Why this game?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

springel
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Why this game?

Post by springel »

I post this in a couple of subforums, because I expect to get different answers :-).

I recently bought PC 1 Gold in a sale, and I acquired one module for OOB (Red Star) to be able to take a look at all the fan content.

Now I want to start a campaign in one of them, and I am lookin for arguments for one system over the other. What are the differences, strong or weak points?

Or should I dive into WH 40K Armageddon, to have fun with tanks? Or even Fanatasy General, which I also own without having played it?
sbpc1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Why this game?

Post by sbpc1 »

they all have similar combat models. personally i am not into the warhammer thing so i've only briefley tried armaggedon. i can't see whats going on in OOB - unit models too small backgrounds not distinctive from those unit models - frustrating. maybe it's my age. tried a bit of fantasy general good game system not really into the fantasy environment - but i liked it. play that before the other two.
PzC1 will keep you entertained for hundreds of hours if you are into WW2. graphics good enough to see what is what, make decisions etc. uncomplicated gameplay loads of mods (a good sign).
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

No PzC2 ?
sbpc1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by sbpc1 »

terminator wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:14 pmNo PzC2 ?
NOPE
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

sbpc1 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:32 pm
terminator wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:14 pmNo PzC2 ?
NOPE
Too bad...
rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by rubyjuno »

Panzer Corps has clear graphics that suit the game perfectly without being flashy. The community is still going strong and mods still being created many years after release, and the number of mods available is mind-blowing. There are a lot of official DLCs with varied content. The mechanics of the game are straightforward but this doesn't make the game easy. There are plenty of options to set a difficulty level that suits everyone. I particularly enjoy building up a core of units throughout the campaign and watching them gain experience and heroes, upgrading to better units as and when. I bought W40KA as it has similar mechanics but haven't played it much yet. I bought OOB but didn't play it for long as I don't like the cartoon style graphics and the red lines on the maps. I also prefer the PzC game mechanics. I've not played PzC2 as I've watched screenshots and videos and I don't like the graphics at all.
sbpc1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by sbpc1 »

to: rubyjuno - well put

and PzC1 is not at all demanding in terms of PC hardware.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

This game(PzC1) is difficult to play on a laptop because there is no zoom possible. PzC2 on the other hand is played without problem on a laptop because you can zoom as you like.
For Warhammer 40K Armageddon there is an additional zoom level which is appreciable compared to PzC1.
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

terminator wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:03 am This game(PzC1) is difficult to play on a laptop because there is no zoom possible. PzC2 on the other hand is played without problem on a laptop because you can zoom as you like.
For Warhammer 40K Armageddon there is an additional zoom level which is appreciable compared to PzC1.
I'm nearly 60 and I play on a laptop, although it is a 17 inch HD screen, and it's a particularly good screen. I guess it depends on the screen (and your eyesight :lol: )
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

rubyjuno wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:06 am
terminator wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:03 am This game(PzC1) is difficult to play on a laptop because there is no zoom possible. PzC2 on the other hand is played without problem on a laptop because you can zoom as you like.
I'm nearly 60 and I play on a laptop, although it is a 17 inch HD screen, and it's a particularly good screen. I guess it depends on the screen (and your eyesight :lol: )
But not on a 15.6 inch screen...
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Try Pz 1 with the mod Battlefield Europe by McGuba! :)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
heinzrondorf
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by heinzrondorf »

terminator wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:58 am But not on a 15.6 inch screen...
Why can't you zoom on a laptop? I play it on a MacBook Pro and I using the trackpad to zoom in/out but maybe the PC version is different?
sbpc1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by sbpc1 »

zoom is tricky on a trackpad - try plugging in mouse with a scroll wheel - does that not zoom in/out?
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

heinzrondorf wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:54 pm
terminator wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:58 am But not on a 15.6 inch screen...
Why can't you zoom on a laptop? I play it on a MacBook Pro and I using the trackpad to zoom in/out but maybe the PC version is different?
I only have the two default zoom levels, this does not bring anything more...
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

On the PC (laptop or desktop) there is only the fixed standard view (which changes with resolution, of course) and a zoomed out view which shows the whole map for the scenario (handy for getting an overview). I have a 17 inch HD laptop and my 22 inch HD monitor for my desktop and the standard view works fine for me, although I appreciate some players would prefer to be able to zoom in and out.
heinzrondorf

Post by heinzrondorf »

rubyjuno wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:23 am On the PC (laptop or desktop) there is only the fixed standard view (which changes with resolution, of course) and a zoomed out view which shows the whole map for the scenario (handy for getting an overview). I have a 17 inch HD laptop and my 22 inch HD monitor for my desktop and the standard view works fine for me, although I appreciate some players would prefer to be able to zoom in and out.
Yes, you are of course right. I had forgotten about that but I remember now when you wrote... it is one of the reasons I did not like the PC version. As flawed as the Mac port/version is the easy scrolling and zooming works quite well. It is so much easier to move around the map and zoom in and out, especially when playing on a laptop without a mouse.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

It is easy to zoom with the games on the browser even on PC laptop with trackpad:

Capture d’écran (766).png
Capture d’écran (766).png (275.73 KiB) Viewed 720 times
faos333
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by faos333 »

It would be nice for PzC 1 to be able for more zooming, but for me is ok, although I mostly play on lap top, everything is looking fine and actually I prefer the zoom out function, to look over larger areas during the fights!
Battlefield Europe get the most from Panzer Corps 8)
Download the new 2.4 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985

Return to “Panzer Corps”