Forged in Battle Team Challenge 2nd & 3rd October 2021

A forum to post news about tournaments around the world. Please post any such messages here!

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Ghaznavid, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Forged in Battle Team Challenge 2nd & 3rd October 2021

Post by petedalby »

This is more by way of a belated announcement.

The re-scheduled Team Challenge will be running on the first weekend of October. We have 8 teams of 3 players using the same format as that intended for the 2020 event that was cancelled due to Covid restrictions.

Teams entered are:

Gloucester
MAWS
Oxbridge
Oxford
Plymouth
Reigate
Solent
Wessex

Players are reminded that army lists are due in today to Phil Powell at fogamlists@bhgs.org.uk please.

The 1st round draw was made last night and I will post the draw once Phil is in a position to announce the R&R.

We have increased the number of sponsors to now include generous support from Forged in Battle, Precision Wargames Supplies, Slitherine, Hexwar, The Plastic Soldier Company & Wargames Whimsies. I think this probably makes our weekend the best value wargames competition on the calendar?

If you missed out this year please save the date for the first weekend of October in 2022. It would be great if we could get to 10 teams next year.
Pete
petedalby

Re: Forged in Battle Team Challenge 2nd & 3rd October 2021

Post by petedalby »

Thanks to everyone for getting their lists in to Phil - and thanks very much to Phil for checking the lists and publishing the R & R.

The 1st round draw was made by Martyn Simpson and is as follows:

Oxbridge vs Reigate
Wessex vs Oxford
Gloucester vs Plymouth
MAWS vs Solent

All games are 3 hours and the timetable is as follows:

Saturday: 9.15 to 12.15; 13.00 to 16.00; 16.30 to 19.30
Sunday: 9.15 to 12.15; 13.00 to 16.00

Please aim to be at the venue by 9.00 am. Everyone has been there before but any problems on the day you can reach me on 07770 333303. We will be in the main hall so please use the front entrance.

I will bring tea/coffee/biscuits etc. If you could bring your own mug that would be a bonus. £1 per day should cover it.

See you there.

All the best

Pete
Pete
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Thanks very much to everyone who braved the fuel crisis to come down to the South Coast last weekend. We had 100% attendance which was fantastic. Special thanks to my team mates, Dave & Ian, for helping to set up the venue on Friday night. And we really appreciated the help in packing away at the end – a fabulous team effort - thank you.

Congratulations to Reigate on a well deserved win! And congratulations also to the individual top scorers in the 3 themes – Terry Shaw, David Bannister & Dave Fairbrother.

Dave Ruddock has kindly posted all of the results for me on the Slitherine Forum. You can find them here: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=107165&sid=e213f15 ... 7831dcc5be

Any errors are on me but some of the scoresheets were quite challenging to decipher!!

The Team Challenge will run again next year. I need to move the date because of the London Grand Tournament but I will try and get this on the calendar as soon as I can. This will be determined to a large extent by the availability of the venue.

The 3 pools for next year will be similar again. I think we get a great variety of armies. There will be 2 changes only. Sticks n Stones armies will be allowed to field up to 1 armoured BG. Still no lances or pikes though. And Heavy Metal will be played on a 6’ x 4’ table.

I will post again as soon as I have a confirmed date.
Pete
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Can the sticks and stones get elephants next year?
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

No plans to Phil.
Pete
Caliph
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Caliph »

Sticks 'n' stones getting an armoured unit?

Isn't that going to open it up to all sorts of skilled swordsmen?

Isn't that defeating the object?
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

1 Armoured BG shouldn't unbalance the entire theme. Yes - it could be 8 arm'd SSW but that's 120AP. And what does the rest of the list look like?

Time for a little change after 4 years. Come on - those redskins can cope can't they?
Pete
viking123
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by viking123 »

I would suggest only using armies from the new army list book and not from the older list books.
As for Native Americans they would be small armies and should be unarmoured not protected.

Bob
Caliph

Post by Caliph »

1 armoured BG would potentially unbalance the theme.
The rest of the army list would look like another 24 skilled sword. On the other hand, there could be 72 pikes instead.
There were "little changes" this year.
Against skilled sword, no, the redskins cannot cope. I suspect that virtually all of the sticks 'n' stones infantry there this year would not be able to cope either.
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

The rest of the army list would look like another 24 skilled sword.
Which list are you thinking of Brian?
Pete
Caliph

Post by Caliph »

Principate Roman
Later Macedonian
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Thanks Brian - but neither of those would be valid armies. There are still no Pikes allowed.

And Principate Roman SSW can only be Protected from 218 AD. By which time they have to have 6 Armoured Cav. But I take your point - Protected SSW might skew the period. So let's add SSW to the list of banned weapons.

Better?
Pete

Return to “Tournaments”