Achaemenid Persian cavalry shields

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Achaemenid Persian cavalry shields

Post by Polkovnik »

Did they use them ? I've seen pictures with and without. Does it depend on the date ? I'd like my cavalry to serve as early and late if possible.
If they use them, what shape ? If just bought some on ebay, most of which have round shields. Do any manufacturers make approproiate shields which can be bought separately (in 15mm) ?
will05
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by will05 »

xyston make a lot of shield packs
JayRaider
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by JayRaider »

I don't think Persian Cavalry use shields.
At least , i've never seen any pics of Persian cavalry with shields (either early or later period).
Mithridates
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Mithridates »

The Monvert publication on the Achaemenid Persian Army by Duncan Head argues against shields for both early and late cavalry - though there are comments for later Babylonian colonist cavalry with shields. It is suggested that these are for use dismounted (saying guarding the camp at night). WRG books also come down against shielded cavalry.

Would be interested in any pictorial evidence for shielded cavalry.
Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Skullzgrinda »

Mithridates wrote:Would be interested in any pictorial evidence for shielded cavalry.
It would. It is surprising the Achaemenid cavalry apparently made no use of shield, as the closely related Skythians and Saka certainly did. Fairly extensive use in fact. Nevertheless, I have enver seen any depictions of shielded Persian cavalry in this period.
Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Skullzgrinda »

Here is an essay on the subject of Achaemenid cavalry by Alexander K. Nefedkin of St. Petersburg State University:
http://gladius.revistas.csic.es/index.p ... ewFile/1/1

Within the broader topic, the author specifically considers the question as to whether Persian cavalry were equipped with shields. There is one relief which might indicate shileds, but which the author believes is a stylized depiction of clothing.

There is also a mention that Darius III had his cavalry re-equipped with heavier lances and with shields at Gaugamela - too little and too late a response to the Macedonian war machine, but oh well. This bit is interesting because the fact that mention is made that the cavalry are equipped with shields in response to Macedonian dominance, indicates that they traditionally were not so equipped.

Nefedkin also includes a generous number of period art images. None show shields in use. He is inclined to dismiss the use of shields.
danadams01
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re:

Post by danadams01 »

Mithridates wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:28 pm The Monvert publication on the Achaemenid Persian Army by Duncan Head argues against shields for both early and late cavalry - though there are comments for later Babylonian colonist cavalry with shields. It is suggested that these are for use dismounted (saying guarding the camp at night). WRG books also come down against shielded cavalry.

Would be interested in any pictorial evidence for shielded cavalry.
xyston make a lot of shield packs

Return to “Modelling”