Anything to do with the War of the Roses text campaign . . .

Moderator: rbodleyscott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Anything to do with the War of the Roses text campaign . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

I have set up this thread so we can put any news, queries, whatever in here all in one place. You can advertise for an opponent too - whatever you like really.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Anything to do with the War of the Roses text campaign . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

All scenarios now available in-game (Community Downloads button) . . .

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 23#p977623
TomoeGozen
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by TomoeGozen »

Campaign under way , myself playing Lancastrians and Doyley50 the Yorkists.
Already tough decisions to make during the 1st St Albans battle...Do I commit Edmund Beaufort to combat..? We all know what could happen there!. :lol:
Enjoying it already Pete, thanks.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

TomoeGozen wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:42 pm Campaign under way , myself playing Lancastrians and Doyley50 the Yorkists.
Already tough decisions to make during the 1st St Albans battle...Do I commit Edmund Beaufort to combat..? We all know what could happen there!. :lol:
Enjoying it already Pete, thanks.

OK, that's great. Keep everyone posted on how the campaign develops. :D
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

History has repeated itself at St Albans. The Lancastrians fought bravely to save the rightful king from the hands of the Yorkists but were overwhelmed at the barricades. This time Edmund Beaufort escaped to fight another day. Perhaps there will be less tit-for-tat executions this time around? The fate of the king is currently in the balance...
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

TomoeGozen wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:14 pm History has repeated itself at St Albans. The Lancastrians fought bravely to save the rightful king from the hands of the Yorkists but were overwhelmed at the barricades. This time Edmund Beaufort escaped to fight another day. Perhaps there will be less tit-for-tat executions this time around? The fate of the king is currently in the balance...
OK, first blood to the Yorkists. If you look at the Episode 1 text you will see "There are no pursuits, executions or ransoms after this battle." So Henry VI remains the monarch for now, but the Yorkists are very powerful at his court. If both commanders survived then that should be scored 5-0 to the Yorkists. :wink:
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the info, I hadn't realised that Henry would still count as monarch ( although of course with his ears now full of false whispers...).
No nobles killed so 5-0 it is ☺
Trouble now seems to be brewing near Blore Heath...
Cheers,
Dave.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I just want to highlight the "Pursuit" rules in the campaign as they were quite a late addition . . .

ii) Pursuit, capture, ransom and execution of historical personalities

If you win a battle then none of your surviving leader figures can be captured.

If you lose the battle then your surviving leader figures will be captured in the pursuit phase if the enemy has at least 2 mounted cavalry, or light cavalry units (“prickers”) still active on the battlefield and with “Steady” status (i.e. not “Disrupted”, “Fragmented” or “Routed”) - and provided the winning side has lost less than 30% of its total strength on the final battlefield screen (not the after-battle summary screen).

Historical figures captured in this way can be either ransomed or executed. Commanders who are ransomed back are worth 2 victory points each; royals who are ransomed back are worth 4 victory points each.

So, the two light cavalry units you are given at the start of each battle can be very important (note: in some battles you will have currour units as well to use for pursuit). The "prickers" were actually scouts (sometimes called "fore-prickers"), but I felt that I could use them in the scenarios as both light cavalry and pursuers. So players have to decide whether to hold them back and be certain that they will be available for pursuit, or risk them in combat to a greater or lesser extent, and hope they remain "steady" and still available at the end of a winning battle for the pursuit. Notice that if the winning side has losses of 30% or more then there will be no pursuit as their soldiers are deemed to be exhausted.

I would be very interested to hear feedback on this element of the campaign. :wink:
Last edited by stockwellpete on Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

There was an error in the Blore Heath 1459 scenario (a corrupted Squads file) so v2 is now available from the Community Download area. We have 2 matches under way now - TomoeGozen v Doyley50 and Snugglebunnies v Gribol.
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

The waters of Wemberton Brook run red with Yorkist blood.
The house of Lancaster has proved voctorious at Blore Heath(5 points to Lancaster). The initial cavalry assault proved fruitless although the opening seconds of the battle saw the death of the Earl of Salisbury(1 point to Lancaster).The horse were quickly withdrawn to allow the infantry to do the job. It was a bloody slog all along the line with Richard , Duke of York surrounded on all sides but fighting bravely to the very end (despite being fragmented) . When the rout began he finally fled but was soon captured by the many Lancastrian horse.
Having promised to retire to a monastery in Ireland the Duke of York was exchanged for a healthy ransom(4 points).
We are happy to anounce that Lancastrian losses were light with no gentlemen of note suffering grievous harm.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

TomoeGozen wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:34 am The waters of Wemberton Brook run red with Yorkist blood.
The house of Lancaster has proved voctorious at Blore Heath(5 points to Lancaster). The initial cavalry assault proved fruitless although the opening seconds of the battle saw the death of the Earl of Salisbury(1 point to Lancaster).The horse were quickly withdrawn to allow the infantry to do the job. It was a bloody slog all along the line with Richard , Duke of York surrounded on all sides but fighting bravely to the very end (despite being fragmented) . When the rout began he finally fled but was soon captured by the many Lancastrian horse.
Having promised to retire to a monastery in Ireland the Duke of York was exchanged for a healthy ransom(4 points).
We are happy to anounce that Lancastrian losses were light with no gentlemen of note suffering grievous harm.
Excellent! It is a tough scenario for the Lancastrians, particularly if their cavalry cannot break through on the flank. So you got 10 points from the episode - a really good points haul, but will you regret letting Richard, Duke of York escape? Only time will tell. He will be seething now. On to Episode 5 at Northampton. :D

Btw - did you decide to use the optional advanced rule for controlling the Crown? If you did, then the Lancastrians get a further +2 points for 1459 . . .

Advanced rule: victory points of +2 for each year a faction controls the Crown outright can be won for the following years (provided that there has been a battle in that year): 1459, 1460, 1461, 1464 and 1465: 1471; 1483, 1485 and 1487.

Note: points are not awarded for years when succession events occur.
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

Hi Pete,
I had forgotten about that rule. We haven't discussed it so probably we'll ignore it for now. :-)
My cavalry could not make any progress on the right and were getting a damned good beating so I pulled them all back and sent some of them to the left where they were able to find some gaps. The rest just lurked in the background looking menacing and keeping the Yorkist left honest.
As for Richard of York , he's promised to behave... surely he won't renege on his word...? :-)
cheers,
Dave.
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

The battle of Northampton has reached it's bloody conclusion with the Yorkists able to break the end of the Lancastrian right battle and roll up the line. No gentlemen of note lost their lives in the battle although Henry Percy mysteriously went missing during the battle (his unit was surrounded and destroyed but he was not a casualty). After the battle the Yorkist cavalry were able to find him and capture the two other Lancastrian commanders as they tried to swim the Nene! A pretty penny was paid in ransom to the Yorkists for their safe return!
Pete ,a question..
My CinC was Edmund Beaufort. Is the one listed as a commander the same as the one in the list of Lancastrian royals? (Wondering if he is worth 2 or 4 points to the Yorkists in ransom)
cheers,
Dave.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

TomoeGozen wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:43 pm
Pete ,a question..
My CinC was Edmund Beaufort. Is the one listed as a commander the same as the one in the list of Lancastrian royals? (Wondering if he is worth 2 or 4 points to the Yorkists in ransom)
cheers,
Dave.
No, they are different people. The commander Edmund was the father of the royal claimant Edmund. 2 points for the ransom. :wink:
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

Thanks Pete. :D
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

History has repeated itself at the battle of Wakefield. :-)
A convincing win for the house of Lancaster with Richard Duke of York losing his mind and leaving the safety of Sandal Castle again :-) (5 points to Lancaster)
After the battle both Richard of York and Lord Fauconberg donated their heads to decorate the gates of York.(-2 points to Lancaster , but worth it! :lol: )
Lord Clifford sacrificed his life for Lancaster during the battle :-( (1 point to York)
I believe the current scores are York : 17 , Lancaster : 13 with York down one in their line of succession.
Next up , Mortimer's Cross.
Loving it so far Pete :-)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

TomoeGozen wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:42 pm History has repeated itself at the battle of Wakefield. :-)
A convincing win for the house of Lancaster with Richard Duke of York losing his mind and leaving the safety of Sandal Castle again :-) (5 points to Lancaster)
After the battle both Richard of York and Lord Fauconberg donated their heads to decorate the gates of York.(-2 points to Lancaster , but worth it! :lol: )
Lord Clifford sacrificed his life for Lancaster during the battle :-( (1 point to York)
I believe the current scores are York : 17 , Lancaster : 13 with York down one in their line of succession.
Next up , Mortimer's Cross.
Loving it so far Pete :-)
Excellent. I was thinking it was about time that the heads started coming off! :lol: Sounds like a good match between you.
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

Hi Pete,
In the description for Mortimer's Cross it says to pick 2 commanders each but the actual game has 3 commands each side. Does that mean we just treat general 3 as a 'nobody' , or is the description incorrect?
cheers,
Dave.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

TomoeGozen wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:10 am Hi Pete,
In the description for Mortimer's Cross it says to pick 2 commanders each but the actual game has 3 commands each side. Does that mean we just treat general 3 as a 'nobody' , or is the description incorrect?
cheers,
Dave.
The description is incorrect. Please pick 3 commanders each. I will update the master copy of the text campaign. Thanks. :wink:
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

Mortimer's Cross has turned out to be a bit of a set back for the Lancastrian cause...
The battle turned in to a straight up slog-athon all along the line until the Yorkists broke through in a couple of places. The resulting flanks and rears precipitated a Lancastrian rout although enough damage had been done to the Yorkists to dissuade them from any pursuit. Humphrey Stafford was tragically cut down during the battle. :-(

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval - Scenario Design”