Field of Glory II: Medieval - Rise of the Swiss is coming soon

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Mantuvec
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory II: Medieval - Rise of the Swiss is coming soon

Post by Mantuvec »

Rise of the Swiss, the fourth DLC for Field of Glory II: Medieval, will be available on May 19th, 2022.

From the late 1300s some Swiss started to carry the long pike, at first as a minority weapon, but by the end of the fifteenth century it had become a dominant weapon. 
The Swiss system proved an astounding success on the battlefield: victorious in the Burgundian Wars, defeating the Holy Roman Empire in the Swabian War, and as mercenaries they were a key component of French King Charles VIII's armies in Italy. 
Soon pike formations were adopted in many western European countries, notably in Germany by the famous 'landsknechts'. 

This new DLC will include:

- Additional coverage for the following nations and factions from the introduction of Swiss-style pike tactics or Hussite war wagons by themselves or their opponents until 1500 AD: Aragonese, Berber (Wattasid),  Bohemian (Catholic), Burgundian, Castilian, Danish, English (Lancastrian, Yorkist and Tudor), Florentine, French, German (Imperial, Feudal and City armies), Granadine, Hungarian, Hussite (Taborite and Utraquist), Low Countries, Milanese, Neapolitan, Papal, Polish, Rus, Scots, Swiss, Venetian. Each of these has their own historically-based banner. (Several European nations are already covered up to 1500 AD by previous DLC). 
- 22 new units. 
- 60 more army lists.
- 8 more historical scenarios covering key engagements of the period on an epic scale: Kutna Hora 1421, Towton 1461, Brunkeberg 1471, Grandson 1476, Loja 1482, Bosworth 1485, Fornovo 1495, Dornach 1499.  
- 41 more historical matchups added to Quick Battle mode, increasing the total to 239, most playable from either side. 
- 4 more historically-based campaigns covering major leaders and conflicts of the era: Rise of the Swiss, Hussite Wars, Charles the Bold, Louis XI. 
- Sandbox campaign expanded to include all the new army lists. 
- Time Warp modules expanded to include the new army lists. 
Adraeth
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Field of Glory II: Medieval - Rise of the Swiss is coming soon

Post by Adraeth »

Excellent!
Hope in the future this magnificent engine might be used for "from the age of reason to 1800" :D
Ray552
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Ray552 »

Looking forward to this!

Hopefully we won't see too many forum posts complaining, "Swiss pikemen OP, plz nerf." :D
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Added screenshots of Hussite War Wagons to product page.
Richard Bodley Scott

VideogameghisKhan
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by VideogameghisKhan »

Looks good! And also, does this show two different types of war wagons?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

VideogameghisKhan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:41 pm Looks good! And also, does this show two different types of war wagons?

Actually three:

1) War Wagons (Average)
2) Veteran War Wagons (Superior)
3) Artillery Wagons (Shoot like light guns)
Richard Bodley Scott

Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

Very interesting.
As the description mentionss "Soon pike formations were adopted in many western European countries, notably in Germany by the famous 'landsknechts'", may I ask that if the DLC would include Maximilian I's Landsknecht amry?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Ivenend wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:58 pm Very interesting.
As the description mentionss "Soon pike formations were adopted in many western European countries, notably in Germany by the famous 'landsknechts'", may I ask that if the DLC would include Maximilian I's Landsknecht amry?
There are Maxmilian's Burgundian army with Landsknechts and lowlander pikemen. There is his father's Imperial army, also including Landsknechts.
Richard Bodley Scott

DasTactic
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by DasTactic »

Hi Richard :)
I see that some of the Swiss Keil units are called 'Determined Foot' rather than 'Heavy Foot'. I assume this has something to do with the fact the Swiss pikemen were able to attack from rough terrain? And we also now have a range of different types of wagons in the game. Is there a reference on how these work with regard to terrain features and combat?
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

DasTactic wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:12 pm Hi Richard :)
I see that some of the Swiss Keil units are called 'Determined Foot' rather than 'Heavy Foot'. I assume this has something to do with the fact the Swiss pikemen were able to attack from rough terrain? And we also now have a range of different types of wagons in the game. Is there a reference on how these work with regard to terrain features and combat?
Determined Foot move 3 tiles, for disorder purposes are classed as heavy foot. In addition, they can pushback, even the varieties not armed with pikes (such as Swiss Halberdiers).
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

DasTactic wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:12 pm we now have a range of different types of wagons in the game. Is there a reference on how these work with regard to terrain features and combat?
The manual has been fully updated and is in the /Manuals folder in the Rise of the Swiss build - if you have a preview version. It can also be viewed from the launcher.

Undeployed war wagons are Disordered by Rough Terrain, Deployed War Wagons are not.
Both Undeployed and Deployed War Wagons are Severely Disordered by difficult terrain.

Disembarked war wagon crew are Medium Foot and are affected by terrain accordingly.

Here are some more War Wagon rules:

o War Wagons are roughly treated as Infantry units with built-in field fortifications. They only get the full effect of these when Deployed.
o Undeployed War Wagons
  •  Undeployed War Wagons are pulled by horses and can move and even charge enemy troops.
     They get +25 POA in close combat for the protection offered by the wagons. They get 10% cover vs shooting other than by heavy artillery.
o Deployed War Wagons
  •  Deployed War Wagons cannot move, turn or charge. Their horses have been taken to the rear.
     They get +100 POA in close combat for the protection offered by the wagons, and 34% cover against shooting other than by heavy artillery – these are equivalent values to the effect of normal field fortifications.
o Undeployed War Wagons can be deployed at any stage in the game after force selection is complete. If a mistake is made, deployment can be undone immediately, but after that they cannot be undeployed, except during the Deployment phase.
o Disembarking War Wagons: The crew of a non-artillery War Wagon can disembark as an infantry unit at any stage in the game after force selection is complete. If a mistake is made, disembarkation can be undone immediately, but after that they cannot be re-embarked, except during the Deployment phase. Except during the deployment phase, the empty War Wagons remain on the map as static Field Fortifications, but cannot be reembarked.
o Arc of Fire: Non-artillery War Wagons can shoot all round, but shoot most effectively to the sides. When shooting close to directly forwards or backwards they shoot at “Half arc” – i.e. half effect. Artillery Wagons can only shoot to the sides.
o There is no “Turn and Shoot” order for War Wagons, the degree of turn (for Undeployed War Wagons) must be selected manually.
o War Wagons are immune to flank/rear attacks.
o War Wagons do not turn to face enemy in close combat.
o War Wagons do not break off, get pushed back or pursue.
o Combats against War Wagons, whether Deployed or Undeployed, do not count as “in Open Terrain”.
o Undeployed War Wagons exert a ZOC to their front, but Deployed War Wagons don’t exert any ZOC.
o When War Wagons rout, the crew disembark and flee, leaving the empty WWg behind. The crew of broken Artillery War Wagons disperse.
o Although Artillery Wagons only have 34% Light Artillery capability, the unit size is larger than normal Light Guns units, so they shoot at roughly the same effectiveness as a Light Guns unit.
o War Wagons and Field Fortifications
  •  A line partly of field fortifications and partly of Deployed or empty War Wagons will have the same effect as a solid line of field fortifications.
     Normally, a unit behind field fortifications at the end of a line of field fortifications is vulnerable to attack by an enemy unit diagonally to its front (beyond the FF) without counting as being behind FF, unless there is also a FF section protecting the unit’s flank. However, friendly Deployed War Wagons in the square adjacent to the end of the FF line will also have the same protective effect.
Richard Bodley Scott

DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

That's awesome. :) The wagons are amazing. I've been fiddling around with them a bit today and brushing up on their history. These are going to add a lot of nuance and fun to the game.

I think players are also going to love the tankiness of the landsknecht units as well with their ability to trundle on through ZOC and immunity to flank attacks.

I thought it was pretty awesome that some longbowmen had their own spikes but this DLC goes to whole other level. Very cool.

I guess this takes us right up to the era of Pike and Shot now.
Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

I notice that in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDgisEhJQhM), Pikemen units are with 80% pike and 20% Heavy Weapon, but the on map model only show pikes.

Is it possible to make the first line of unit models have Halberd rather than pike? I think that is possible with the game enigine as some units has both Halberdier and Crossbowman models at the same time.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Ivenend wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:42 am I notice that in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDgisEhJQhM), Pikemen units are with 80% pike and 20% Heavy Weapon, but the on map model only show pikes.

Is it possible to make the first line of unit models have Halberd rather than pike? I think that is possible with the game enigine as some units has both Halberdier and Crossbowman models at the same time.
It would be possible, but the halberdiers weren't at the front of a Swiss pike formation. It would require extensive new scripting to make them appear at the rear or in the middle, and we deemed that not to be worthwhile. It is perhaps something we could revisit in a future update.

If it is any consolation, the early 25% pike, 75% halberd units have a front rank with pike and rear ranks with halberd.
Richard Bodley Scott

Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:56 pm
Ivenend wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:42 am I notice that in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDgisEhJQhM), Pikemen units are with 80% pike and 20% Heavy Weapon, but the on map model only show pikes.

It would be possible, but the halberdiers weren't at the front of a Swiss pike formation. It would require extensive new scripting to make them appear at the rear or in the middle, and we deemed that not to be worthwhile. It is perhaps something we could revisit in a future update.

If it is any consolation, the early 25% pike, 75% halberd units have a front rank with pike and rear ranks with halberd.
Thanks for your reply! Hope that can be revisit in one day. I do think that adds lot of immerison to late 15c pike squares.
Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:56 pm but the halberdiers weren't at the front of a Swiss pike formation.
Also thank you for telling me this. From what I have read, the German landsknecht formation put two-handed swordsman at its front and rear, so I have thought the Swiss halberdier also serve in the same position. But yes, according to this article (https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... ahs_review), in a Swiss formation halberdiers are put in the center of the formation, and rush past the pikemen after combat starts.Time to redesign my P&S unit model mod, haha.
grahamed
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by grahamed »

Mantuvec the medieval week link on the main site news seems to link through to the storm of arrows release in feb rather than rise of the swiss
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

grahamed wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:03 am Mantuvec the medieval week link on the main site news seems to link through to the storm of arrows release in feb rather than rise of the swiss
Thanks, I will pass that on.
Richard Bodley Scott

grahamed

Post by grahamed »

Fixed, promptly as always 😀

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”