The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: Themed Event details for Season 9 . . .

Post by pompeytheflatulent » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:09 pm

The Greek (Mercenary) list looks to me like a generic list for the period of increased use of hoplites as mercenaries overseas. Maybe the intent was to have them available as allies for various other army lists, but almost nobody could pick Greek (Mercenary) as allies, and the Greek Mercenary list itself won't allow any allies to be attached. I've been trying to finagle a historically plausible match-up for the northern Thracian theater of the Peloponnesian War but haven't found anything satisfactory, the allies system is just not cooperating.

GDod
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Posts: 944
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:26 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by GDod » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:37 pm

SnuggleBunnies wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:18 pm
I played 36 games this season, and only one was a 0-0 draw
I also played 36 games plus the themed event snuggles and not a single one was a draw. But then again... I love the glory of a headlong charge uphill against impossible odds. So, in my world I believe all draws are self-inflicted!

At the same time, a huge thank you to Pete for the long tortured hours at the keyboard organising, ruling, tabulating, condensing, summarising, compiling, adding (subtracting), multiplying and officiating, and his courageous amount of patience listening and responding to the digi-community's groans, gripes, whinges, whispers, moans, murmuring and muttering, insinuations, stunned silences, and suggestions motions, proposals submissions and recommendations... lest we forget
Finished the season Time  to start the next one.jpg
Finished the season Time to start the next one.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Last edited by GDod on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:46 pm

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by MikeMarchant » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:48 am

To add my own thanks to those of others.

Spectacular job again, Pete, in what feels like a difficult an contentious season. Much gratitude from me for all your hard work; it is much appreciated.

And thanks too, to the rest of the community for making this game special, whether we've battled it out on the field, crossed swrods philosophically in the forums, or just agreed on some obscure point or other.


Best Wishes

Mike

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 11898
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Themed Event details for Season 9 . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:49 am

Another one to add . . .

Cypriot 680-550BC v Egyptian 570-525BC (Egyptian conquest of Cyprus circa 570BC)

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 11898
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Themed Event details for Season 9 . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:02 am

And . . .

Thessalian 404-352BC v Greek 460-281BC (Jason of Pherae)

So that gives us 6 different ones: 3 can be for Groups A and C and the other 3 can be for Groups B and D.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 11898
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Themed Event details for Season 9 . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:23 am

If anyone can make a sound historical case for adding ally options to any of the 6 group stage match-ups then please let me know.

kronenblatt
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:17 pm
Location: Stockholm, SWEDEN

Re: Themed Event details for Season 9 . . .

Post by kronenblatt » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:48 pm

stockwellpete wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:23 am
If anyone can make a sound historical case for adding ally options to any of the 6 group stage match-ups then please let me know.
With "option", you don't mean that the player himself/herself can decide whether to use allies or not, right?
Arranging the The Year of Many Emperors (TYME), Dividing the Spoils (DiSp), and The West is No More (TWiNM) tournaments for Field of Glory II!

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 11898
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Themed Event details for Season 9 . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:05 pm

kronenblatt wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:48 pm
stockwellpete wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:23 am
If anyone can make a sound historical case for adding ally options to any of the 6 group stage match-ups then please let me know.
With "option", you don't mean that the player himself/herself can decide whether to use allies or not, right?
No. I mean if allies were present historically in any of those 6 match-ups.

General Shapur
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:25 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by General Shapur » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:27 am

A small suggestion for the next season.

As you know, we all pick 4 armies and priority goes to those at the top of the list. When there is a duplicate choice the later listed player gets his second choice etc. It may happen that in rare cases a player has all his choices voided if lower ranked players have all ready made those selections - forcing a fifth choice. What I propose is if a lower ranked players choice would force a higher ranked player to make a 5th choice, then that player takes their alternate second or third choice allowing the higher ranked player to at least take their 4th choice, and so on up the line.

hope that makes sense. I have enough trouble getting a 4th i'm happy with. If we follow my suggestion, there should be no need for 5ths. - what do you think Pete?
Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future, too. M.A.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 11898
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:29 am

General Shapur wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:27 am
A small suggestion for the next season.

As you know, we all pick 4 armies and priority goes to those at the top of the list. When there is a duplicate choice the later listed player gets his second choice etc. It may happen that in rare cases a player has all his choices voided if lower ranked players have all ready made those selections - forcing a fifth choice. What I propose is if a lower ranked players choice would force a higher ranked player to make a 5th choice, then that player takes their alternate second or third choice allowing the higher ranked player to at least take their 4th choice, and so on up the line.

hope that makes sense. I have enough trouble getting a 4th i'm happy with. If we follow my suggestion, there should be no need for 5ths. - what do you think Pete?

I don't think it would work because usually it is the ninth or tenth player in the allocation list who is occasionally asked to make a fifth selection. If, at that point, after allocating 8 or 9 armies, I then have to go back to a player near the top of the list and change their army, it is likely that the new change will then invalidate an army choice of another player somewhere in the middle of the list - and then the process will be broken.

I do not get any complaints when a player is asked to make a fifth choice, but the simplest way to avoid fifth choices is to say that a player will always get their fourth choice even if that army has already been taken. I could do that if people think it is necessary.

pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: Themed Event details for Season 9 . . .

Post by pompeytheflatulent » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:42 pm

Cypriot 680-550BC

I think we found Ludendorf's spirit animal. 34 Phoenician style foot plus 10 raw hoplites. :lol:

hscic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: Themed Event details for Season 9 . . .

Post by hscic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:07 pm

Hello everybody.
I suggest Lydian 553 -546 against Achaemenid Persian 553 - 546.
Lydian army had various contingents of hoplites even coming from Sparta. They fought a couple of interesting battles. The first at Pteria in 546 - 547 (? ) B.C. and the secod and more deciseve in Thymbra (546) B.C.. This battle is also famous because Cyrus, the persian king, deployed his troup in a great square formation that was the first recorded deviation from the normal parallel order of combat (cifr. The Collins Encyclopedia of Military History :-))
Also a strong Egyptian contingent was part of the Lydian forces.
hscic

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 11898
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Re: Themed Event details for Season 9 . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:16 pm

hscic wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:07 pm
Hello everybody.
I suggest Lydian 553 -546 against Achaemenid Persian 553 - 546.
Lydian army had various contingents of hoplites even coming from Sparta. They fought a couple of interesting battles. The first at Pteria in 546 - 547 (? ) B.C. and the secod and more deciseve in Thymbra (546) B.C.. This battle is also famous because Cyrus, the persian king, deployed his troup in a great square formation that was the first recorded deviation from the normal parallel order of combat (cifr. The Collins Encyclopedia of Military History :-))
Also a strong Egyptian contingent was part of the Lydian forces.
hscic
Yes, we have that as the second match-up on the list. Unfortunately, it is not possible to add Egyptian allies to that army. The Lydians can only have Greek allies in FOG2.

SnuggleBunnies
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:09 am

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:38 pm

My Hebrew army was a fifth choice, and I did just fine with them, so I've no complaints. I know some people are attached to certain types of armies so it could be harder on them to miss all of their choices, but that's not the case for me.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by pompeytheflatulent » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:46 pm

I really don't like the whole gaming of army selection and chasing the meta thing. Results in way too little variety of armies. Can't Pete just assign everyone armies based on whim and nepotism?

TomoeGozen
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:37 pm

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by TomoeGozen » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:27 am

pompeytheflatulent wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:46 pm
I really don't like the whole gaming of army selection and chasing the meta thing. Results in way too little variety of armies. Can't Pete just assign everyone armies based on whim and nepotism?
Don't we have the Chaos Tournament for that? (Although I'm sure Karvon's methods are more scientific than that......)

kronenblatt
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:17 pm
Location: Stockholm, SWEDEN

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by kronenblatt » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:43 am

pompeytheflatulent wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:46 pm
I really don't like the whole gaming of army selection and chasing the meta thing. Results in way too little variety of armies. Can't Pete just assign everyone armies based on whim and nepotism?
Or how about a fixed list of armies (Pete's selection for each season), with as many armies to choose from that there are players in each division (every division in an era having the same armies, but a division with more players will require some additional armies)? With the lowest rated player picking first, the second lowest rated player picking thereafter, and so on, and finally the top rated player "picking" the only remaining army (sorry, Ludendorf: not personal ;) ). Would add the nice feature of each new season potentially having a "theme" for the army list selection.
Arranging the The Year of Many Emperors (TYME), Dividing the Spoils (DiSp), and The West is No More (TWiNM) tournaments for Field of Glory II!

harveylh
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:32 pm

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by harveylh » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:12 pm

I think our current system of picking armies works well and handicaps the better players (including myself) from getting the best armies. This makes for more competitive play and a more enjoyable season.

Harvey

kronenblatt
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:17 pm
Location: Stockholm, SWEDEN

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by kronenblatt » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:38 pm

harveylh wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:12 pm
I think our current system of picking armies works well and handicaps the better players (including myself) from getting the best armies.
Given that everyone knows which armies are the "best", since better players probably also know better which armies are "good" and which are not.
Arranging the The Year of Many Emperors (TYME), Dividing the Spoils (DiSp), and The West is No More (TWiNM) tournaments for Field of Glory II!

Schweetness101
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 am

Re: The Rally Point (discussion, questions and some highbrow philosophising)

Post by Schweetness101 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:52 pm

pompeytheflatulent wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:46 pm
I really don't like the whole gaming of army selection and chasing the meta thing. Results in way too little variety of armies. Can't Pete just assign everyone armies based on whim and nepotism?
I also support basing army list selection on nepotism...but what about unit selection within the army? should that also be pre-determined?

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”