I've been bad at this game for years.

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

champagne
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

I've been bad at this game for years.

Post by champagne »

I'm OK at Field of Glory II, but, the Historical scenarios in this game, even on Colonel, are often unbeatable for me. I lost the Tutorial scenario against the Transylvanians! I know how Flanking and other tactical nuances work, but, I am doing some things wrong.

Advice please? Thanks.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: I've been bad at this game for years.

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

The difficulty level is basically one level higher to its equivalent in FoG, and the scenarios were balanced harder. I learned the game (after playing the tutorials) by playing the English Civil War battles on fairly low difficulty.

General advice is frankly hard to give, so much depends on army comp/terrain. But if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

I have been making errors and losing games for years, especially against Snugglebunnies, so I know how you feel! I have drawn a few conclusions.
- Keep your army together and coherent, avoid attacks with isolated units or groups. When I stick to this, I usually do better.
- I prefer to play aggressively , but others are more subtle and set-up a good defensive line, but know when to move out and attack. The worst thing is to play passively.
- Balance your army between high quality and lesser quality units.
- If you charge an enemy unit and win the melee then be aware that your unit will most likely pursue the enemy. This can work to your advantage when the pursuer breaks off to engage a unit in its path and you can get spectacular cavalry charges like this. But it can also leave that pursuer vulnerable to shooting or being outflanked. And it takes it away from the battle area. Timing is important.
- On the same line, if you can break the enemy through shooting it is better generally.

There will be exceptions to these suggestions of course, depending on the situation.

Final tip, watch some of Snugglebunnies's videos on YT and see how he plays.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

champagne wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:01 am ...the Tutorial scenario against the Transylvanians...

Advice please? Thanks.
https://youtu.be/p4yt8gANwJs

Here you go on that one, a quick playthrough
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

champagne

Post by champagne »

n/m
Last edited by champagne on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
champagne

Post by champagne »

Wow! thanks for the quick advice, folks!

I probably should re-start things by playing the English CW scenarios at the Easiest setting.

And thanks for creating the Playthrough!
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

champagne wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:18 pm Wow! thanks for the quick advice, folks!

I probably should re-start things by playing the English CW scenarios at the Easiest setting.

And thanks for creating the Playthrough!
I'll add that Detailed ToolTips are your friend, and if you use Close Combat Results, set those to detailed too.

PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

Good advice from two experienced players above all of which should be useful. If you have not already read it there is also a P & S quick guide (By HobbesACW) which I found a useful introduction when I first started out.

It is the third item down in the P & S Topics section of the forum.

Good luck and enjoy the game

Peter

Return to “Pike & Shot”