Panzer Corps 2 - Axis Operations: 1939 is out

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2 - Axis Operations: 1939 is out

Post by AlbertoC »

The second chapter of the Axis Operations series of DLCs is now available.

Take command of the Wehrmacht in the first crucial year of war. With the valuable lessons learned from the Spanish Civil War behind them, Germany turns towards the rest of Europe with vengeance in its eyes. Vengeance for the treatment of their country under the despised Treaty of Versailles.

While the Allies attempt to pursue their strategy of Appeasement, Germany moves to secure more and more lost territory. After the 1938 annexation of the Sudetenland, the decision is made to gobble up the rest of Czechoslovakia. Once again, your commanding ability will be put to test...

Explore both obscure and well known battles of World War II through various scenarios and bonus mission objectives taken straight from the pages of history. In addition to normal combat, you'll be tasked objectives such as capturing Czechoslovakian factories without bloodshed , setting up minefields to delay the French Saar Offensive, securing Bzura River bridges against massive Polish counterattacks, and even seizing control of tiny Denmark to clear the way for Operation Weserübung: the invasion of Norway.

The Axis Operations continue

The end of 1939 is not the end of your campaign though, it is merely the latest step. At the conclusion of Axis Operations 1939, players will again be presented with the option to save their core force for use in the next installment of the Axis Operations Campaign.
Any campaign of the Axis Operations can be played individually as a standalone campaign.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Axis Operations: 1939 is out

Post by Kerensky »

I adore those little 2 minute content explanations. Imma have to 'borrow' it for my FAQ thread for sure. =D
smashtheaxis
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by smashtheaxis »

Kind of shocking to hear the line "Germany moves to secure more and more lost territory" in the clip, referring to Sudetenland and the "rest" of Czechoslovakia. The territory the Nazis claimed from Czechoslovakia wasn't part of Germany before, it wasn't "lost" like say Danzig oder Memelland. And "rest of CZ" sounds too close to the actual Nazi term "Rest-Tschechei".

I must say that PC2 is often too much "in character" for my taste in the briefings/debriefings. It sometimes feels like it outright glorifies fascist victories. And some lines are far over the line, for my taste, like "for the victory of the german reich!" ones at the end of briefings (might not the exact wording, just from memory)..

Perhaps you could at least include some additional information in the "actual history" bits of the debriefings from a non-fascist or civilian perspective. So that the player learns what the battle they just fought meant for the other side or the victims, for some better understanding of the context.
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

"Debriefings!!!":

For which-ever side -[When eventually there is a choice of sides] that the player is playing... Why-Not... "First!" have a debriefing from the side that the player is currently playing [Their 'National-Ideological-Slant' or 'Their- Preferred- View' or 'Analysis' of the situation.]… and then an 'Optional'... comment or 'take'... or a 'final determination' of events from the opposition from the other side.

This way!... a better 'Picture' or 'Flavor' of the concerning time-period-event is portrayed... so as to 'Enhance the Immersion' of the Game!.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

smashtheaxis wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 am Kind of shocking to hear the line "Germany moves to secure more and more lost territory" in the clip, referring to Sudetenland and the "rest" of Czechoslovakia.
The narrator says: "After the annexation of the Sudentenland, the decision is made to gobble up the rest of Czechoslovakia."

I'm not sure I'd equate 'gobbling up' with 'reclaiming lost land'. Different terminology was used very carefully here to make this very important distinction. :)
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

smashtheaxis wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 am Kind of shocking to hear the line "Germany moves to secure more and more lost territory" in the clip, referring to Sudetenland and the "rest" of Czechoslovakia. The territory the Nazis claimed from Czechoslovakia wasn't part of Germany before, it wasn't "lost" like say Danzig oder Memelland. And "rest of CZ" sounds too close to the actual Nazi term "Rest-Tschechei".

I must say that PC2 is often too much "in character" for my taste in the briefings/debriefings. It sometimes feels like it outright glorifies fascist victories. And some lines are far over the line, for my taste, like "for the victory of the german reich!" ones at the end of briefings (might not the exact wording, just from memory)..

Perhaps you could at least include some additional information in the "actual history" bits of the debriefings from a non-fascist or civilian perspective. So that the player learns what the battle they just fought meant for the other side or the victims, for some better understanding of the context.
I actually thinks the game is very careful when it comes to symbolism, wording and tone (example in civilian POWs in AO 1939...). If it went historical all the way it could be a lot more controversial, but aside from making game "journalists" go insane it would serve little practical purpose.
Boneland
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Boneland »

Dear authors of the game, in the last DLC concerning Czechoslovakia, you committed tragic inconsistencies, and at the same time it was enough to search a bit. The defense of the Czechoslovak Republic had meaning and a chance for success only in 1938. When Germany was definitely not ready for war and the defeat of the Czechoslovak Republic was not a matter of days, but months. It is important to be aware of the assistance of the Czechoslovak Republic from the USSR, Romania and partly Yugoslavia. Also in 1938 German tanks, all, still lacked cementation and was pierced from 100 meters from the side with a machine gun. And so on, I am a historian regarding the potential defense of the Czechoslovak Republic.

If your DLC should concern the occupation of the rest in 1939, then it is also nonsense, because the Czechoslovak army was demobilized after the betrayal of the Western Allies from outside Munich. Because without borders, defense in 1939 was simply impossible. Then, of course, I don't understand why you have Dresden on the DLC map, for example. After the betrayal, the Czechoslovak Republic ended up in Mělník from this direction. I adore the Panzer Corps, but this is a terribly bad job. Please rename the DLC to 1938 operational. Interestingly, in the case of the defense of the Czechoslovak Republic in 1938, there would probably be no war for a long time, because Germany, by occupying the Czechoslovak Republic, acquired armaments of high quality for 42 divisions, ie the production of the entire German industry in 2.5 years. For example, when occupying Poland, Czech tanks were LT 35 and 8 75 percent of all German tanks. When occupying France then 50 percent.
Kraxler
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Kraxler »

I cannot set up any troops during the voluntary Finland winter campaign or during the Weser exercise in Denmark, so the game is no longer playable for me
brettwjohnson
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

PC2 AO:1939 - 1st Scenario Objectives

Post by brettwjohnson »

I'm playing the first scenario and honestly I'm very irritated...

I don't know who on the design team thought "Kill ZERO enemy units" was a good idea, but it's AWFUL. Not killing too many units is a good bonus objective, but zero is simply unrealistic and incredibly frustrating. After 5 attempts or so, I'm ready to punt on the whole DLC.

1) There is no "be peaceful" or "Fire only X of Y" setting for attacks (i.e., try for suppression not kills). Only artillery and Strat Bombers (which are unavailable) do more suppression than kills. So a lot of the time, you can't even attack - especially weak units.
2) There isn't even an exception for when the enemy attacks you (and you can do NOTHING). This is simply bad design choice as it's not under the player's control.
4) Instead of getting a "BONUS" if you achieve the result, you actually get a PENALTY (-5 commendation) for failing it.
5) Thinking I was being clever, I set up for a "surrender" result - but this also counted as "killing a unit". So another tool, the player doesn't have...
6) AI issue - when the AI units become weak, instead of retreating (which would be a more realistic behavior), they advance. This is problematic, since you don't have the ability to kill them.

I would strongly urge a change to this objective and how it works.
1) Set a more realistic # than zero (e.g., >=3)
2) Do NOT count any kills for when the AI initiates the attack.
3) Either change the text from "Bonus" to "Penalty" or change when you get the 5 commendation points to getting award at end of scenario for achieving the objective, not -5 for failing it.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Kraxler wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:43 am I cannot set up any troops during the voluntary Finland winter campaign or during the Weser exercise in Denmark, so the game is no longer playable for me
Limited deployment is a new feature. Warsaw is a huge battle, and the following battles scale back slightly, to give players a chance to recover.

Note this pop up message about 'limited deployment'

Put a few units into reserve to bring your CORE slots under the scenario limit, and deploy zones will reactivate.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: PC2 AO:1939 - 1st Scenario Objectives

Post by Kerensky »

brettwjohnson wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:46 pm I'm playing the first scenario and honestly I'm very irritated...

I don't know who on the design team thought "Kill ZERO enemy units" was a good idea, but it's AWFUL. Not killing too many units is a good bonus objective, but zero is simply unrealistic and incredibly frustrating. After 5 attempts or so, I'm ready to punt on the whole DLC.

1) There is no "be peaceful" or "Fire only X of Y" setting for attacks (i.e., try for suppression not kills). Only artillery and Strat Bombers (which are unavailable) do more suppression than kills. So a lot of the time, you can't even attack - especially weak units.
2) There isn't even an exception for when the enemy attacks you (and you can do NOTHING). This is simply bad design choice as it's not under the player's control.
4) Instead of getting a "BONUS" if you achieve the result, you actually get a PENALTY (-5 commendation) for failing it.
5) Thinking I was being clever, I set up for a "surrender" result - but this also counted as "killing a unit". So another tool, the player doesn't have...
6) AI issue - when the AI units become weak, instead of retreating (which would be a more realistic behavior), they advance. This is problematic, since you don't have the ability to kill them.

I would strongly urge a change to this objective and how it works.
1) Set a more realistic # than zero (e.g., >=3)
2) Do NOT count any kills for when the AI initiates the attack.
3) Either change the text from "Bonus" to "Penalty" or change when you get the 5 commendation points to getting award at end of scenario for achieving the objective, not -5 for failing it.
As a bonus objective, you can ignore it and just play like normal if it's giving you that much grief. :)

We anticipated at least a few players would struggle here, so we even made a step by step guide if you really, REALLY need to go after that bonus objective.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/107204 ... 2333048168
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

This is a nice AAR, & folks should know that if they want to download these particular 'guides', click on 'Print' & save as a 'PDF'.
btw...after spending hours downloading & installing the new patch, :( I decided to purchase this new DLC. :)

One, very annoying, aspect of these 'dlcs' is each one to date is approximately '1.3 gbs' to download.
The install process takes less than 2 seconds, so that tells me the actual 'dlcs' contents are not '1.3 gbs' of data.
The game is excellent, the storage capacity required to keep up with the 'updates' & 'dlcs' is rediculous. imho
LostAgain

Post by LostAgain »

I need some help people. I went to the Slitherine store and bought both new PC2 downloads, as well as 8 or 9 Order of Battle downloads. I just bought a $1700.00 gaming computer and exceed all requirements for both games. Problem is, both of the games are in Steam and now when I try and download the new DLC’s I’m immediately informed I don’t have either game! HELP??? How do I unite the two?
LostAgain

Post by LostAgain »

I need some help people. I went to the Slitherine store and bought both new PC2 downloads, as well as 8 or 9 Order of Battle downloads. I just bought a $1700.00 gaming computer and exceed all requirements for both games. Problem is, both of the games are in
LostAgain

Post by LostAgain »

I need some help people. I went to the Slitherine store and bought both new PC2 DLC’s, as well as 8 or 9 Order of Battle DLC’s. I just bought a $1700.00 gaming computer and exceed all requirements for both games. Problem is, both of the base games are in Steam, and as I bought directly from the store, (they roped me in with a 50% off your next purchase coupon), when I try and download the DLC’s they immediately inform me that I don’t have the base games. How do I link the two?
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

LostAgain wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:12 pm I need some help people. I went to the Slitherine store and bought both new PC2 DLC’s, as well as 8 or 9 Order of Battle DLC’s. I just bought a $1700.00 gaming computer and exceed all requirements for both games. Problem is, both of the base games are in Steam, and as I bought directly from the store, (they roped me in with a 50% off your next purchase coupon), when I try and download the DLC’s they immediately inform me that I don’t have the base games. How do I link the two?
If you bought from Slitherline, they give you a Steam Key on your download page, that should allow you to play with your Steam Install.
This question should be posted in the Tech Support Forum because that is where the Slitherline support people hang out.

They will not give you the base game from your Steam purchase. If you can not get a Steam Key from Slitherline you may need to ask for a refund.
If you by from Slitherline you get a Steam Key, if you buy from Steam you do not get a Slitherline Key.

I do not know how Slitherline will handle this [DLC without base game], but they should give you a Steam Key, if not it would be good to know.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
pbates

Post by pbates »

Does anyone know what the next DLC will cover? Is there any plans to be able to link the conclusion of one of your DLC's with one of the current campaigns in the base game? For Example if I want to start the Barbarossa Campaign I could import the concluding army from the Axis Operations 1939.

I really enjoyed the latest DLC and looking forward to the next one.
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

pbates wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:56 pm Does anyone know what the next DLC will cover? Is there any plans to be able to link the conclusion of one of your DLC's with one of the current campaigns in the base game? For Example if I want to start the Barbarossa Campaign I could import the concluding army from the Axis Operations 1939.
The publisher [Slitherline] has not announced anything yet. They schedule and release the DLCs.

Kerensky is working on AO40, but that doesn't mean he will be done soon, or that it will be released next.
Deciding what scenarios to do can take as much time as the scenarios themselves.
There are discussions on this site on what to do next and how to do it. They are reading these posts and they may affect what is done.

No there is no plan to import your core from AO39 into the main campaign, but there may be mods to do it.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
jmiller23
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jmiller23 »

LostAgain wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:03 pm I need some help people. I went to the Slitherine store and bought both new PC2 downloads, as well as 8 or 9 Order of Battle downloads. I just bought a $1700.00 gaming computer and exceed all requirements for both games. Problem is, both of the games are in Steam and now when I try and download the new DLC’s I’m immediately informed I don’t have either game! HELP??? How do I unite the two?
did you try turning off your firewall settings.? in the past that usually cured any issues i had with downloads. 99% of the time.
jmiller23
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jmiller23 »

i have a couple of questions,
1. i finished the DLC for the 1939 campaign i think? i played the denmark battle ended then just went back to the main menu. was that the last battle for the 1939 DLC? dot get me wrong it was all good loved playing but just kind of an abrupt ending to main menu. no option to save core army, no hey thanks for playing look for the 1940 DLC coming soon? and i cant find a list of scenarios to check if that truly was the last battle for it?

2. i don't know if this was a Glitch or if i was just reading the screen wrong. when any enemy recon was by my force and his my adjacent unit got to benefit from the ability of the enemy recon. but i swear their recon gave me an attack bonus.

any way love it so far keeps getting better. look forward to your replies. TY

Return to “News & Announcements”