The Order of Battle Spring 2022 Invitational Tournament

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

rth
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: The Order of Battle Spring 2022 Invitational Tournament

Post by rth »

Hi
what would bring more points: ? capture an enemy headquarters in turn 10 or in turn 17 ?

Does the game end then, or only when I conquer the second HQ?

I don't know, is the question unfair in the current tournament? then no answer please

It's also far from certain that I'll even make it, we're currently in round 6

Thanks
amenhotep13
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by amenhotep13 »

rth wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:13 am Hi
what would bring more points: ? capture an enemy headquarters in turn 10 or in turn 17 ?

Does the game end then, or only when I conquer the second HQ?

I don't know, is the question unfair in the current tournament? then no answer please

It's also far from certain that I'll even make it, we're currently in round 6

Thanks
Hi,
The game ends when ALL the ennemy's major location are captured.

I'm sure of that because in the last map (crescent bay) i took ONE ennemy's major point and the game didn't end. I didn't ever knew where the second was... 😁
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

279 points rth!!
SagsGames77
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SagsGames77 »

Shards wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:28 pm 279 points rth!!
Interesting what this says about the scoring system. Nothing against rth but he gets a huge number of points for beating a player who clearly collapsed in the last game, but a tough win against a skilled player will net you 100 or so points less.

The Admiral is clearly and deservedly going to win the tournament, but by my reckoning there will be about 3 other players who won all 3 of their games but have very little chance of beating rth's total for the tournament, and rth has only won 1 game.

However, most important is that this invitational tournament has thrown up some great challenges against high-quality opponents - so many thanks to the organisers.
rth

Post by rth »

amazing that there is so much difference in the points achieved between the two cards (173 and 106)
both cards ended almost the same
Map 1(173) I captured the first HQ in turn 10, the second HQ in turn 13, killed all land units and destroyed the airfield,
Map 2 (106) conquered both HQs simultaneously in round 14, destroyed all land units, there was not enough capacity for the destruction of the airfield in the round
As for my opponents, I always attacked with everything I had in matches 1-2.
Competition 1: Opponent had better unit selection
Match 2: I think a round or two longer and I would have won the game on both maps, I think I had more victory points, made it to both main islands of the opponent and pushed him back, but my losses were bigger, but I had more Reserves like opponents because I chose cheaper units
Competition 3: Opponent was a bit slower in advancing his units
and like me in Competition 1, he had worse unit selection

It doesn't matter whether I'm third or 31. The invitation tournament was great fun and always had active and fair opponents
I hope there will be more private tournaments... Thank you
stevefprice
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by stevefprice »

rth wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:34 am The invitation tournament was great fun and always had active and fair opponents
Fair - yes, and congenial.

Active - I beg to differ :)

The other interesting thing to note is time zones. My 3rd round opponent is across the world from me so we only get a turn each in a 24hr period. Can't be helped, just the way it is. But with 18 turns to play in 10 days it's never going to complete.
Pekkavilamoura
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Pekkavilamoura »

rth wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:34 am The invitation tournament was great fun and always had active and fair opponents
Absolutely agree with you. I was lucky to have you and two more great opponents who all played with a extremely good pace. Was really great fun.
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AdmiralYamamoto »

stevefprice wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:51 am I lost to him in round 1. I lost badly. Key thing is he trains. That may sound odd but if you want to be good at something, train. Top sportspeople Train.

As Gary Player said "The harder I practise, the luckier I get."

Training is not just playing the battles but assess the terrain, the units, how far they move and when stuff happens, resources etc...

If you know light tanks can get there first and hold whilst you slower heavy stuff arrives you can grab stuff faster. To do that you need to train, ie hotseat the scenario. To the end. So you know what happens to both sides.

For example, in Crescent Bay US Marines can get Buffalos so can traverse the northern river without waiting for a bridge.Possibly a flaw in the scenario but it is there for both sides.

Whether such training is for everyone (we all have busy lives) but there is a reason AdmiralYamato is consistently at the top.

Oh, and watch out for the para drops ;-)
Steve is correct. If you want to be the best you have to practice. I have not been playing this game very long so I have had to setup Hotseat matches to see how things work. Generally this only helps you with the opening moves but that can be critical to your overall success.

I did not know about the "Buffalos" LVT transports for the US in Crescent Bay. Thanks for the info Steve. Hopefully you have noticed that the Japanese have a "swimmer" tank, Type 2 Ka-Mi, that ignores rivers. This allows the Japs to race across that river in Crescent Bay and capture the objective on turn 1. Check it out sometime.
Admiral Yamamoto
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

amenhotep13 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:53 pm Hi all,

When this private tournament will be completed may i suggest something ?

Since The Admiral is scaring everybody and is the "man to kill" 😁 we could make another private and special tournament : "The Admiral against the rest of the world"

Like a chessmaster, he could challenge some or all of us in a pair of games simultaneously.

Of course if he wants it and have the time to do it 😀 ... and if this is technically possible

Just an idea...😉
Now that the tournament is over I do have plenty of room in my gaming schedule. I would be happy to meet you on the field of battle. Feel free to send me a private message and we can discuss a scenario. I have downloaded most of Erik's multiplayer scenarios.
Admiral Yamamoto
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

rth wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:13 am Hallo

I think the entire invitation tournament is very good and exciting.

Here I know that I always get very good to good opponents.

Maybe 5 rounds would have been better for everyone.

I hope that there will be a new edition of this invitation tournament.

Since the Admiral is "the measure of all things" here, he might get a -10% handicap on his resource points in every preparation phase ................. sorry was just kidding and would be very unfair.

Many thanks to the tournament director and keep up the good work.

greeting
Ralf
I agree with Ralf. This invitational tournament was a lot of fun. I have been lucky in always getting opponents who complete the round. A player can get screwed out of points if his opponent does not finish the game.

The scoring system can allow the final results to be skewed a bit if one pairing is not very equal. One big win can overcome three narrow victories. It is still a pretty good system though.

Ralf's suggestion of a 5th round would help minimize the one big victory and might be something to consider in the future.

We could also try some type of single or double elimination tournament. This would certainly need to have a limited amount of participants and would still require quite a few scenarios to carry out. It could be a lot of fun though.

Thanks Shards for all the work you put into this tournament. Keep up the good work.
Admiral Yamamoto
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Round 1 Replay Admiral Yamamoto vs Steve Price.

I especially recommend watching file 2. There was a very interesting Paratroop drop that I am quite proud of. (Sorry about that Steve).
Attachments
Karjalan Kesa AY vs StevePrice 2.zip
(13.73 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Karelia Kesa AY vs StevePrice 1.zip
(12.99 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Admiral Yamamoto
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Round 2 Replays Admiral Yamamoto vs Pekkavilamoura
Attachments
Crescent Bay AY vs Pekka 2.zip
(13.5 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Crescent Bay AY vs Pekka 1.zip
(13.55 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Admiral Yamamoto
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Round 3 Replays Admiral Yamamoto vs Blondus
Attachments
Muddy Beaches AY vs Blondus 2.zip
(11.11 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Muddy Beaches AY vs Blondus 1.zip
(10.93 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Admiral Yamamoto
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

One thing that surprised me was that a game with VPs 58 vs 63 ends in a defeat for one player. Only 1 point differed throughout the game, increased on the last turn.
Shouldn't this have been a draw?
Jon876
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Jon876 »

this is true :wink: . I agree with the statement TriceLoans above that the game ends when all the main enemy locations have been captured.
Netballman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Netballman »

Pekkavilamoura wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:35 am
Absolutely agree with you. I was lucky to have you and two more great opponents who all played with a extremely good pace. Was really great fun.
Just to echo the same. Really friendly but challenging games, there have been some time issues (still bitter about being rather unjustly timed out in round 1 and thus being denied a top 3 finish, me? Nah... :roll: ) but nevertheless, great fun :D Thanks to Shards and all participants (and to the Admiral for his replay posts). I'd love to see another one.
LynxCom

Post by LynxCom »

Good tournamnet, congrats to winners.
Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Celeborn »

A great tournament with many thanks to Shards for organizing. I take a measure of consolation in that I think I was the only other player to go undefeated and that all three of my (esteemed) opponents finished in the upper half. But I must also note that for most of the last round I was under the mistaken assumption that the middle bridge wasn't worth anything (not that I was even close to moving up to 10th)

The scoring system isn't perfect but is as good as any alternatives. I esp like that the total randomness of the first round is somewhat balanced by the seeding in the second and third. (which makes AY's finish all the more impressive)
Celeborn

Post by Celeborn »

Para drop was brilliant and it may well have caught me off-guard as well. After being victimized by them in Crescent Bay this tournament has taught me a lot about how to think about Paras...
AdmiralYamamoto wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:31 pm Round 1 Replay Admiral Yamamoto vs Steve Price.

I especially recommend watching file 2. There was a very interesting Paratroop drop that I am quite proud of. (Sorry about that Steve).
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Very good tournament. I look forward to the next one, I'm a glutton for punishment :D

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”