Historical mods by Kondi

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Historical mods by Kondi

Post by kondi754 »

Hi,

I decided to go back to my idea from a few years ago and improve the game in terms of compliance with historical realities. First, the US Army and US Marines in the Pacific.

PACIFIC & FAR EAST HISTORICAL MOD
20220527184227_1.jpg
20220527184227_1.jpg (216.29 KiB) Viewed 2501 times

version 1.01 with new main screen
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqw4njh5tfcmb ... 01.7z?dl=0
version 1.1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bj6d2a4fr9zhi ... .1.7z?dl=0

MAIN FEATURES:
- removal of a large proportion of units that were not used at all or marginally used in this theater of operations
- introduction of correct combat service dates, EXAMPLE: later appearance of the Sherman tank (Bougainville, 1st November 1943) than in Europe (El Alamein, fall 1942) <- this is just one example of many, many others *
- the creation of several new units (P-47N and P-51H fighters switchable to rocket attack) for the last map in the US Pacific (Tokyo Bay landing) and several others for the USMC, which were used longer by the Marines than by the US Army/US Navy ( SBD Dauntless or M3 75mm GMC)
- creating new commanders who are now historical figures, I tried to make them people who are true icons of the Pacific War (but I left Drill Sergeant McNeill ** as a nod to the original campaign :wink: )

pacific commanders.jpg
pacific commanders.jpg (146.87 KiB) Viewed 2501 times

- of course, as always, I'm adding new skins based on historical sources

new skins.jpg
new skins.jpg (957.7 KiB) Viewed 2501 times

To be continued...
(more on the game's main forum)

* important note: M3 Satan is only available to the Marines and can only be purchased on the Saipan mission (it was only used on Saipan and Tinian during the Marianas campaign in 1944), since only around 20 vehicles were built, this tank has "no Repair" trait, so the player must use it wisely and try to protect it :mrgreen:
** play Bootcamp earlier
Last edited by kondi754 on Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: US Pacific historical mod

Post by conboy »

Kondi,
I'd like to take a look but I can't figure out how to arrange the files. I downloaded and unzipped the main directory and got the two folders (Mods and Skins). I pasted "Historical Pacific" folder into the Mod directory and it shows up with the other mods on the opening screen, but when I click the Pacific picture, it opens back up to the standard OoB opening screen with the US fighters attacking the japanese warship and standard content (along with custom campaigns based on vanilla OoB).
So, where do the files go?
thanks,
conboy
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

I get the same, it looks like it reverts back to the original OOB when I start the mod.
But I think we are fooled by the mod using the same defeault image...
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

conboy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:38 pm Kondi,
I'd like to take a look but I can't figure out how to arrange the files. I downloaded and unzipped the main directory and got the two folders (Mods and Skins). I pasted "Historical Pacific" folder into the Mod directory and it shows up with the other mods on the opening screen, but when I click the Pacific picture, it opens back up to the standard OoB opening screen with the US fighters attacking the japanese warship and standard content (along with custom campaigns based on vanilla OoB).
So, where do the files go?
thanks,
conboy
Hi,

I'm glad that you and Erik are interested in my Mod
For me, everything works (tried on the second PC)
Mods and Skins folders should be unpacked to c:/user/documents/my games/OoB (you probably did it)
You should have something like this on your main screen

20220528213017_1.jpg
20220528213017_1.jpg (990.78 KiB) Viewed 2433 times

You can now start a Bootcamp, US Pacific or US Marines campaign
I'm currently working on Burma Road in Pacific Mod, but there will also be a modified campaign to be opened from Custom Content
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

And screenshot from my second PC, it's no-Steam version of OoB
main.jpg
main.jpg (457.45 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I think you'd better replace the splash with something unique to your mod.
The defeault splash may confuse other players thinking they've been sent back to the main game.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Erik2 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:12 am I think you'd better replace the splash with something unique to your mod.
The defeault splash may confuse other players thinking they've been sent back to the main game.
Ok, I should make this :oops:
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Ver1.01 posted above
Sorry for the lack of graphic design, this is my first Mod published :wink:

20220529124443_1.jpg
20220529124443_1.jpg (990.85 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Much better.
Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating world of modding :D
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Erik2 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:15 pm Much better.
Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating world of modding :D
:lol:
Thanks
Mascarenhas
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Mascarenhas »

Is there a new version with this interface?
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Mascarenhas wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:59 pm Is there a new version with this interface?
Yes, it is
Ver. 1.01
Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas »

I really respect and praise your effort to contribute in keeping this lovely game alive but, please, make your work usable. It does not load properly and is invisible either as a mod or campaign. I suggest you to profit from the help and counsel of more experienced modders who are always at hand to provide support on such matters.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

The mod looks okay to me.

First of all, Thanks Kondi for the new skins and mod. :)

To be honest, I don't know if I'm gonna play it myself, but the structure and everything else seems perfectly okay to me.
The Pacific campaign starts normal.

Read the OP for the detailed changes included in this mod. This mod is a "player's mod" (similar to my own), intended for the stock Pacific campaign and does not include custom scenarios!
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Mascarenhas wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:45 am I really respect and praise your effort to contribute in keeping this lovely game alive but, please, make your work usable. It does not load properly and is invisible either as a mod or campaign. I suggest you to profit from the help and counsel of more experienced modders who are always at hand to provide support on such matters.
The mod allows you to play US Pacific and USMC in a more historical way (I tried to make it as historical as possible).
It seems to me that the game is a bit different than the original now, it's a bit more difficult and the player has to build his Core in a slightly different way.

The most important things that I forgot to write at the beginning:

1. I don't create new content, but only modify what is already there
2. I create my historical Mods primarily for myself, but I share them here because maybe there will be a maniac who will appreciate them, for many people visiting the forum the changes I make are irrelevant or unnoticeable, maybe annoying but for me it makes sense because they bring OoB closer to reality II world war

I'm sorry that I didn't meet your expectations if you were expecting fireworks, but I completely reject the accusation that the Mod is unprofessionally made. I know my limitations and I don't do things that are beyond my reach, but what I do I always try to do properly.
Thanks anyway for having the urge to check my work.
Last edited by kondi754 on Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

GabeKnight wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:32 am The mod looks okay to me.

First of all, Thanks Kondi for the new skins and mod. :)

To be honest, I don't know if I'm gonna play it myself, but the structure and everything else seems perfectly okay to me.
The Pacific campaign starts normal.

Read the OP for the detailed changes included in this mod. This mod is a "player's mod" (similar to my own), intended for the stock Pacific campaign and does not include custom scenarios!
These are words of wisdom. :)
Thanks Gabe
As I wrote above, I create it mainly for myself, but if I spent quite a lot of time collecting the information, I thought that I would post it here, maybe someone will appreciate it. :wink:

EDIT. I corrected most of the US faction entries in unit.csv. Gathering information to change 1 line (mostly dates) sometimes takes several hours of searching, reading and thinking.
It is even worse with detailed information about combat use of Japanese equipment, e.g. during the Burmese campaign. My only point is that even a small change that is imperceptible to many people requires a lot of effort.
Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas »

I must correct my remarks and apologize. I noticed I´ve done a mistake in mod´s installation and, after reinstalling, it worked as supposed to be. Sorry about that. Now I´ll try it with pleasure.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Mascarenhas wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:12 pm I must correct my remarks and apologize. I noticed I´ve done a mistake in mod´s installation and, after reinstalling, it worked as supposed to be. Sorry about that. Now I´ll try it with pleasure.
Oh ok :)
I'm glad that everything has cleared up.
I haven't created a modified US campaigns yet because the Japanese units are "fairly" properly time-adjusted to the individual maps in original OoB
I will come back to this after completing the work on the historical Burmese campaign.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Kondi, here's some feedback: your mod works okay, at least with the US Pacific campaign.

At first, I just wanted to try it and see if it works (as someone stated it does not), but after playing the first "Pearl Harbour" scen, I got hooked again. The naval/air scens are genious... overall these are the campaigns that made OoB such a huge success, no doubt about it... :D

Honestly, I did not see any real difference between your mod and vanilla (except the rocket/dogfighter switch unit), but anyhow, at least technically, everything's working alright.

Suggestions regarding the commanders: the black/white pics looks strange... I know, I know.... you have to take whatever pics are available... just saying...
And there's also a "spot" missing in the left upper corner, usually coloured differently, where the "range" number of the commander is displayed. Minor detail, but important, as you can't see a white number on a white background...
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Thanks for your comment :)
Honestly, I did not see any real difference between your mod and vanilla (except the rocket/dogfighter switch unit), but anyhow, at least technically, everything's working alright.
There shouldn't be any major differences, although I think the game should be a bit more difficult.
But the main goal was achieved - I proved that the game without new units appearing every mission is at least as good.
I think the Japanese are not a particularly demanding feaction in OoB, playing with historic units against Germany would be different...
Wait for me to modify both US campaigns in my own way, then you will evaluate the overall picture.
Suggestions regarding the commanders: the black/white pics looks strange... I know, I know.... you have to take whatever pics are available... just saying...
I created 1 new colored commander for Burma Road a few days ago, I didn't intentionally use a photo to match the others. It's a very long and laborious job.
And there's also a "spot" missing in the left upper corner, usually coloured differently, where the "range" number of the commander is displayed. Minor detail, but important, as you can't see a white number on a white background...
It will be fixed in version 1.1 :wink:
Although I don't pay attention to this circle at all when I play, the current strength of the units can be seen on the map. That's probably why I missed it.

Thanks again

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”