Field of Glory 2: Medieval - Time Warp

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Mantuvec
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory 2: Medieval - Time Warp

Post by Mantuvec »

A new patch (v. 1.0.2) for Field of Glory II: Medieval has arrived and will allow all owners of the game to create their own “Time Warp”. 

This new feature allows custom battles to be fought between Ancient armies and Medieval armies (or vice versa), and it will be possible to create an infinite number of customized "what-if" battle situations that can be played against an AI or in multiplayer.

So if you ever wanted to find out how Normans would have fared against Augustus’s legions, or Assyrians against Teutonic Knights, now is your chance.

Note that it will not be possible to create a fight between two Ancient armies

To set up an anachronistic matchup you will need to click on the “Select another module” button (in the Custom Battle setup screen) and turn off the Date and Geographical filters in the Enemy Army List selection panel. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bug Fixes:

- Fixed bug that allowed Player B in MP custom battles to move troops on first turn if he hit Cancel when the game asked if you wanted to end the turn and upload to the server.
- Fix bug that messed up the MP Kalka River epic battle scenario.
- Fixed bug that could cause duplicate general names in campaign battle if general’s unit dismounted before additional general added.
- Fixed bug that prevented geographical filter from working correctly in Sandbox Campaigns if player side was set as Pot Luck and enemy side was specified.
- Corrected some minor discrepancies in French and German translations.
- Added correct tooltips to Minimap options in Settings screen.

Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Field of Glory 2: Medieval - Time Warp

Post by Dux Limitis »

Personally I think it's a bad feature because it can't well simulate the battle between the the Ancient army and the Medieval army especially the cavalry fight,after my knights lose the close combat to the late Roman cataphracts and random lose to some other ancient cavalry.I mean the Ancient Roman cavalry don't have stirrup(It's really important) and spurs also their saddles are not better than their High Medieval counterparts(Most of the cavalry in the Ancient world too,and they don't have stirrups),and even more unmanoeuvrable than knights in close combat if they're cataphracts,they don't have the chance to beat down knights in close combat even sergeants.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Dux Limitis wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:41 pm Personally I think it's a bad feature because it can't well simulate the battle between the the Ancient army and the Medieval army especially the cavalry fight,after my knights lose the close combat to the late Roman cataphracts and random lose to some other ancient cavalry.I mean the Ancient Roman cavalry don't have stirrup(It's really important) and spurs also their saddles are not better than their High Medieval counterparts(Most of the cavalry in the Ancient world too,and they don't have stirrups),and even more unmanoeuvrable than knights in close combat if they're cataphracts,they don't have the chance to beat down knights in close combat even sergeants.
The game isn't designed to accurately simulate conflict between anachronistic armies.

Time Warp is a free "fun" option for those who want it. It isn't supposed to be a serious simulation of what would happen if an Ancient army met a Medieval army. What would be the point of a "serious" simulation of something that could never happen?

You are entirely free to ignore Time Warp completely. It has cost you nothing.
Richard Bodley Scott

Horde
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Horde »

Thanks for the update, I think it´s a great improvement and it´s free. But I couldn´t download it; when I tried, a message appears saying:

"Error.

Unable to download file.
An error occurred while trying to open an FTP file"

Does anybody know what can be causing this?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i like it, and it's fun, mainly playing the Romans against other periods of heavy cav and seeing how they manage to play, so very enjoyable and another fun part of the game imo
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Horde wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:17 pm Thanks for the update, I think it´s a great improvement and it´s free. But I couldn´t download it; when I tried, a message appears saying:

"Error.

Unable to download file.

try a different browser or install the game and run the game as admin, which sets up the correct file permissions to run and work with the AV and built in firewall programs
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:08 pm
Dux Limitis wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:41 pm Personally I think it's a bad feature because it can't well simulate the battle between the the Ancient army and the Medieval army especially the cavalry fight,after my knights lose the close combat to the late Roman cataphracts and random lose to some other ancient cavalry.I mean the Ancient Roman cavalry don't have stirrup(It's really important) and spurs also their saddles are not better than their High Medieval counterparts(Most of the cavalry in the Ancient world too,and they don't have stirrups),and even more unmanoeuvrable than knights in close combat if they're cataphracts,they don't have the chance to beat down knights in close combat even sergeants.
Time Warp is a free "fun" option for those who want it. It isn't supposed to be a serious simulation of what would happen if an Ancient army met a Medieval army. What would be the point of a "serious" simulation of something that could never happen?

You are entirely free to ignore Time Warp completely. It has cost you nothing.
Sure thing.But still,there's only one thing is more accurate than the Ancient verus Medieval cavalry in this mode,that's in the end the Medieval armies can defeat most of the Ancient armies and don't take too much casualties(If the player on the Medieval side).
Horde
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Horde »

zakblood wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:21 pm
Horde wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:17 pm Thanks for the update, I think it´s a great improvement and it´s free. But I couldn´t download it; when I tried, a message appears saying:

"Error.

Unable to download file.

try a different browser or install the game and run the game as admin, which sets up the correct file permissions to run and work with the AV and built in firewall programs
Thanks for your answer!
Mord
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

When I first heard about Time Warp I wasn't sure I'd bother with it, but I ended up spending a good part of yesterday relaxing and just loading up various armies and checking them out on the battlefield. It's a unique little feature that adds a huge amount of content to the game. Less than a month out since release and we are given such a cool addition to engage our imaginations and spark some historical fantasy match-ups. Excellent work, Richard! Thanks much!

Mord.

P.S. What's going on in that screen shot? Campaign battle, in the desert?
Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

zakblood wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:21 pm

"Error.

Unable to download file.

Same problem here, error popup appears when I try to download the update via Autorun. Runnig it as Admin doesn't help. Never experienced update problems with Slitherine games before.

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Mord wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:18 pmP.S. What's going on in that screen shot? Campaign battle, in the desert?
I guess the Holy Roman Emperor is leading a crusade against the pagan Assyrians.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Have you tried these links?
SamSlitherine wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:24 pm Hi,

Apologies for any inconvenience - we are looking into this. For anyone experiencing any issues, please use this link to download the patch. https://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Fieldof ... .00.02.zip

You can also find a games updates and downloads from it's product page on our site. https://www.slitherine.com/game/field-o ... i-medieval (in the downloads section)
Richard Bodley Scott

Mord

Post by Mord »

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:02 pm
I guess the Holy Roman Emperor is leading a crusade against the pagan Assyrians.

LOL. You need to change your name to Richard Bodley Coy. And how might one make that happen? I can't find any desert terrain amongst the files.

Mord.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Mord wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:55 pm
rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:02 pm

LOL. You need to change your name to Richard Bodley Coy. And how might one make that happen? I can't find any desert terrain amongst the files.

Mord.
Interesting question. One I am not at liberty to answer. Just to obfuscate things further, I will say that that is old FOG2 terrain not FOG2 Medieval terrain. Make of that what you will.
Richard Bodley Scott

Mord

Post by Mord »

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:59 pm

Interesting question. One I am not at liberty to answer. Just to obfuscate things further, I will say that that is old FOG2 terrain not FOG2 Medieval terrain. Make of that what you will.
I gotchya. Plans within plans and all that. I figured it was something secret that slipped through.

Mord.
Horde
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Horde »

Adebar wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:48 pm
Same problem here, error popup appears when I try to download the update via Autorun. Runnig it as Admin doesn't help. Never experienced update problems with Slitherine games before.
I managed to update it by using the direct download links, I think they are the same that Richard Bodley posted there, so I guess the issue is the autorun. Hope you manage to solve it!
Well, I woulnd like to fight against this guy in close combat, stirrupts or not. I think that, if anything, knights are overpowered, not the other way.

GryfoCezar
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by GryfoCezar »

I love the time warp. It's not balanced, but still a lots of fun.
Concussus surgo
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Horde wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:10 am
Adebar wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:48 pm
I managed to update it by using the direct download links, I think they are the same that Richard Bodley posted there, so I guess the issue is the autorun. Hope you manage to solve it!
Well, I woulnd like to fight against this guy in close combat, stirrupts or not. I think that, if anything, knights are overpowered, not the other way.

First thing first,he can't sit steadily on the horse than knights no matter in close combat or in peacetime because he don't have stirrupts and a higher saddle like Medieval one,he have much bigger risk of falling off the horse or out of balance when fighting with knights.Also the Norman knights defeated Byzantine cavalry serval times in Italy,11th century,unless you think the Late Roman cavalry are better than their successors after many centuries(And the Byzantines do have stirrupts at that time).The last thing is,he armoured not much better than the knights from the 12th-13th century,and only a bit better than mid-late 11th century ones(Except of the horse armour,but that will only make him more unmanoeuvrable in close combat).
Knights from the mid-late 11th century,12th century,and 13th century:
Attachments
20210227221612.jpg
20210227221612.jpg (121.63 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
20210227221756.jpg
20210227221756.jpg (64.46 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
20210227221827.jpg
20210227221827.jpg (40.01 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
Horde
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Horde »

Dux Limitis wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:55 pm First thing first,he can't sit steadily on the horse than knights no matter in close combat or in peacetime because he don't have stirrupts and a higher saddle like Medieval one,he have much bigger risk of falling off the horse or out of balance when fighting with knights.Also the Norman knights defeated Byzantine cavalry serval times in Italy,11th century,unless you think the Late Roman cavalry are better than their successors after many centuries(And the Byzantines do have stirrupts at that time).
Well, Byzantines defeated Normans sometimes too. In the 11th century in Cannae or Larissa, on the 12th century on Demetritzes. In Dyrrhachium the Norman broke the center but lost both wings.
Dux Limitis wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:55 pm,unless you think the Late Roman cavalry are better than their successors after many centuries(And the Byzantines do have stirrupts at that time)
Well, why should they be worse? Were, let´s say, Byzantine footmen better than hoplites of the Peloponesian wars? Be "better" or "worse" depends on many things, and I don´t think the technological advance between 5th and 11th century was so important a factor that could bring a deterministic victory to the Byzantines.
Dux Limitis wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:55 pmThe last thing is,he armoured not much better than the knights from the 12th-13th century,and only a bit better than mid-late 11th century ones(Except of the horse armour,but that will only make him more unmanoeuvrable in close combat).
Great images! But I was not saying that knights were worse (in this game, as I´ve posted somewhere, they are better than other cavalry in impact and melee, and I have somo discrepancies with the latter thing), I was just saying that I wouldn´t like to face a cataphract even with stirrups! Also, you said that even sergeants should win.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Horde wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:52 pm
Dux Limitis wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:55 pm First thing first,he can't sit steadily on the horse than knights no matter in close combat or in peacetime because he don't have stirrupts and a higher saddle like Medieval one,he have much bigger risk of falling off the horse or out of balance when fighting with knights.Also the Norman knights defeated Byzantine cavalry serval times in Italy,11th century,unless you think the Late Roman cavalry are better than their successors after many centuries(And the Byzantines do have stirrupts at that time).
Well, Byzantines defeated Normans sometimes too. In the 11th century in Cannae or Larissa, on the 12th century on Demetritzes. In Dyrrhachium the Norman broke the center but lost both wings.
Dux Limitis wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:55 pm,unless you think the Late Roman cavalry are better than their successors after many centuries(And the Byzantines do have stirrupts at that time)
Well, why should they be worse? Were, let´s say, Byzantine footmen better than hoplites of the Peloponesian wars? Be "better" or "worse" depends on many things, and I don´t think the technological advance between 5th and 11th century was so important a factor that could bring a deterministic victory to the Byzantines.
Dux Limitis wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:55 pmThe last thing is,he armoured not much better than the knights from the 12th-13th century,and only a bit better than mid-late 11th century ones(Except of the horse armour,but that will only make him more unmanoeuvrable in close combat).
Great images! But I was not saying that knights were worse (in this game, as I´ve posted somewhere, they are better than other cavalry in impact and melee, and I have somo discrepancies with the latter thing), I was just saying that I wouldn´t like to face a cataphract even with stirrups! Also, you said that even sergeants should win.
(Sorry for that,but I don't know how to reply per paragraph like you so I only can reply you like in below)
1.Yes,but just "some times" not always so they finally lost southern Italy to the Normans.
2.We're not talking about the footmen because the High Medieval era footmen may not better than some Ancient drilled ones.But about the knights,it's a completely different story.
3.because the sergeants' equipments are not that better like knights(more lighter) but they do use the same weapon and tactics as the knights also they have stirrups too so they still have bigger chance to beat down Roman era cataphracts(Although not bigger than knights).

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”