Hooray - I finished my first 3D PC2 model!

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

asuser
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Hooray - I finished my first 3D PC2 model!

Post by asuser »

Missing units for the game PC2 game is a big problem, so I decided to dive a little deeper into the directory structure of the game PC2, the Unreal Engine Editor 4 (UE4) and various graphics programs.

I am assuming that modding activities are permitted for the PC2 game and that I am not violating the copyright of the game manufacturer by using the directory structure and the specified base files in the various .csv, .png, .uasset, .uexp formats.

Structure of the 3D model

Various graphics programs can be used to create a 3D model. My favorite program is 3ds Max and Poser Game Dev 2014.
Once you have decided on a specific model, the model must be broken down as well as possible into its main components in the graphics program, which can still be recognized later in the game. For example, in the case of my new truck Lorraine28 vehicle I have chosen, this would be the following components:
Driver's cabin with doors, vehicle chassis, superstructures such as the tarpaulin, wheels and special design elements such as the radiator grille.
With these components, the truck is designed as well as possible in the graphics program, so that a finished 3D model is created in the end. Since this process is very extensive, there is only a short version here:

1. Create a grid model based on the blueprint of the vehicle (with 3ds Max, Blender, Maya or Sketchup program)
2. Create UV Map with 3ds Max, Blender or UV Professional
3. Define texturals

That is the first result:
Lorr28_1.png
Lorr28_1.png (48.32 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Lorr28_2.png
Lorr28_2.png (64.07 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

The finished 3D model is saved in the graphics program so that it can be exported. This requires both templates that later take over the light and color control, as well as certain assemblies that, according to the way the game PC2 works, are usually stored in several UE4 memory blocks (such as Alphas, Body, Color, Gun, Barrel, Turret, Tracks, Wheeldrive, Wheelrear, Wheelroad) must be saved. Each 3D model is saved in FBX 3D file format, which can export individual parts and animations. In general, this should be almost identical in the graphics programs Blender, Poser and 3ds Max. However, FBX is important because it is important for the further processing in the UE4. It can be imported into the UE4 through the FBX format.
Last edited by asuser on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
asuser

Re: Hooray - I finished my first 3D PC2 model!

Post by asuser »

Merging of the modules in the UE4

Since my vehicle is still a relatively simple model (simple in the sense that it has no moving parts such as a tank turret or an additional cannon), I only need the body assembly here, which is saved as a so-called LOD. So-called templates are now required in UE4 for further processing.
The templates always have a standard size of 2048 x 2048 pixels. Here, the color map (black/grey background) and the alpha map (surface structures, so-called bumps, brightness effects, invisible areas, reflections on the glass, etc.) must be distinguished. On the color map, the components are shown on a dark background, as raw components.

Color map Lorraine 28
Lorr28_5.png
Lorr28_5.png (130.08 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

The so-called Alpha Map now defines these areas more precisely. It is also a so-called transparency map, where several things are defined at the same time, the red areas are the parts that are not changed, blue probably means a light glare effect with glass, since this is the case with windows everywhere. Everything yellow and fading into green is then covered by a camo matrix, and at the same time creates lighter and darker areas on the vehicle. White or empty alpha channel transparency areas will probably become transparent - to better show details here with wheels etc.

Alpha map Lorraine 28
Lorr28_6.png
Lorr28_6.png (170.49 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

Once the templates and the UE4 memory blocks (such as Alphas, Body, Color, Gun, Barrel, Turret, Tracks, Wheeldrive, Wheelrear, Wheelroad) have been created, the model should be saved as a new unit (Lorraine28). It is saved first in the .png format and then to be imported as DXT5 (high compression) format, i.e. a graphic area is saved here that is transparent and is also required for the PC2 game.

Here is the first problem! It is not yet known how new units can be saved with new names. Editing and re-encoding the UnitModels.csv from Graphics/Data does not work in the UE4 editor. Without the properly defined UnitModels.uasset and UnitModels.uexp files, there is no access to model-unit references such as size information, weapon sounds, and effect settings of a new unit. My assumption is that there is a special encryption technique for this, without which the integration of a new 3D model will not work.

To solve this problem, I saved the new model of the new unit Lorraine 28 as a "Neubaufahrzeug" (I saved the original graphic files of the “Neubaufahrzeug” vehicle beforehand).
Last edited by asuser on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
asuser

Post by asuser »

Result

Now comes the fun part! If the overwritten model "Neubaufahrzeug” is inserted in the units.csv under the new unit designation Lorraine28, the new truck appears in the game and also moves, unfortunately still without movement sound.

Lorr28_3.png
Lorr28_3.png (192.04 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
Lorr28_4.png
Lorr28_4.png (169.93 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

The following questions are for the developers, which I have not been able to clarify so far

1. How or where is the area marked on the templates or in the skin files where the insignia will later come in. Where is this set in the UE4?

2.How are camo skin structures assigned to a new vehicle? So far only the base color can be changed? Is this set when creating the alpha map? That all seems to be set in the 3D model in the UE4?

3. Where are effect positions set on the 3D model in UE4, such as exhaust, smoke point and shot effect points for the respective effect animations, which should also be controllable at the right angle? Are there special pivot settings in the UE4 for this? (centralizing alignment, pivot points of the vehicle parts...)?

4. The editing of the individual parts of the units such as turret, track, wheels, cannon, wheels etc. in UE4 cannot be understood without instructions. How are the components correctly assembled into a common LOD? Do the models need an FBX skeleton or does everything work with alignment by pivot in 3D programs like Blender or 3ds Max?

It would be very helpful and cooperative if the developers could support here! It would be possible to make a constructive contribution here and to support the developers with the creating process of new units! Please help!
wecker
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by wecker »

Wow - congrats !

This vehicle looks simply amazing !

I would like to see more of that.

Adding new vehicles in mods would be such a great asset to the game!

Hope the developers will support you.

I can imagine that there may be the question of some license costs. I personally would be willing to let`s say pay 10 € for let`s say a pack of 10 complete new vehicles. This could evolve in a new business model. O.k. - World of Tanks sell`s too much vehicles but this would not be the case here I hope.

And devs please - can you add the possibility to add more appropriate sounds ;-)
ChristianC
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ChristianC »

Awesome! :)

Thanks for sharing this great information with the community and I also hope you get the support you deserve!
Bee1976
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Bee1976 »

Nice one! Real awesome job. I think, that Pat might help, have you tried to message him over the forums directly ?
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Funny how this exact same model and texture appears on H Balcks Facebook page.
HBalck.JPG
HBalck.JPG (111.03 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Don't expect any help from me.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Khancotlette
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Khancotlette »

Patrick Ward wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:12 pm Funny how this exact same model and texture appears on H Balcks Facebook page.

HBalck.JPG

Pat
Is it really impossible to separate the creation from its author for you? We all do need to know how to mod the game and eagerly wait for the long-promised modding support, not only him, and if he manages to make at least something, maybe the others should also know how to use that.
ChristianC
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ChristianC »

Patrick Ward wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:12 pm Funny how this exact same model and texture appears on H Balcks Facebook page

Pat
Your team banished this guy but still check up on him? I suggest use the time to lend support and drop by the MP forum because everyone is quite annoyed at how poorly your team is performing. And the mute strategy is the worst aspect of it. You're reading all of it. I know 90+ percent of your company's profit comes from players who are divorced from this, but for the community's sake I ask you to try a bit harder because the current situation sucks.
asuser

Post by asuser »

Thanks for the support!

Forget H.B., let him R.I.P., please.

My only interest is having fun with the game, improving the game and supporting where I can... and of course respectful communication.

Nothing more than that.
wecker

Post by wecker »

Hm - I really don`t know anything about these things which happened :shock:

I am only seeing that there is somebody who tries to contribute to the game.

And I would think that for such a great project like PC2 any help is welcome.

There would be so many vehicles and icons which would benefit the game (Panzerbefehlswagen I for example or a lot of captured enemy trucks).

Just my 2 cents - but who am I...

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”