Wagon lagers in deployment phase

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

bahatrick
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Wagon lagers in deployment phase

Post by bahatrick »

Quick question on something that's been puzzling me. During a campaign, on occasion I will be asked to put down defensive lagers (or ditches) in the deployment phase, but upon examining the map enemy lagers are plainly visible, indicating that they are on the defensive. If I follow through as encouraged, and take a defensive posture, and the enemy is in a defensive posture, how can the battle take place? Now when I see fortifications on the map, I assume I'll be attacking, and ignore my own defenses, which seems to make the AI upset. I guess my question is, in a scenario where I am plainly to be on the attack, why does the AI ask you to build defenses? Seems like a glitch.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Wagon lagers in deployment phase

Post by rbodleyscott »

Some armies e.g. Ottomans (also Poles etc.) used field fortifications for their infantry in open field battles.

They hoped the enemy would attack, but obviously if both sides had the same idea, one side would have to abandon its defences and attack, or no battle would occur.
Richard Bodley Scott

Karvon
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Karvon »

FWIW, in a fair number of battles vs AI, I've seen them abandon their positions in response to my moves, so they can be tempted out. Also, if you sit long enough, they will eventually launch an attack on your position, though then you may run out of time to break their army - depending on how their assault unfolds.
FOG2 Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC - Imperial and Early Dark Ages Coordinator
bahatrick

Post by bahatrick »

Thanks for the responses guys! Yes, I've waited a long time for an attack to launch, but it's true that then you have no time to win the battle! I don't think I've been able to tempt anyone to leave their defenses yet, the AI can be a little cagey. More often than not if I notice enemy FF on the map, I'll just deploy for an attack. Risky, but I'm not that patient!! :D
tyronec
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by tyronec »

Just work your way around them instead of attacking frontally. I think the AI will always be drawn out of position when you start to engage.
Paul59
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by Paul59 »

I think the key to getting the AI to advance is getting a unit behind their front line. I'm not sure if it has to be a non-light unit.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”