30 Years War Campaign

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

30 Years War Campaign

Post by awesum4 »

I've decided to run a 30 Years War campaign for between 4 and 6 players on each side.

Players must decide if they are supporters of the Catholic/Imperial Establishment, or the Protestant/Reformation Rebels.

There will be six rounds using the armies of 1618 in round 1, 1624 in round 2, 1630 in round 3, 1636 in round 4, 1642 in round 5 and 1648 in round 6. All armies chosen from the 30 Years War Section.

If we get 6 players on each side you will play each of the other team once.

The intention would be to fight 1 battle each month starting from the 1st of September.

I'm expecting some of the more colourful players to adopt names and titles applicable to the period, and to post scurrilous propaganda broadsheets, such activities will be encouraged.

So any who are interested please post on here, stating which side you support.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: 30 Years War Campaign

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Field Crown Hetman Stanislaw Kiwipolski will uphold the Rights & Privileges of the Papists. :twisted:
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I am happy to throw or be thrown out the window
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

Count me in, Andre, this is my favourite period. I have a slight preference for the Lutherans but happy equally to play for Hapsburg. Thanks for this initiative.
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

Yes please! I would prefer Protestant but am quite happy to play for the other side.
PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

Yes please sounds fun. I would like to fight to maintain the unity of Christendom against the rebels with nationalist ambitions hiding behind troublesome religious doctrine.
markleslie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by markleslie »

So, the dogs are coursing once again, time to put on my chook strangling pants and get to work.

Having no use for Mummers and cross dressers I stand with all right thinking Protestants.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

On January the 17th in the year of Our Lord 1618, the Emperor Matthais died.

His son and Heir Ferdinand has been elected as the Emperor Ferdinand Mark 2. His first act as Emperor has been to revoke the Peace Augsburg which guaranteed the Princes of Germany the right to follow the various Protestant sects if they no longer wish to be Catholics. He decreed that all the lapsed Princes had 3 months return to the Catholic faith or be declared as heretics and traitors, thereby forfeiting all titles and ownership of their lands, and be liable to examined by the newly raised German Inquisition.

Some of the Princes have returned to the Faith, hoping to gain favour from the Emperor and possibly claiming confiscated titles and lands, others have always been staunchly Catholic. But a number of the Princes have refused to renounce their faith and decided to rebel against a man they consider a Tyrant.

So throughout Germany rebellions are occurring. So far they are small, local and uncoordinated. Will Ferdinand crush them before they can take hold, or will the rebels not only survive but in fact prosper and possibly overthrow the Empire itself?

Once we have a few more players signed up I will set up the first round of our campaign, so spread the word and enlist the guys you play against for what will hopefully be a fun campaign full of challenges and drama.
SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SpeedyCM »

I'd like to participate in this.
Either side will do for me, I'm happy to kill heretics of all persuasions.
GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by GentlemanRanker »

Experienced Military Entrepreneur seeks generous employer: fully conversant with the scientific principles of warfare; large armies swiftly procured at rock-bottom prices, self-provisioning, low maintenance, quality guaranteed. Doctrinal issues no impediment.

References available on application to Count E. von Mansfeld.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

We have 6 Protestant rebels, need 2 more Catholics and we can start the war. It can be expanded by another 1 on each side.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Would it be alright if I used Cronos' excellent FoG Features mod for my matches? Army lists are untouched, and the changes are largely minor QoL things and bug fixes.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Snuggles,

its fine with me if its fine with your opponent, the default setting is standard P&S campaigns.
I'm not sure how you implement the changes, so they can be used,

Andre
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

awesum4 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:34 am Snuggles,

its fine with me if its fine with your opponent, the default setting is standard P&S campaigns.
I'm not sure how you implement the changes, so they can be used,

Andre
It's Tercio to Salvo FoG2 Features Mod available as in game DL, which includes TYW lists. I'll of course check with my opponents first, here is the feature list if you're curious:

1) 'Push back', 'Fight Melee', 'Immediate Score' and 'Undo' options (remember, if you used the 'Undo' command, that unit is removed from 'Next Unmoved' option. So it will be better to move the unit again at once);
2) the mod includes fixes for the flaws of the original P&S based on FoG2 scripts:
a) charging enemy units that are beyond 45 degrees of straight ahead at the start of the move after a turn,
b) blocking of 2 units with ZoCs of each other when they are separated by two other units in close combat,
c) cavalry doesn't get +100 PoA vs the Mobs in open;
d) 'Mobs' cannot charge non-light cavalry;
3) 'Remove evader casualties' option;
4) FoG2 'Turn and Shoot' option.
5) FoG2 pursuit scripts: infantry who are neither Warriors nor Raw will not pursue. Keil never pursuits;
6) FoG2 option which does not take base AP for Fragmented unit below 6 AP unless base AP is less than 6.
7) Heavy Weapon is not cancelled vs non-steady foot who have pikes (also in Keil), spearmen or bayonet capability during the melee phase - 50%

lascar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by lascar »

Sign me up for one of the Catholic slots, thanks.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

In reaction to Snuggles, I am rather hesitant about some of the proposed changes in the mod. In particular, melees should be left to the end of the turn and be decided by the programme. This takes some control out of players' hands I realise but I think that is a good thing - it also makes the game less subject to manipulation (not that I think Snuggles would use it like that, to be clear).

I wonder what the rationale is in relation to Keils not pursuing? Does it not make them even more powerful? If so, their points costs should increase. Ditto other infantry.

Why would cavalry not get a 100 POA bonus against mobs?

I agree that some of the other changes make complete sense.

On balance, I don't mind what others do but for myself I prefer to stay with the original game, which has charm and, yes, a few faults but we can live with them.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

ahuyton wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:34 pm In reaction to Snuggles, I am rather hesitant about some of the proposed changes in the mod. In particular, melees should be left to the end of the turn and be decided by the programme. This takes some control out of players' hands I realise but I think that is a good thing - it also makes the game less subject to manipulation (not that I think Snuggles would use it like that, to be clear).

I wonder what the rationale is in relation to Keils not pursuing? Does it not make them even more powerful? If so, their points costs should increase. Ditto other infantry.

Why would cavalry not get a 100 POA bonus against mobs?

I agree that some of the other changes make complete sense.

On balance, I don't mind what others do but for myself I prefer to stay with the original game, which has charm and, yes, a few faults but we can live with them.
No biggie if you prefer that I use vanilla. Lessened pursuits are to make the field less scattered. I agree about manual melees but that was Cronos' preference and he's the one that was actually coding stuff. RE Mobs, it's the vanilla game in which cav doesn't get the 100, the mod fixes that bug.

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Gwain of Goodly Manor is sharpening his pike as we speak in defense of the righteous and true Catholic faith.
Let all heretics be put on notice that conversion at the point of a sword is their only option...or conversely a beer down at the local tavern and an amicable card game of French Ruff, Ruff and honours, Pope Julius, or if you prefer, Laugh and Lie Down

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”