Mayen - Game 4. Early Hungarian v Norse Irish

Forum for anyone to post reports of their battles and pictures, otherwise known as After Action Reports.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Mayen - Game 4. Early Hungarian v Norse Irish

Post by dave_r »

Another game against Norse Irish.

This time the Irish had a large Viking Ally of four units. Plus the usual superior heavy foot and medium foot weapon with the average stuff. There was four battle groups of light foot.

My army was:
IC, 2xTC
3x4 Superior, Armoured, Undrilled, Knights, Lancers Swordsmen
4x4 Superior, Unprotected, Undrilled, Cavalry, Bow Swordsmen
4x4 Average, Unprotected, Undrilled, Light Horse, Bow Swordsmen
3x6 Poor, Unprotected, Undrilled, Light Foot, Bow

Despite having a 4-0 advantage for initiative, I lost, with the Irish taking Woodlands.

The terrain looked like this

Initial Moves. The steep hill near to the Irish back edge was (somewhat surprisingly) going to see a large amount of action

The Vikings plod forward. The Hungarians run away

The action was happening on the right flank. My light horse shot the poor light foot to disrupted and charged them in the steep hill. I won the impact and the light foot fragmented.

My knights were lining up for a charge on medium foot, which with both flanks being less than secure would have to be jolly quick...

Not much happening over here

My knights got the medium foot down a couple of bases and fragmented, but that wasn't quick enough and they were caught in the flank and destroyed. The other knights not liking that one bit...

My knights in the hill had turned and charged the fragmented light foot in the flank, breaking them.

My two units of light foot charged a single battle group of poor light foot, which I won thanks to putting two generals into the front rank.

Forgot to take any more photos, so from memory... I lost one of those Battle groups of Light Foot as they got charged by Heavy Foot whilst still in combat. My knights in the difficult going charged the Medium Foot who weren't quite on the hill and fragmented them at impact and breaking them after a prolonged melee.

The Vikings on the wing and the Irish in the centre plodded forward forcing three Hungarian BG's to evade off table.

And then time was called. I lost eleven out of fourteen BG's killing eight out of fifteen.

A good game, but difficult to reach a conclusion with the terrain that was on the table. Going first was really useful, but the Irish back edge was a bit of a fortress of difficult going.
Evaluator of Supremacy

Return to “Field of Glory AAR's”