL then Challenge1 will need 2 points from his last match against Najanaja (Roman) to win automatic promotion. BishUK (Achaemenid) has won Division E after securing a narrow victory in his last match against rs2excelsior (Ptolemaic) while closest challenger baldrick52 (Indo-Parthian) was beaten by mid-table Aetius39 (Macedonian). Both DanZanzibar (Carthaginian) and Blagrot (Samnite) won again to continue their tussle at the top in Division F while hyme (Saka) picked up a couple of points to leave Brenmusik firmly rooted in the wooden spoon position.

Unbeaten runs of 3 matches or more
nyczar (Division B) 6 matches
Questar17 (Division B) 3 matches
XLegione (Division B) 7 matches
NikiforosFokas (Division C) 5 matches
phoyle3290 (Division C) 3 matches
Swuul (Division C) 3 matches
Challenge1 (Division D) 7 matches
BishUK (Division E) 5 matches and finished
Blagrot (Division F) 5 matches
DanZanzibar (Division F) 7 matches
TomoeGozen (Division F) 3 matches and finished

Match completion rate (45 matches in total to be played in each division)
Division A - 36 out of 45 matches completed
Division B - 29 out of 45 matches completed
Division C - 37 out of 45 matches completed
Division D - 33 out of 45 matches completed
Division E - 33 out of 45 matches completed
Division F - 38 out of 45 matches completed

These are excellent match completion rates. :D

Player of the week
BishUK (Division E) who has won automatic promotion this week in his first season in the FOG2DL. :D
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

stockwellpete wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:26 am
devoncop wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:03 am Hmm .........interesting.

Even those players who do read the instructions sometimes seem to have trouble understanding them. :? As I have already written . . .

So for next season we will have . . .
Classical Antiquity - 1200/1600pt trial
Late Antiquity - 1200pt
Early Middle Ages - 1600pt
Biblical - 1600pt
Themed Event - 1200pt
Hi Pete.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I get that is the position for NEXT season.

Judging from your reply from 7.10am on 10th July though, as of season 10 there will be no guaranteed 1600 points matches in any Divisions.....or am I being dense ?

Cheers

Ian
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Classical Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Classical Antiquity            A-B Charts.jpg
Classical Antiquity A-B Charts.jpg (773.66 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
Classical Antiquity            C-D Charts.jpg
Classical Antiquity C-D Charts.jpg (797.61 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
Classical Antiquity            E-F charts.jpg
Classical Antiquity E-F charts.jpg (800.86 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

BishUK has won Classical Antiquity Division E!

Post by stockwellpete »

With 8 wins and just one narrow defeat, BishUK has won Classical Antiquity Division E with his mighty Achaemenid Persian army. Well played BishUK! :D
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

devoncop wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:16 am
Hi Pete.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I get that is the position for NEXT season.

Judging from your reply from 7.10am on 10th July though, as of season 10 there will be no guaranteed 1600 points matches in any Divisions.....or am I being dense ?

Cheers

Ian
In that particular post I am indicating that I will be looking carefully at the proportion of matches in the trial played at 1200pts and 1600pts. I will actually be able to work that out from the very beginning of the season once players have indicated preferences for "medium" or "large". This will also give me a reasonably accurate prediction for the ratio of "medium" and "large" matches that are likely to take place right across the tournament from Season 10, if we do decide to switch to the new system.

In my estimation we have roughly 60% of all players who would like to play at just 1600pts and 40% who would not. So, to be fair to everyone, I think we need to move to a system where roughly 60% of all matches are played at the larger size. If that happens in the trial with the default size of the battles set at 1200pts then all well and good, but if we find that larger battles are only going to account for, say, 30% of all battles, then I will switch the default size to 1600pts from Season 10 onwards. It is my expectation that there will quite a bit of a debate about this but it should be remembered that the preference for larger battles did win the poll 34-27 so any final decision that I need to make will reflect the outcome of that poll.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

That makes complete sense.

Sorry for being slow.

(My speed of picking this proposal up does however explain my record of solidly consistent mediocrity season after season :-)
Blagrot
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Blagrot »

Division F

Blagrot - Andalusian 756-1049 AD beat hscic - Lombard 776-1049 AD 40% - 8%

Not a good day for the Lombards, they were left with the choice of sitting on a hill and waiting to be outflanked or trying to break the hill defence before the rest of the Andalusians got there. They tried the latter but simply couldn't make headway against the spears uphill, thanks for the game and hope to play you again soon.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Late Antiquity                   A-D Tables.jpg
Late Antiquity A-D Tables.jpg (929.97 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Late Antiquity                    E-F Tables.jpg
Late Antiquity E-F Tables.jpg (531.53 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”