Caster of Magic Can't Update to 6.04

Incanur
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Caster of Magic Can't Update to 6.04

Post by Incanur »

I recently purchased Master of Magic & Caster of Magic from the Slitherine website. I've had a blast so far; Caster of Magic strikes me as MoM as it should have been. I didn't notice in bugs or any problems other than turns taking very long late in the game. (Is there a way to fix that? I can't figure out to adjust DOSBox setting for the launcher.) However, today I used the launcher to check for updates. It tries to download version 6.04 but fails. It's given me various errors & once refused to close at all, but most recently it instructed me to contact Slitherine for help. Windows Defender did pop up the first time & I thought I gave permission, but that may be the issue. Thank you for the assistance.
Incanur

Re: Caster of Magic Can't Update to 6.04

Post by Incanur »

Update: I downloaded the updater directly from the Slitherine website & that worked fine. I'm still curious about how to improve performance. One readme file says to change DOSBox settings to dynamic core & 100,000 cycles (or some such) to avoid long turns but I can't figure out how to do with the DOSBox bundled with the launcher.
Seravy
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Caster of Magic Can't Update to 6.04

Post by Seravy »

There should be a dosboxmom.conf file with the settings.
It should be set to 100000 by default but depending on your computer, up to 200-250k works and doubles performance.
Unfortunately, emulation is slow so once there are a lot of units in play to process, AI turns can take as much as 30-90 seconds.
(disabling "enemy moves" setting can help a lot, as animating the moves you see tends to be the largest time waster once the game reaches the stage where a lot of visible enemy units move each turn)

Return to “Master of Magic: Tech Support”