Enquiries on modding structure

Moderator: Pocus

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Enquiries on modding structure

Post by kronenblatt »

Two questions to Pocus, the FoGE development team, and Slitherine. In order to encourage further mod development, would it be possible in the future to:

1. Be able as a player to choose several mods in combination (e.g., my two mods: Faction-Specific Armies and Remote Regions, plus the potential Winter May Be Coming), without having to bundle them into one mod? (Given of course that the specific mods are compatible with each other, but that is a problem for the modders to deal with, as long as the possibility to choose several mods to play exists.)
2. As a modder get rid of the need to include SCENARIO.BSF in all mods (unless really needed)? Since that file contains the start year (gTurnInfos.dateFirstTurn), it causes more generic mods to be made in several versions, one for each start year (550 BC, 310 BC, etc.). For example, for my Remote Regions mod (currently in one 310 BC and one 550 BC version), there is no real difference between whether start is 550 BC or 310 BC, and the Faction-Specific Armies mod actually works without SCENARIO.BSF (or at least seem to work), but the start year is of course zero (0 BC/AD).
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Re: Enquiries on modding structure

Post by Pocus »

Currently that's not possible alas, the way to do mods in Archon is to provide a full scenario containing scenario.bsf and the modified CSV files. Modular modding would be awesome indeed, but it requires a lot of work at a fairly low level of the engine. I'll relay again (and lobby some! ) your query to the man in charge though.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I will take a look at these two elements when I get a chance. The scenario file might be something that can be worked around. Being able to select multiple mods is a major change - and the incompatibility between mods is a major issue for end users to work around and so needs at least some in-engine validation.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:32 pm ... The scenario file might be something that can be worked around...

Cheers

Pip
Thanks, Pip: that would be great.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643

Return to “MOD”