Wheeling and then moving straight

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

paullongmore
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Wheeling and then moving straight

Post by paullongmore »

The subject of this post is whether when Wheeling and then moving straight the correct way to measure is
A) Measure the wheel and then measure off the remaining movement or
B) measure from the starting position to the end point in a straight line

i have noticed that for a crucial measure such as whether a charge including a wheel is in range, in my experience, everyone measures the distance wheeled and then whether the remaining straight line distance is enough to allow contact. Option A.
However, when wheeling units during normal movement many players measure using option B. Additionally, as the wheel is not measured out the position of what would be the none moving corner is completely free floating.

Page 40 of the rules says "Wheeling is a change of direction by rotating around one front corner of the battle group or battle line. one corner of the front edge remains in the same position. For ease of measuring, the distance moved during the wheel is taken as a straight linefrom the starting position to the ending position of the moving front corner.". It also says "When wheeling, be careful not to slide the corner on which the battle group is pivoting as this is not permitted in the rules."

Me and Dave Ruddock both point at the same section as proving our point. I believe that the statement "during the wheel" is key and therefore option A is correct.
Dave says the key part is 'ending position' as it doesn't say end of the wheel. Therefore, supporting option B.

Can some other umpires or indeed authors please elucidate.

Thanks
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Wheeling and then moving straight

Post by grahambriggs »

It's A.

The table on page 38 tells you that an advance can be "A forward move of less than full distance and/or with a single wheel...". So an advance could be just a single wheel, in which case one corner is stationary and you measure the direct line distance for the other corner. Or the advance can be a combination of a wheel and straight forwards movement. The section on wheeling on p40 makes it clear that the straight line measurement is only during the wheel. So measure the wheel, then measure any straight forwards movement.

Return to “Rules Questions”