Planetary Supremacy Ideas and Feedback

CoachLazyEye
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Planetary Supremacy Ideas and Feedback

Post by CoachLazyEye »

Just tried out the Planetary Supremacy preview and it looks promising. I love the thought and detail the Dev team has done for this game.

For example, I laughed the first time a giant skull clunked against my Land Speeder and rolled away when I was over-watched by the Korne Cannon (whatever it's called) - so fun!

I recognize this is a preview and so I suspect things like not going up landing pad ramps or accessing trenches probably is something that will happen in the future. Some other poster's have mentioned the terrain doesn't provide cover bonuses but they do - I think some players might not be ware that some of the Necron troops have special targeting that negates it.

I love how the battles have a certain threshold of troops to kill to win the battle. It has affected the way I play as I'll retreat nearly dead squads to avoid giving points to my opponent and I've sometimes targeted higher value targets to get over the threshold.

I like the current army selection mechanics. Most troops are available but special one's like librarians and tech priests have to be earned.

Here are some thoughts and suggestions:

1) The tile setup reminds me of Catan which is a great concept.

Additional tile types:

"Impassible terrain"
"Rivers"
"Forests" to make additional tactics possible

Tile rewards like collecting certain types to earn fortification mods.

Special tiles:
"abandoned requisition" where you could find a random faction's gear and equip a unit with these exotic or rare weapons to your army.
"seige" tile where you have to invade a fortress
"feral" tile native animals and heavy vegetation. This could be an alternative to Impassible terrain so you have to decide if it's worth the risk or just go the long way around the tile.

2) Another post suggested influences from the game of Risk. I agree. After each tile is taken you must leave at least 1 unit behind to garrison the tile -something like that.

3) My favourite edition of the tabletop game was 2nd edition because it allowed so much customization. Customization could be earned via tile rewards or as a perk after reaching a certain veterancy in the campaign - like getting access to special equipment if a unit reaches 5th, 8th, and 10th ranks. I know in later editions of 40K they made certain grenade types race specific but in war there's always capturing or getting contraband so I'd like the choice to be buying or finding rare types of loot like haywire, anti-plant, tangle grenades, vortex grenades, stasis, hallucinogen, pyk-out, blind, rad.

5) I'd like the battle maps to be zoomed out a bit so it's faster to select units across the board.

6) Not sure about the initial battle setups because I tend to "turtle" the first few turns until I know where the enemy is. Ah! Battle scanners should be a wargear item to allow for tactical advantage during setup - maybe an increased radius or allowing you to scan an area on the map.

7) Another poster mentioned narratives to the random campaigns. I'd like to see a theme, story or different narrative as well.
* Capture critical tiles in x turns (aka take and hold / king of the hill)
* Land grab - most tiles by the end of x turns

Keep up the great work!
theclassiestgamer

Re: Planetary Supremacy Ideas and Feedback

Post by theclassiestgamer »

I recently completed the campaign and have been playing around with this component of the game. This is one of the best Warhammer 40k games out there, but I fear it is going to stagnate if more isn't added to it or there isn't a multiplayer community. I was disappointed there was not a campaign for the necrons or tyranids. I don't think I would purchase another DLC for this game in its current state unless there is significant multiplayer to use the DLC units. Here are some of my thoughts and feedback.
1) some of the maps seemed to have too much clutter. Seems like it should be opened up slightly. For example, the map with all the rocks. obstacles felt excessive and slowed movement and battle too much.
2) The map for the supremacy needs to be enlarged or there needs to be objectives to encourage you to capture more locations. I can easily beat the map in 3 turns with all factions. For example, you could make bonuses for increased army size, increased reinforcements per turn, overall campaign bonuses, add possible battle bonuses such as start with 1-2 banner points for special attacks, allow you to weaken garrison army, cost faction an AP (would need a cooldown) etc.
3) I found that the AI just repurchases low tier units. Space marines = assault marines, 1 hell blaster, 1 tank, 1 dreadnaught, 1 librarian, 1 LT, 1 priest, and 1 sang guard. Tyrranids = warriors, horm and torms, 1 hive tyrant. necrons = 2 hexs, tons of warriors, 1 overlord, 2 tombs, and maybe a guard or 2. Why is the AI not purchasing more varied units/rosters/equipment. Leads to redundancy. Same with the maps with chaos and sisters. they always have the same units and equipment. This needs to be varied. 1800 points of 3 units over and over again gets dull
4) I like the points for kills objective. That was a good idea. Since the AI usually only selects lower tier units though it is just a kill everything objective. perhaps reworking the points so you don't have to kill everything (or make it less than 100 points to end the match) so more strategic playstyle can be performed would be fun. could feel overwhelming and challenging. would also make unit losses seem more devastating. would also prevent having to repurchase your army every turn (see below for my thoughts on that topic)
5) change the way armies are reinforced. You could start with a 500–600/turn point limit and increase from there instead of being able to rebuild your army to max capacity every turn. This could be a bonus added to the map locations to encourage you to capture them. AI could have a bonus to replenishment on the harder difficulties. The current set up just makes unit losses feel like a minor annoyance.
6) the cover system needs to be changed. your units should not have a penalty for being in cover and shooting enemies. only the enemies should suffer a penalty for accuracy.
7) once a faction is destroyed and the territories they have claimed are no longer under their control, do you get the benefit from capturing them? The description of the benefit disappears so it was unclear to me.
8) there needs to be more battle objectives to add variety. you could add an assassination objective (give each army a leader unit they need to keep alive), 5-8 turns to capture the most objectives/ get most kills, etc, a king of the hill
9) it would be nice if the requisition doesn't cap at 4. you get that every turn and it doesn't increase above it if you don't use them. It effectively penalizes you for not losing units. Interestingly, it shows a possibility for 8 of them on my reinforcement screen but never goes above 4. I don't understand why 4 are always grey out. is this a bug?

Thanks for making a good warhammer 40k game. keep up the good work.

Return to “Planetary Supremacy”