Thoughts on Field of Glory: Empires?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Gray Fox
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Thoughts on Field of Glory: Empires?

Post by Gray Fox »

Welcome!

I think that the decadence system makes the game uniquely great. Like the Dreadnought for battleships, all other strategy games suddenly were way behind.

I've posted several AARs you can read through. I've played the one region factions of Rhodus and Burgundy as well as the major factions like Carthage and the Antigonids. The game is a solid blend of strategy where you control production, warfare and dynamic decisions for the direction of your faction. The game has a decent stand alone combat system that also allows players the option to use FOG 2 to fight out battles at a tactical level. The Devs are very responsive and the game has changed to meet player desires.

I was a beta tester, so I have pushed the game to the limits. I bought the game without a discount because it's epic.
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players
Samstra's Trade guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805684085
vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by vaalen »

I bought this game as soon as it came out, and have played it regularly ever since. I did the same with the DLC.

If I could have only one game, of all the hundreds I have played, this would be my choice, no question. The game was great on release, but has become much better and even easier to play with the great patches, which not only fix issues, but add wonderful new content to the game. The DLC adds many great new things, and these additions make even the original campaign scenario much better.

Playing Rome is fascinating, but I have also played Macedon, Judea, Persia, and now Armenia. Every nation has played very differently, and i have enjoyed them all. I could go for ten pages and still not cover everything I love about this game.

I recommend this game above all others, without reservation.
Altipueri
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Altipueri »

Praise indeed from you Vaalen.
I must try again with this game - but my poor old eyesight trying to read the micro-fiche text :)
Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox »

What happened to the original post and who edited his name out of my post? I didn't start this thread.

P.S. Okay, I see that the OP has an error in his thread.
Last edited by Gray Fox on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players
Samstra's Trade guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805684085
vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by vaalen »

Altipueri wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:16 pm Praise indeed from you Vaalen.
I must try again with this game - but my poor old eyesight trying to read the micro-fiche text :)
I have also had problems reading the tiny text, but I found solutions.

Are you familiar with Windows magnifer? If not, I suggest that you learn about using it.

It is a part of Windows that can be used to magnify the entire screen,or as a virtual magnifying glass, and allows multiple magnifications. It will work with this game, but only if you use the proper graphic settings in the options page of the game.

This means setting the resolution to the native resolution of your monitor, and

Setting the window type to "borderless window".

By default, the window type is set to "Full screen", and windows magnifier will not work with this setting.

At this point, using windows magnifier in this game has become very easy for me.

I also have used a strong magnifying glass to read the text, but I have found it much easier to use windows magnifier.

Hope this helps

regards,

Vaalen
"
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

Altipueri wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:16 pm Praise indeed from you Vaalen.
Try this simple...fix.

viewtopic.php?t=92718
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Try this simple...fix.
Here is a zip of 3 sizes to try.
Attachments
LargerTextFonts.zip
(1 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Last edited by eddieballgame on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Altipueri

Post by Altipueri »

Thanks Eddie.
JamesM
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by JamesM »

This is a classic 1 more turn games. I keep on saying one more turn before I go to bed. a Couple of hours later I finally stop playing an go to bed. I admit the decadence system forces you to consolidate before you expand further. The decadence system is the hardest thing to learn in this game, I am still a long way off from understanding it.
Epiruswarrior

Post by Epiruswarrior »

I must say I gained a lot of respect for the devs that not only made finally a worthy game for the era [after playing the Imperator Rome which was barebones and designed in lazy way and oversimplified], but introducing the decadence system which is what brought Greek and Roman empires down and decadence system is basically a history lesion. Not only they mention the decadence that made the empires fall but if you looking at today world its exactly what is wrong, it is a historic recurrence over and over again with decadence ,people learned nothing from the past and this is why those who manipulate it, rule.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Thanks, praises are always appreciated (even if we know there is ALWAYS room for improvements). If you have a Steam account, don't hesitate to post a thumb up there :)
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
Epiruswarrior

Post by Epiruswarrior »

Pocus wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:36 am Thanks, praises are always appreciated (even if we know there is ALWAYS room for improvements). If you have a Steam account, don't hesitate to post a thumb up there :)
You got my full support in steam also as you guys deserve it. In regards to improvements my suggestion would go to adding to recruitment more units from conquested provinces as well unlocking buildings. In Imperator Rome and especially in Europa Universalis - Rome, when you conquest Rome as Epirus, and even prior you can produce all their units and as well all their buildings are accessible to be build. Also prior that the game Europa Universalis - Rome, gives you two option to go the Roman route, with buildings tech and especially with units, or Hellenic route. That would become a great improvement especially if you conquest Rome, and also the same should be done when conquesting Macedonia the Macedonian units should be unlocked unlocked along the buildings. It makes sense since you gain all their technology r&D in culture, architecture and military. Conquesting this empires should allow your empire to adapt and incorporate all their military ,architecture, culture and military R&D so you would have far more options and that is the point of conquesting main empires, since the land is available everywhere so that not should be the focus. Right now you are to limited what you can incorporate so please consider this proposition to upgrade the game to allow all what was mentioned, it would mean a lot and great selling point. Gaining after conquesting romans as other empires, roman army weapons, roman army divison tactics and strategies, and roman army uniform and armor would mean a lot along the bulidng techniques and building themselves, also gaining Macedonians armies R&D and Spartan, as well as Athenian navy R&D and politics and architecture R&D would mean a lot and give a reason to conquest them. Rome incorporated a lot from those that they conquested from Greeks they have taken a lot of things and I don't see why should be vice versa if you conquest Rome as Epirus, or Macedon as Epirus, Sparta as Epirus and Athens as Epirus you should gain access to all their R&D in every field.

Regards.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”