Now available - Bannockburn 1314 . . .

Moderator: rbodleyscott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Now available - Bannockburn 1314 . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

I am actually looking at Edward Bruce in Ireland 1315 for my next batch of scenarios, but Bannockburn has to be considered the "gateway" to the subsequent invasion of Ireland by the Bruces.

Here are a couple of screenshots.

1) This is the full battlefield . . .

Screen_00000003.jpg
Screen_00000003.jpg (828.27 KiB) Viewed 554 times

2) and this is a close up of my new-fangled, super-dooper extended Scottish schiltron formation that will attempt to carve up the huge English army that is facing. The only thing holding it together is the skill of the player (there are no scripts or anything).

Screen_00000002.jpg
Screen_00000002.jpg (796.89 KiB) Viewed 554 times
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Now available - Bannockburn 1314 . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

I am doing some further play-testing on this scenario as it only really works as intended if the English player repeatedly charges the Scottish schiltrons with the mounted knights. Other strategies lead to a bit of a stalemate and the Scots are easily defeated if they deploy into an extended line.

I have changed the starting positions of the English knights which helps, but the key thing will be to add "anarchy" charging for the English knights. I am trying to contact Schweetness101 to see if he can help me with it. Once I know the answer to that question I will release v2.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Just an update on this scenario that I feel is not working as intended. I mentioned that I want to add "anarchy charging" to the scenario to remove the odious "ZOC-lock" tactic that can be used by the English knights to paralyse the Scottish schiltrons. That is unlikely to happen until sometime after Xmas as Gabe is busy with other stuff at the moment.

In the meantime, I have been doing some more development work on the scenario, which you can see in the two screenshots below. In the first one, you can see the set-up for The English knights. Instead of 3 teams as before, there are now just two, with the very best knights in the first rank and the middling knights in the second rank. You will notice that the English knights start further back from the schiltrons as well . . .

Screen_00000011.jpg
Screen_00000011.jpg (840.17 KiB) Viewed 434 times

This screenshot shows the entire English army and newly added camp. Note that the foot knight commanders for the two infantry contingents have now been replaced by mounted knight commanders (Edward II and Aymer de Valence) . . .

Screen_00000012.jpg
Screen_00000012.jpg (895.31 KiB) Viewed 434 times

What I am thinking of doing is to add a couple of scripts to the scenario that compel the two infantry contingents to move forward a full move on the first two turns and the rear infantry contingent to move forward a full move on the third turn as well. This will create the congestion in the English position that I am looking for. The other script that might be possible is to make it so that any infantry unit "falling back" voluntarily either suffers a cohesion drop or has to pass a cohesion check (I would need to test this).

If anyone wants to help me play-test this scenario, please put your name in this thread or send me a PM. Thanks. :wink:
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

My thanks to Paul59 for adding a script that makes the two contingents of English foot march forward, one for the first two turns, the other for the first three turns - before the English player takes control of them. The first screenshot shows the situation in a play-test today on about Turn 9 where the English army is very congested as they were at the real Bannockburn . . .

Screen_00000002.jpg
Screen_00000002.jpg (842.61 KiB) Viewed 401 times

The second screenshot is to illustrate a way in which you could play the scenario to simulate "anarchy charging" for the English knights only until I get an "anarchy" script added properly. The optional rule would be that any English mounted knight unit adjacent to a Scottish unit at the start of the English turn must charge that unit (i.e. the English knight with the commander in the centre of the screenshot must charge). This is to simulate the overconfidence, and then desperation of, the English knights in the battle . . .

Screen_00000003.jpg
Screen_00000003.jpg (904.06 KiB) Viewed 401 times

Btw, I do have a player to play-test this in MP now.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval - Scenario Design”