Absorbing and Client States

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Scobie
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Absorbing and Client States

Post by Scobie »

So: I don't understand how diplomatically absorbing other states works. It's an option in the diplomatic demands menu, but how to get it to actually happen I have no idea. I assumed that making someone a client state would be a good first step, but when I go to absorb a client, the cost even for a tiny nation is so huge there's no possible way it could go through. Perhaps I need to increase relations -- but relations with clients seemed to be capped at 50. Gifts won't push it beyond that. Meanwhile, my neighbours the Antigonids, a vast empire, client the Parthians, a smaller but still pretty big empire, and then a while later seemingly manage to absorb the whole thing in one turn. What's going on here?

I found a couple of old threads about absorbing other nations but they don't seem to match what I'm seeing. Perhaps they're out of date now?

Apologies in advance for whatever misunderstanding I'm labouring under here. :D
stormbringer3
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Absorbing and Client States

Post by stormbringer3 »

I'd also love to see some pointers about diplomacy. I've gone to using it only to end wars. When I tried it before, I spent lots of money for minimal return.
Gray Fox
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Gray Fox »

An update made diplomacy a little harder. Gift a faction money until the relations are over 25. This may take many thousands of your money and I usually need 10+ turns to get them where I need them. Then you can use transactions to either gain some of their regions or make them a Client State. If you take regions that are their objectives, then you can weaken them, because they get aging tokens for losing these. Just click the objectives overlay and then click their faction. Then use the diplomacy icon and click their faction again. Their objectives that they hold will still be highlighted. Click "Cede regions" and click each one. Do a transaction to gain as many of these regions as you can afford. Continue to weaken them until you can make them a CS. What I have done is gain their objectives and then later do a transaction for each province of the objectives I've taken. Eventually you should whittle them down to where you can absorb them or make them a CS. Be aware that their faction may collapse before this. If you absorb their faction, you'll get a big shot of decadence, so be careful. Also, some players consider this an exploit, even though it costs you a crapload of resources. Good luck!
Attachments
Objectives.jpg
Objectives.jpg (683.21 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Regions.jpg
Regions.jpg (714.88 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Provinces.jpg
Provinces.jpg (691.97 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players
Samstra's Trade guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805684085
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Thanks for the update Gray ;-)

To have the AI accepts demands like absorb, you can in a transaction send it a load of money.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
Scobie

Post by Scobie »

Interesting, thanks for the responses everyone. Does the money go anywhere, or does it disappear from the game? Is there any "in-universe" justification for the AI annihilating itself in exchange for money? Did the Antigonids just absorb the Parthians by offering them a ridiculous amount of money, or do they have some special event or something?
Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox »

So Pocus, how many changes to the game are my fault now?
;)
Samstra's Trade guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805684085
Will_L
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Will_L »

Gray Fox wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:25 pm So Pocus, how many changes to the game are my fault now?
;)
Besides all of them? :D
You've done the game good.
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

One day, I was in a good mood and decided that I was not going to take most of another faction by force of arms, but by love (or as close as this game comes; money).

So, I bought up the other faction which had regions that already fit nicely into one of my provinces. :)

Here is my question:

Does Empires have any form of aggression rating and memory? So, if I can buy my way to growth does it help to maintain the Pax Romana as opposed to grow by the sword?

(you know what they say about those who live by sword)

Thanks!
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

No there is no badboy in Empires.

I did not count Gray, but your exploits err remarks are always appreciated!
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Pocus wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:59 pm No there is no badboy in Empires.
Let blood be spilled! - sayeth Pocus, The Creator and Almighty
Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox »

Pocus wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:59 pm No there is no badboy in Empires.

I did not count Gray, but your exploits err remarks are always appreciated!
I prefer "bad@ss", but I suppose badboy is a start.
:)

Markshot, if brute force doesn't work, then you haven't used enough!
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Another motto I like is: "Peace through superior firepower"

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”