Brave New World (total conversion) -v3.2 + No Counters

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Brave New World (total conversion) -v2.2

Post by StuccoFresco »

Uuuuh there is a problem with Motorized and Mechanized units: since their chassis is classified as "wheel" and "halftrack", the game treats their models as vehicles and they look ENORMOUS on the map. They would need to be reclassified as "foot" chassis, which would change a lot of their movement capabilities, which could then be rebalanced by cutting down their overall mp.

Yep, changing them to "foot" chassis solves the graphic issue.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

StuccoFresco wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:34 am I'd say IF you are really going to give the mod a try, I could release such a version. Shouldnt' take long unless I run into some unexpected problems.
My guess would be, that there are many more like me, being used to the "looks" of the base game - who then are put off by the strange appearance with the 3D-counters...

I can speak only for myself, of course, but I'm pretty sure your mod would be more "successful" in the OoB community if you would keep the original unit models. :!:

Honestly, at first I was expecting this mod to be something similar to my own. I mean a mod that basically just "transforms" the unit models to counter models. I did not expect a whole new campaign to come with it.

Personally, I don't need a counter's mod, but I really would like to play some "what-if" scens and such. Usually only historical stuff can be found here in the scen design forum. How I would love to invade the US with the Axis factions... :lol:
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

GabeKnight wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:54 pm
StuccoFresco wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:34 am I'd say IF you are really going to give the mod a try, I could release such a version. Shouldnt' take long unless I run into some unexpected problems.
My guess would be, that there are many more like me, being used to the "looks" of the base game - who then are put off by the strange appearance with the 3D-counters...

I can speak only for myself, of course, but I'm pretty sure your mod would be more "successful" in the OoB community if you would keep the original unit models. :!:

Honestly, at first I was expecting this mod to be something similar to my own. I mean a mod that basically just "transforms" the unit models to counter models. I did not expect a whole new campaign to come with it.

Personally, I don't need a counter's mod, but I really would like to play some "what-if" scens and such. Usually only historical stuff can be found here in the scen design forum. How I would love to invade the US with the Axis factions... :lol:
Two campaigns! But they are not "what if" of the real history, but rather a completely made-up world.

Well since it's fairly easy to "convert" units back to original graphics, I suppose I can just do it. The issue with motorized/mechanized infantry being converted back to foot chassis isn't too bad, shouldn't mess with campaign balance.
stevefprice
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by stevefprice »

GabeKnight wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:54 pm How I would love to invade the US with the Axis factions... :lol:
The Man in The High Castle :)
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

stevefprice wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:48 pm
GabeKnight wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:54 pm How I would love to invade the US with the Axis factions... :lol:
:lol: Honestly, I began to watch the show (there's probably some book(s), too) because of the interesting title only... :lol:

Really liked the setting and the premise of the production, but it lacked something - maybe depth...
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Anyhow....if you decide to convert your campaigns/mod to a "non-counter-state", I'd gladly try it... :)
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

GabeKnight wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:31 pm Anyhow....if you decide to convert your campaigns/mod to a "non-counter-state", I'd gladly try it... :)
I'm working on it, I'll probably release it today or tomorrow. :D
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

GabeKnight wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:31 pm Anyhow....if you decide to convert your campaigns/mod to a "non-counter-state", I'd gladly try it... :)
Done it!

Version 2.2 NC is out!

Stand-alone release, it only reverts units' on map graphics with vanilla icons. No more counters! Motorized and Mechanized units now have "foot" chassis because of game engine limitations; to make up for their newfound ability to move through some terrain (dense forests and mountains), I've slightly reduced their movement points.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

StuccoFresco wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:41 pm Done it!
Nice, thanks!

BTW, your "game manual" is a great idea and well made. Kudos! :shock: :)
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

GabeKnight wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:02 am Nice, thanks!

BTW, your "game manual" is a great idea and well made. Kudos! :shock: :)
Thanks; since it's a total conversion I felt an in-depth explanation of its inner workings was needed to not have people rightly put off by the changes. Also, since it's a fantasy world, I needed to give at least a modicum of explanation of the setting so players wouldn't be "why is the United Kingdom fighting Yugoslavia???". Worldbuilding is, to me, just as fun as playing.

I always liked well-made game manuals since the time they actually printed those. It's my first time actually releasing a mod with a manual, so feedback on it is appreciated as well. :mrgreen:
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

I've tried to play a few turns, but there seems to be something wrong with the units. The game's engine kind of breaks down and I have to restart the game.

I suspect it's the attack animation of the concrete bunkers and maybe the airstrip. I'll try to remove the effect sequence from the units file and play again.

EDIT: Yeah, replacing the weapon effect back to vanilla fixed the forts. (I remember now that trying to mod the bunkers' animation did not work). The airstrip is still an issue when attacking even without any effect sequence. Not sure why.

Also not sure if it may be an issue or not, but the Brit. "ironside" units are classified as attack type "artillery" with no range. It's supposed to be a combined unit, I know, but gameplay-wise it may prove to do much less damage on weak enemy units (like arty does). I don't know; will observe.
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

Aah shit I didn't think I had also changed those values, I'll fix the Airfields and Bunkers.

Does artillery inflicts less damage on low health units, you say? I didn't notice. I had successfully used them against all kind of targets with great effect, they are true line-breakers. Not the best match-up with enemy armor, but anything else is fair game.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

StuccoFresco wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:38 pm Does artillery inflicts less damage on low health units, you say? I didn't notice. I had successfully used them against all kind of targets with great effect, they are true line-breakers. Not the best match-up with enemy armor, but anything else is fair game.
You gave them inf_attack values of over 20! Any mechanical unit in the stock OoB game could kill infantry units with one attack if they had about 4-5 HP left with those values. Can yours?

I'm just saying. I guess you balanced your campaigns using those units, so it's best to keep them that way, probably.

Also, my first impression of the (first turns of the) first scen is that it's quite overwhelming, to be honest. It seems my best defense is to do nothing during my turn. I don't even dared to move my high-entrenched units!
I'm not sure I like this kind of scens. I don't mind being on the defensive, but this looked like too much.
(And your own AAR seems to support my opinion... or am I supposed to lose the first scen?)
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

GabeKnight wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:52 pm You gave them inf_attack values of over 20! Any mechanical unit in the stock OoB game could kill infantry units with one attack if they had about 4-5 HP left with those values. Can yours?

I'm just saying. I guess you balanced your campaigns using those units, so it's best to keep them that way, probably.

Also, my first impression of the (first turns of the) first scen is that it's quite overwhelming, to be honest. It seems my best defense is to do nothing during my turn. I don't even dared to move my high-entrenched units!
I'm not sure I like this kind of scens. I don't mind being on the defensive, but this looked like too much.
(And your own AAR seems to support my opinion... or am I supposed to lose the first scen?)
Oh yes it's intended: those are absolute linebreakers, the only units that can reliable break through entrenched infantry with AT regiments behind them, or enemy Strongpoints, without suffering too many losses and eventually without dedicated artillery support (they are considered having plenty on their own). Tank Regiments can also break through, but they would suffer more losses. The drawbacks of Assault Brigades are the relatively low speed and vulnerability against enemy armored units.

Sounds like you are fighting the first scenario ofthe 1940 campaign and yeah, the scenario features an overwhelming enemy force attacking an unprepared first line of defense. Given the enemy superiority you have to choose where to resist to buy time and where to retreat: if you retreat, you'll be at least out of the enemy artillery range for a while, and you could make the enemy overextend.

Armored reinforcements are on the way, but you'll have to survive until then*. The first battle is one of the hardest in the entire campaign, you'll need to maneuver a lot!

SPOILERS AHEAD:

*Reinforcements arrive turn 5, at some point an event will fire telling you that victory is impossible, but if you manage to satisfy the secondary objectives you'll complete the mission.
stevefprice

Post by stevefprice »

GabeKnight wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:23 am
stevefprice wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:48 pm
:lol: Honestly, I began to watch the show (there's probably some book(s), too) because of the interesting title only... :lol:
Philip K Dick. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_i ... igh_Castle

Also wrote the stories of Bladerunner and Total Recall although they had different titles unlike The Man in the High Castle.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

stevefprice wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:02 pm Also wrote the stories of Bladerunner and Total Recall although they had different titles unlike The Man in the High Castle.
Thanks, didn't know that.
Besides my quite low opinion on "The Man..." the other two titles were impressive and I enjoyed the stories very much.
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

I proudly announce that I'm now able to add crude masks to the map to show how the front progresses after each scenario, and that they will be added for all the present campaigns and the new 1943-44 one in the next release. :D
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

Version 3.0 is out! New faction, new campaign, map masks for new and old campaigns, tweaks to naval units.
jeffoot77
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Brave New World (total conversion) -v3.0

Post by jeffoot77 »

thxs for the update!
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
StuccoFresco

Re: Brave New World (total conversion) -v3.0

Post by StuccoFresco »

jeffoot77 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:19 pm thxs for the update!
ANY form of feedback is greatly appreciated. :D

A "counter-less" version is on the works.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”