Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

DasTactic
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

A Deep Look at the War Wagons and Pikemen of RISE OF THE SWISS

Post by DasTactic »

Hi all,

I've just published a video showing the awesome new units and game mechanics coming with the Rise Of The Swiss DLC.

https://youtu.be/9pmZrkE7JCY

When I was preparing for making the video I was blown away with the changes this DLC brings. I didn't think it could get any better than Storm of Arrows but this DLC is the best I've seen for FoG2 Medieval.

Hopefully, this video will give you some insights into what is coming. I can't wait to make a series on the German Landknechts and their War Wagons.
pinwolf
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: A Deep Look at the War Wagons and Pikemen of RISE OF THE SWISS

Post by pinwolf »

Thank you for that. Nice explanations about the new units.

Just to have something to bleat about: :)
The only confusing thing for me is your accentuation of 'Keil', which you pronounce like 'Kiel'.
a 'Keil' is a wedge (a triangular shaped tool used to separate, lift up or hold in place an object)
a 'Kiel' is a keel (the bottom-most longitudinal structural element on a vessel)

here you can listen how to say 'keil':
-> https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/Keil
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pinwolf wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:01 pm Thank you for that. Nice explanations about the new units.

Just to have something to bleat about: :)
The only confusing thing for me is your accentuation of 'Keil', which you pronounce like 'Kiel'.
a 'Keil' is a wedge (a triangular shaped tool used to separate, lift up or hold in place an object)
a 'Kiel' is a keel (the bottom-most longitudinal structural element on a vessel)

Well I learned something new, never having heard the word spoken correctly before.
Richard Bodley Scott

DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

pinwolf wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:01 pm Just to have something to bleat about: :)

Lol. Thanks for this. I'll bookmark this site - it looks really useful. I tend to butcher most European names and so before recording, I went through a list of words trying to get the pronunciations correct - even thought I would use the word Tercio so looked that one up. I didn't look Keil up though and I think I butchered 'Landsknecht' a few times. Having a site that actually speaks the word is great. :)
pinwolf
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pinwolf »

DasTactic wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:28 pm ...I think I butchered 'Landsknecht' a few times. Having a site that actually speaks the word is great. :)
-> https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/Landsknecht
:)
tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

The advantage for attacking a keil from the rear, you say it applies if the attack is from the three rear squares.
This is not correct, it only applies if the attack is from the one square directly to the rear.
This is not a minor point, it has a significant impact on the power of the keils because it means that if the units remain in contact it is not possible to get a second auto-drop by attacking them again.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

tyronec wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:56 am The advantage for attacking a keil from the rear, you say it applies if the attack is from the three rear squares.
This is not correct, it only applies if the attack is from the one square directly to the rear.
This is not a minor point, it has a significant impact on the power of the keils because it means that if the units remain in contact it is not possible to get a second auto-drop by attacking them again.
I have brief mechanics explanations videos that I recorded a little while back primed to go on release day that go over the rear attacks, POAs, etc. Das has permission to show beta videos before release, I don't.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

tyronec wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:56 am The advantage for attacking a keil from the rear, you say it applies if the attack is from the three rear squares.
Good point. I realised afterwards that I had said the wrong thing and that the other two tiles are flanking attacks but had forgotten to add a note to the video.
Cherebuschka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Cherebuschka »

War Wagons are such a complex unit, I discover something new everytime I try them ! :D
So to my understanding they behave kind of like chariots, they can't enter on marsh, probably not on difficult slopes too (didn't have the case yet). They also can't go on a tile were FF are deployed which is nice to know since Hussite have FF on their infantry and bombard.

But biggest surprise so far was that they become stable once deployed on rough ground ! I then hoped they became moderatly disordoned on forest or on the river but it didn't work of course.

Many thanks to the videos of DasTactic, SnuggleBunnies and Richard Yorke, they really helped. And of course thanks to the dev for the manual (and game too) !

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”