Mini-mod AO: SCW Auxiliary Nationalists

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Mini-mod AO: SCW Auxiliary Nationalists

Post by nexusno2000 »

Allied Nationalist faction: love it or hate it, but the fact is that the official SCW DLC has is :P

I was quite enamored with the idea when I first tried it, but after a while, it got tedious watching the AI battle it out. To be fair, it's actually both thematic and fairly well implemented. But to me, thematic is less important than playing the game. If you had a tad bit better control, could control say 2-3 groups of AI allies instead of the entire faction, and the AI wasn't so keen on moving to attack when on DEFENSE, I don't think I would have reacted as strongly. But it is what it is, no use moaning about it.

That said, if you want to try something more vanilla, I've made a quick and dirty mod that turns most of the Nationalist inf into aux units, rather than controlled by a separate allied faction :D

There are some scenarios where there is still an allied faction controlling part of the Nat units, but that's reserved for those scenarios where you aren't supposed to be in control of everything. At Teruel, for example, you don't control the city with the trapped medical truck, just the cavalry force. At Ebro, you control the "reinforcements" but not the poor militia on the river. There is still room to buy Italian aux in relevant scenarios.

I haven't tried to balance the scenarios yet, so it's probably too many Nat inf under your control (presumably you're smarter than the AI). The next step is testing it out more, and probably cutting a percentage of infantry. Maybe around a third. I'm very interested in feedback regarding this. I'd also like feedback on the Commandante vega component.

I've also implemented some other changes:

- Recurring Commandante Vega: I always kill the guy at Merida and that's it. Not much of a nemesis, eh? With this mod, his lives are set to 5 instead of 1, and the relevant scripts adjusted to work with these values, so you can meet (and kill) him in all 5 scenarios (Merida, Early Madrid, Brunete, Ebro, Madrid '39). If you think that's over-the-top, you can change script.lua and set "campaign.nemesislives = 5" to something between 1 and 5. That's how many lives he gets.
- Malaga '37: Fixed all flags and victory hexes to give 50/100 prestige (instead of 0). This will be in the next patch.
- Ebro: Changes so that the VH in the mnts count against the victory conditions. Basically you need to hold the mountain VH + 2 VH on the river. Kerensky is looking at it too; maybe the briefing changes or the victory conditions. We'll see.

DL link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmLOw84tw_3Yg4lR8Ys ... g?e=Gzaacg

Installation:

1. Put the file into C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps 2\Campaigns.
2. If the folder "Campaigns" doesn't exist, create it.
4. Unzip.
5. After unzipping, there should now be a folder AO0SpainLite in your campaign folder. Make sure it's not nested inside another folder!
6. When you start a new came, "Custom Campaigns" should now be active, and "GK Spanish Civil War Lite" should be visible.

Last edited by nexusno2000 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Mini-mod AO: SCW Auxiliary Nationalists

Post by kondi754 »

Although I'm a strong supporter of the current AI management, I have to admit that it's a very interesting Mod 8)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Thanks, I’ll test it later :)
DarkBlueInk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by DarkBlueInk »

Does this work with Steam games? I do not have that folder path, and when I unzipped it in the Campaigns folder it did not show in PC2. Do you have any OOB files in the Campaigns folder that I can search for to find the right folder location?

Thanks!
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

DL link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmLOw84tw_3Yg4lR8Y ... e=Gzaacg

Installation:

1. Put the file into C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps 2\Campaigns.
2. If the folder "Campaigns" doesn't exist, create it.
3. Unzip.
4. When you start a new came, "Custom Campaigns" should now be active and "GK Spanish Civil War Lite" should be visible.
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

DarkBlueInk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:17 am Does this work with Steam games? I do not have that folder path, and when I unzipped it in the Campaigns folder it did not show in PC2. Do you have any OOB files in the Campaigns folder that I can search for to find the right folder location?

Thanks!
I use steam, so yes.

The path is Documents/My Games, same place save games are stored.
Green Knight
IceSerpent
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by IceSerpent »

Much appreciated, thanks for the mod!
DarkBlueInk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by DarkBlueInk »

Thanks you, GK. I got it to work.

When I unzipped the compressed file, it created an extra folder called "AO0SpainLite v100" under Campaign but above AO0SpainLite. Removing that middle folder did the trick.

Looking forward to trying out your mods.
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

DarkBlueInk wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:13 am Thanks you, GK. I got it to work.

When I unzipped the compressed file, it created an extra folder called "AO0SpainLite v100" under Campaign but above AO0SpainLite. Removing that middle folder did the trick.

Looking forward to trying out your mods.
Glad it worked out.

I'm very interested in feedback, especially regarding the number of infantry under your control. I'm thinking the number should be reduced a bit.
Green Knight
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

nexusno2000 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:19 am
I'm very interested in feedback, especially regarding the number of infantry under your control. I'm thinking the number should be reduced a bit.
I'm only speaking for myself here!. Presently... I am just beginning to start the "Toledo"-Scenario... and So-Far... I have found that the 'Infantry-Complement" is just-right!... I don't see them as being too-much!... I wouldn't want to have any less Spanish-Infantry.
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

Retributarr wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:58 pm
nexusno2000 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:19 am
I'm only speaking for myself here!. Presently... I am just beginning to start the "Toledo"-Scenario... and So-Far... I have found that the 'Infantry-Complement" is just-right!... I don't see them as being too-much!... I wouldn't want to have any less Spanish-Infantry.
Great. Keep the feedback flowing :D
Green Knight
o_t_d_x
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by o_t_d_x »

Thanks, so i dont have to endure the moving, prestige sucking obstacles (ai allies) mostly.

I would suggest, that you reduce the span. infantry a little, because humans play better then the ai allies.
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 »

Thanks, I will try this. Even with cheating, the AI of my allies is just a fucking shitshow assaulting into tanks on open terrain and over bridges. To be fair, the enemy AI sometimes does this as well.

Maybe this is just me, but the core of hexfeld strategy (that includes Panzercorps, Panzergeneral, OoB and so on) was always human control against superior AI numbers. Sure, there was some dumb luck. But you had the brains and the AI had the numbers. Play with the rules, win. If you take the control away without having a great ally AI (challenging, I guess), this just breaks the game. At least for me. I would love some missions with a heavy AI component once in a while, but not all the time.

Still, the research and design and all the briefings and so on are great. But please, do not forget the core of this game.
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

o_t_d_x wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:25 pm Thanks, so i dont have to endure the moving, prestige sucking obstacles (ai allies) mostly.

I would suggest, that you reduce the span. infantry a little, because humans play better then the ai allies.
Very much a first version.

Next step is tweaking number of Spanish units and giving AI Nat their own prestige pool.
Green Knight
o_t_d_x

Post by o_t_d_x »

Is there a newer version outside of steam ?
rafdobrowolski

Post by rafdobrowolski »

Thanks for this mod! Made playing SCW sooo much better!

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”