Samnium in 310 BC

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

w_michael
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Samnium in 310 BC

Post by w_michael »

It rightly deserves a 5-star difficulty level. Short of immediately becoming a client-state of Rome, has anyone managed to survive as Samnium for 50+ years? I'm lucky to last 12 with an aggressive Rome AI.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Swuul
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Samnium in 310 BC

Post by Swuul »

w_michael wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:12 am It rightly deserves a 5-star difficulty level. Short of immediately becoming a client-state of Rome, has anyone managed to survive as Samnium for 50+ years? I'm lucky to last 12 with an aggressive Rome AI.
Is this a challenge? Which scenario are we talking of? I've never actually to played as Samnium, but might be interesting to see how it goes :)
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

First attempt, less than stellar play from me (made quite a few doo-doos along the way), but it is now turn 51, Samnium is alive, has never been a client of any nation, and has just conquered Apulia from Rome.

Screen-shot of turn 51 start:
https://i.imgur.com/E8wmT4C.jpg

I might continue this and see if I can actually beat up Rome for real :)
The key to survival so far has been dumping manpower, metal and money to Ertruria. Those ungrateful bastards *still* refuse to ally me, but at least they have been able to put a fight. Samnia is allied with Boi, and my army has gathered some experience stars up north fighting in their wars against the various barbarians (and have extorted some provincial units from the barbarians in the peacetalks). I have tried to sweet talk Carthage, but they too ignore my alliance requests; however, they sold me four of their provincial phants, which nearly drove me broke (those giants cost a fortune in upkeep every turn -> I had to disband one of them as it was the only way to stay barely afloat :o ), but they sure give a nice oomph to my army).
Surt
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Surt »

Sounds interesting :) like surviving with Elam in Persia!!!
w_michael
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by w_michael »

You are doing very well. In my three tries Rome declares war on Turn 10, and attacks with a 100+ point army led by a 2-2 general. The mountains help, but aren't enough. I was surprised to see that Samnium can build phallanx right from the start.
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

Don't try to build Phalanx as Samnium. First of all, they are horrible in hilly terrain, and secondly you have to be extremely lucky to even have high enough Armament limit to start producing them. If/when you are able to form the Italy Inferior province, you should build the Lin Teata legio; not only are they not-clumsy (unlike all other heavy infantry) but they also have the Mountainmen ability (so they actually are the best unit in the game to use in Hills or Mountains).

However, because of the Armament limit, Samnium is better to focus on Medium infantry. Use the regional decision to to recruit local troops every time you have it available, and recruit Regular infantry. Park 4-6 medium infantry and 6 light infantry inside the Fort of Umbria, together with the best defensive General you have. When Rome attacks, they will be bolstered by Palace guards and urban Militia, and the gates will hold.

Put your other units in the mobile army, try trade for units and/or extort the various barbarians (Cisaplina and Pannonia cavalry for example,, or 'phants from Carthage), and get into wars you can quickly finish (you just want to extort easy peaceconditions and hopefully make allies on the run).
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

Rome was conquered on turn 75, their last army, besieged in Cisalpina, accepted peace and joined the glorious city state of Samnium. O quam cito transit gloria mundi.

Situation at start of turn 76: https://i.imgur.com/GLmJfDb.jpg
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Excellent and fun :D
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
w_michael
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by w_michael »

Thanks for the inspiration. I will have to change my play style.
Surt

Post by Surt »

Nicely done.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”