Questions on Map Terrain

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Questions on Map Terrain

Post by kronenblatt »

Is there an algorithm in the code on how the maps are created with different terrains, tile by tile, given a certain type? E.g., the likelihood of getting a rough terrain tile?

Is there any practical difference between Mediterranean, Northern European, and Middle-Eastern, other than cosmetics? I.e., can Mediterranean Agricultural, Northern European Agricultural, and Middle-Eastern Agricultural be expected to be all the same? If not, how do they differ (again, other than cosmetically)?
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
Rosedelio
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Questions on Map Terrain

Post by Rosedelio »

I've noticed the Middle-Eastern maps are the only ones to spawn enclosures. Not sure about other differences between climates.
Touhou mod for FOGII: Medieval: https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111582
My FOGII and FOGII Medieval focused channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Rosedelio
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:58 pm Is there an algorithm in the code on how the maps are created with different terrains, tile by tile, given a certain type? E.g., the likelihood of getting a rough terrain tile?
Of course, but you would have to read and understand the code. The map generation code is in /Data/Battle/Scripts/MapGenerateBattle.bsf
Is there any practical difference between Mediterranean, Northern European, and Middle-Eastern, other than cosmetics? I.e., can Mediterranean Agricultural, Northern European Agricultural, and Middle-Eastern Agricultural be expected to be all the same? If not, how do they differ (again, other than cosmetically)?
Main differences are
1) North European and Tropical maps have more woods, Southern Europe somewhat less, Middle Eastern even less.
2) Middle Eastern maps have enclosed (irrigated) fields.
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Thanks!

And the presence of marsh terrains differ between NE, M, and ME too, I guess?

But rough terrains and height differences more or less the same between NE, M, and ME?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:28 am And the presence of marsh terrains differ between NE, M, and ME too, I guess?
Not currently. Plenty of marshes in all geographical regions other than Desert.
But rough terrains and height differences more or less the same between NE, M, and ME?
Yes
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:04 am
kronenblatt wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:58 pm Is there an algorithm in the code on how the maps are created with different terrains, tile by tile, given a certain type? E.g., the likelihood of getting a rough terrain tile?
Of course, but you would have to read and understand the code. The map generation code is in /Data/Battle/Scripts/MapGenerateBattle.bsf
I'm interested in Desert map type at the moment. Been through the file above and from what I found, desert allows coast but not river. And no forests of course, it seems (due to open == 100).

But what about proportions of rough terrain and height differences? Which other map type(s) does Desert mostly resemble in those two respects?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:13 am
rbodleyscott wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:04 am
I'm interested in Desert map type at the moment. Been through the file above and from what I found, desert allows coast but not river. And no forests of course, it seems (due to open == 100).

But what about proportions of rough terrain and height differences? Which other map type(s) does Desert mostly resemble in those two respects?
Not entirely sure. It is all in the code.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”