Naming your units - do you make it fun?

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Korvessa
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Naming your units - do you make it fun?

Post by Korvessa »

So do you name your units? Do you make it fun?
Or are they just functional?

Right now my army is either based upon, or at least inspired by characters from the Hekawi from F-Troop (so I have fighter pilots named Wild Eagle & Roaring Chicken) or the Poohawks from my favorite comic strip of days gone by (Tumbleweeds):
Tanks named: Lotsa Luck, Limpid Lizard & Bucolic Buffalo to name a few.
Retributarr
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Naming your units - do you make it fun?

Post by Retributarr »

I named my acquired "KV2"-Tank "IGOR".
Tassadar
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Tassadar »

Back in Panzer Corps 1, I used to have a very orderly approach, naming my units "Tank Battalion 1", Tank Battalion 2" and so on, sometimes adding capital letter for heroes that added range or spotting. In Panzer Corps 2, with the extra camouflage options, extra heroes and many more customization, it slowly started to shift. First I got inspired by Horseman's "Herr Pferdmann rides again!" AAR and the naming using German acronyms, so I switched to doing a bit of research and adding names in the historically accurate languages. Then I somewhat switched to trying to make the numbers more generic than just 1, 2 and 3, but this did not last - on the other hand, Stormchaser's "General Flasch's Auxiliary Adventures" made me open to the idea of using names for specific units. I incorporated this in one one my runs and it's been quite enjoyable, as it further adds customization - tanks got named after dragons, infantry after historical figures and such. The are quite a few options and as someone who likes to try out some flavorful additions to games, this does work well for me.

The thing is, on multiple campaigns can be difficult to always figure out some creative naming system, but I am almost sure that with Pacific Corps I'll try to give at least the American side a bit of extra flavor.
Retributarr
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Retributarr »

Tassadar wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:22 pm
I am almost sure that with Pacific Corps I'll try to give at least the American side a bit of extra flavor.

[Ret] Yeahhh!... long ago i played a WWII Pacific War Game... and the Americans in conjunction with the Japanese team made it.

The American team snuck in a name to use for Japanese Shipping... and at first it looked legitimate!... one of the names submitted for use was...
"ishitsuchi".
Retributarr
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Retributarr »

Retributarr wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:55 am I named my acquired "KV2"-Tank "IGOR".
New!... additional explanation!:
"IGOR" saying... "I"-"Gore"... you!... i am the terrible... Killer-Beast!.
Thunderhog

Post by Thunderhog »

I had a friend give me a website that lists actual german unit names and types. Like this.
Attachments
20220622071027_1.jpg
20220622071027_1.jpg (432.45 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”