feeding

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

zeitoun
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

feeding

Post by zeitoun » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:27 am

hi,

in the impact phase green HF charge and press forward to Yellow MF.

Can the active player feed the red base into A or B during the manoeuvre phase?

david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: feeding

Post by david53 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:34 am

zeitoun wrote:hi,

in the impact phase green HF charge and press forward to Yellow MF.

Can the active player feed the red base into A or B during the manoeuvre phase?
IIRC the active player can expand its frontage by one file a base frontage on one side only (taken from page 72)

berthier
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by berthier » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:59 am

I don't think red 2 would be eligible for the expansion as the green/red bases must stay in contact and red 2 forms the link between the two green groups of the BG. Red 1 would still be eligible to expand to face A or B though. Maybe an author can clarify if I am reading the diagram correctly.

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:42 am

I assume you meant red 2 would NOT :?:

Si
Simon Hall
"May your dice roll 6s (unless ye be poor)"

Polkovnik
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Polkovnik » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:58 am

But Red 1 can't expand on its own because that would then be an illegal formation (less bases in rear two ranks). Or is that allowed when in combat, as IIRC on another thread one of the authors said it was OK to have a pike BG with two bases in one file and 4 in the other.

berthier

Post by berthier » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:05 pm

berthier wrote:I don't think red 2 would be eligible for the expansion as the green/red bases must stay in contact and red 2 forms the link between the two green groups of the BG. Red 1 would still be eligible to expand to face A or B though. Maybe an author can clarify if I am reading the diagram correctly.
Si wrote

I assume you meant red 2 would NOT
"don't" = do not (at least here in the colonies)

titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by titanu » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:33 pm

I think that the expansion would have to be BOTH red bases moving into contact with either of the yellow bases. As far as I can see there is nothing to stop the unit breaking contact whilst in melee.

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:45 pm

As far as I can see there is nothing to stop the unit breaking contact whilst in melee.
The conflicts with my understanding - p23 states that bases must remain in contact with each other?

Pete

sagji
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by sagji » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:15 pm

petedalby wrote:
As far as I can see there is nothing to stop the unit breaking contact whilst in melee.
The conflicts with my understanding - p23 states that bases must remain in contact with each other?

Pete
I agree, though I believe the intent is the BG must remain a contiguous block.
Which means that red 2 can't move.
However there is another rule which prevents red 2 moving - when feeding in more bases you can't move a base that is already in a position to contribute to the melee, and red 2 is an overlap on A.

rogerg
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by rogerg » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:00 pm

It's never an overlap!

zeitoun
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by zeitoun » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:43 pm

so,

what is the response?

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:09 pm

"don't" = do not (at least here in the colonies)
Sorry misred your post ... are you sure you didn'edit that back on :wink: I must be going mad ... although most people would say I did years ago.

Si

Is it an overlap? Good question indeed. I believe it is indeed an overalp so good spot. The first two HF cannot be an overlap as contributing to combat to the front but there is nothing stopping a non-contributing 3rd 4th 5th 6th etc. rank. AS long as the green HF are not pike where it would give a POA. SO that anwers the detail as it can't be redelpoyed anyway.

On the "can you break contact with other bases of your BG question, I suspect all authors would say the intent was no, but I will bounce it across to them to check.

Si
Simon Hall

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:28 am

But Red 1 can't expand on its own because that would then be an illegal formation (less bases in rear two ranks). Or is that allowed when in combat, as IIRC on another thread one of the authors said it was OK to have a pike BG with two bases in one file and 4 in the other.
Just to clear that one up, the one file with 2 bases and the other with 4 bases was not a voluntary move but was the result of casualties from 2 different battlegroups that caused more casualties to be removed from one colum instead of from all across the back of the pike block.

In another post many months ago I had asked about breaking contact with the BG and it was decided you can not break contact with the rest of your BG even if it was to step forward into contact with another enemy unit. So I would agree that red 2 can not move into and overlap even though it appears to be in an overlap to start with, never caught that one myself good job.
I don't see any reason why red 1 could not move into an overlap though

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:11 am

Had a chat with Terry last night on these lest I was going mad...his view same as mine.

1) You can break normal formation as a result of combat effects. So 4-2 is allowed. And you can shuffle up or replace a base from the non-front rank bases. It is all to do with "compulsory move" which we did not define inthe glossary but had we done so it would be something you have to do under the rules. There are a few other situations where it can cause an "abmnormal formation". The primary issue with these is simply that they are "ok for now", but reform back to nromal formation as soon as they move again, or indeed earlier in any manouvre phase. So we play and interp this identically. Pretty simple really.
2) you can't break a BG up, which is why we force them to slide back into contact if a middle base is lost in combat.

And clearly can't move a base that is an overlap - which was a good spot by sadji.

Si
Simon Hall

sagji

Post by sagji » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:17 am

shall wrote:Had a chat with Terry last night on these lest I was going mad...his view same as mine.

1) You can break normal formation as a result of combat effects. So 4-2 is allowed. And you can shuffle up or replace a base from the non-front rank bases. It is all to do with "compulsory move" which we did not define inthe glossary but had we done so it would be something you have to do under the rules. There are a few other situations where it can cause an "abmnormal formation". The primary issue with these is simply that they are "ok for now", but reform back to nromal formation as soon as they move again, or indeed earlier in any manouvre phase. So we play and interp this identically. Pretty simple really.
2) you can't break a BG up, which is why we force them to slide back into contact if a middle base is lost in combat.

And clearly can't move a base that is an overlap - which was a good spot by sadji.

Si
Except I don't see how you classify feeding in more bases in as a "compulsory move" - though I would like it to allow an abnormal formation.

shall
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by shall » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:22 pm

Should've gone to specsavers!

Si
Simon Hall

Return to “Rules Questions”