18th Century mod right here Frederick the Great Age of Reaso

Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Re: 18th Century mod right here Frederick the Great Age of Reaso

Post by Athos1660 »

@Cronos : No news or update for your followers ? :-)
vispainiusii
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by vispainiusii »

Is there a current version for this?
Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Cronos09 »

vispainiusii wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:07 am Is there a current version for this?
What do you mean? I converted P&S SOOR scenario by Edward77 for FoG2 and that's all. I can update the scenario scripts for 1.40 ver, but I think who wanted to play it did this earlier.
To develop the mod further, one needs to move from high-poly models to low-poly ones in order to have good FPS in the mod. To do this, one needs to further study 3ds max. I аm not ready for this. It already took me about half a year to master 3ds max from zero to a level that allowed me to create SOOR scenario with all animated models.
vispainiusii

Post by vispainiusii »

Cronos09 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:10 am
vispainiusii wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:07 am Is there a current version for this?
What do you mean? I converted P&S SOOR scenario by Edward77 for FoG2 and that's all. I can update the scenario scripts for 1.40 ver, but I think who wanted to play it did this earlier.
To develop the mod further, one needs to move from high-poly models to low-poly ones in order to have good FPS in the mod. To do this, one needs to further study 3ds max. I аm not ready for this. It already took me about half a year to master 3ds max from zero to a level that allowed me to create SOOR scenario with all animated models.
Gotcha. That answers my question.

Thanks for answering.
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

New buildings and cannon balls from FoG2 Medieval:

Cannonballs fly over the battlefield

Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Canister shot with 'Naphtha' visual effect (to distinguish artillery shots)

Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

The next version of the mod will be released on the FoG2 Medieval engine and will cover a few historical battles from the wars of Frederick II.

SmickeyMcgee
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by SmickeyMcgee »

So glad the Frederick Great mod isn't dead, can't wait to see more!
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

SmickeyMcgee wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:32 pm So glad the Frederick Great mod isn't dead, can't wait to see more!
Thanks for your reminding, Smickey! I also hope that the mod is not dead, but my hopes are fading every week :(
I was going to make a module with 3 battles from Frederick the Great's age. At the moment, 2 battles are ready - for this I converted Edward's P&S scenarios with changes. The third battle has to be done from scratch and while I can't come up with a scenario concept - there are some limitations. Though I have a detailed description of the battle and a few maps/schemes.
In any case, I will post the mod for general use sooner or later :)
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

On the anniversary of the release of the first version of my mod - my own scenario of one of Frederick the Great's battles is in development.
Can anyone guess what this battle is called?

SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Hohenfriedberg is it not?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:14 am Hohenfriedberg is it not?
Yes, it is Hohenfriedberg 1745. Jack, you had an ace up your sleeve :)
Thus, the three major battles of the Second Silesian War, in which the Prussian army participated, will be presented in the next version of my mod:
Hohenfriedberg 1745
Soor 1745
Kesselsdorf 1745
vispainiusii

Post by vispainiusii »

If it helps, from what I noticed, you could also take a cue from some other mods- like Silk Road for example. Assuming one of the issues is creating entire new graphics, units, and then their individual unit in a lengthy, accurate army list.

Get the basic unit down (graphics, it in a army list, a generalist name* etc) and then name it in the editor. That way, instead of having 30 different individual units in a army list with 1 unit each you would have a more conventional army list. This would vastly help you creating scenarios as you wouldn't need to create entire new units for an army list just for the scenario + it would assist with easy conversion of the mod into multiplayer custom battles.

When creating the epic battles in the editor this would make it (relatively) faster. You would simply find the unit most similar to the unit you are trying to show in the battle and name it appropriately.
---
My Example:
In an Army List called "Prussia 1745", you create multiple 'generalist' units. For example: Veteran Grenadiers, Grenadiers, Line Infantry, Jägers, Dragoons, Cuirassiers etc.

Now in the editor for your scenario, lets say you want to place a unit known as the Anhalt-Dessau Grenadiers and a unit known as the Ant-Anhalt Grenadiers. Let's *assume* for the purposes of example that one is Superior and the other was Elite.

Instead of creating *two* whole new units for a custom army list, you place from your Army List 'Prussia 1745' that best fits what you want represented on the field. In this case this is a standard sized "Grenadier" unit and a "Veteran Grenadier Unit" from the Prussian list (and thus with the Prussian graphics). Then you name them, respective to their quality, the 'Anhalt-Dessau Grenadiers' and the 'Ant-Anhalt Grenadiers'.

At no point, except for creating the Grenadier unit and Veteran Grenadier unit for the Army List 'Prussia 1745', would you need to open a text doc or file. This is because using the in-built editor you could simply name it as desired.

For units of different regiments but same type (for example: Line Infantry) this would be incredibly beneficial as your speed is only dictated by how fast you can find and place units which properly reflect what you want and then use the editor's system to name it appropriately.

Unless you already have done custom graphics for every single unit or intend to (like some creators did in their P&S mods for the Napoleonic War, 7 Years War etc), I don't see any issues with doing it this way. This would likely help speed up the process.

You wouldn't have to go into the files constantly and create an entire new unit every time you wanted to add a new historical regiment which can already be represented by a basic unit such as: 'Line Infantry', 'Grenadiers', 'Veteran Grenadiers', 'Dragoons', 'Veteran Dragoons', 'Artillery' etc etc etc.
---
Fantastic to see more progress!
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Thanks for the advice, Vispainiusii!
I know this method for FoG2M, but I made my module in the old P&S way. The historical battles of the Second Silesian War were ready about a month ago, but I wanted to add the possibility of playing skirmishes to the module. Then the summer ended :( I have less time and willing for modding. Let's hope together that I will find the time and energy to complete this module :wink:
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Chin up ! Moult ecstatic people are waiting for your 18th century Mod and P&S2 (<-- wishlist placement).
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Somebody is waiting for it, and someone has already played in August.
vispainiusii

Post by vispainiusii »

Worst case scenario you could just seek for the official upload/unofficial here and work on your own time with setting up generalist style army lists for skirmishes and custom battles :D

As is, it looks absolutely fantastic! Very impressive work easily up there with the higher end P&S mods and even, in its own right, the other mods adding historical battles in medieval I'd say

Best of luck!
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

vispainiusii wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:31 am Worst case scenario you could just seek for the official upload/unofficial here and work on your own time with setting up generalist style army lists for skirmishes and custom battles :D

As is, it looks absolutely fantastic! Very impressive work easily up there with the higher end P&S mods and even, in its own right, the other mods adding historical battles in medieval I'd say

Best of luck!
Thanks for your support and appreciation! I hope you will enjoy the mod. It is nearly ready - thanks to Paul for his clarifying the issue with unit textures in custom battles. I have not thoroughly tested custom battles and I hope for your feedback after releasing the mod.
Main features of the mod skirmish:
1) two sides of the Second Silesian War - Austro-Saxon and Prussian;
2) Prussian infantry has 12 AP vs 10 AP of Austro-Saxon - the Prussian army under the command of Frederick the Great had the initiative in almost all the battles of the Second Silesian and Seven Years' Wars and tried to impose its will on the enemy, because Prussian infantry made quick maneuvers and reorganizations on the battlefield;
3) all Prussian units are higher quality than Austro-Saxon units, but more expensive (excluding Hussars);
4) Hussars - I do not see them as a classical P&S light unit. The hussar regiments of that time outnumbered the cuirassier and dragoon ones. Already in the Seven Years' War, the Prussian hussars fought as line cavalry. Therefore, I made Hussars as line demi-light cavalry. They have not impact bonuses (Carbine, Swordsmen). But they have 20 APs and can evade enemy charges.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

18th Century mod released on FoG2: Medieval : here.
No FoG2: Ancient version, right ?
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

FOG2 color palette, unlike FOG2M, is not suitable for these units.
Therefore, only FoG2M https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 86#p983186

Return to “Field of Glory II: Modding”