Favorite WW2 Books

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

RangerJoe
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Favorite WW2 Books

Post by RangerJoe »

For a just a little bit :wink: of humor, this is a good one. But he was not joking when he wrote about the Berlin Blockade ending but I think that he said it the best way possible.

Don't Shoot It's Only Me
by Bob Hope

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/dont-shoo ... on/503160/
codman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by codman »

Not actually a memoir but Richard Overly has one named "Blood and Ruins: The Last Imperial War". Read it a couple of months ago and thought it was an interesting read about the war from many perspectives. Like most books I can't say that I agree completely but still some food for thought.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by captainjack »

Not quite WW2, but
European Journey by Philip Gibbs
"Being the narrative of a journey in France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Germany and the Saar in the Spring and Summer of 1934with an authentic record of the ideas, hopes and fears moving in the minds of common folk and expressed in wayside conversations"
Just what it says on the label, a very easy and interesting read.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

captainjack wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:39 am Not quite WW2, but
European Journey by Philip Gibbs
"Being the narrative of a journey in France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Germany and the Saar in the Spring and Summer of 1934with an authentic record of the ideas, hopes and fears moving in the minds of common folk and expressed in wayside conversations"
Just what it says on the label, a very easy and interesting read.
This looks very interesting. So many books. So glad for the many suggestions...I have saved quite a few of them and will pass them on to my family for B'day presents or Christmas gifts. That is not until November so in the meantime I am reading Nazi Doctors. It is a book I started decades ago, but failed to finish, now I will finish. Brutal and systematic and unfortunately very apropos for today's follow the science crowd.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PanzerTum
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by PanzerTum »

Well, although highly satirized and made ' funny' the war books from Spike Milligan still have a true ring to it, a story from the ranks.
Spike was a radio operator / cable guy in the British artillery and served in Africa and Italy where he suffered a mental breakdown. The titles give some idea of his style of humour.
-Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall
-"Rommel?" "Gunner Who?"
-Monty: His Part in My Victory
-Mussolini: His Part in My Downfall
The series continues after this but he did no active service anymore because of his breakdown.

Theodor Plievier wrote two books Moscow & Stalingrad, quite hefty books.
I read part of Stalingrad and it was pretty gruesome so at a certain point I stopped so cannot really tell if they are great.
They are novels, so not true stories. He was an anti-war political activist, I guess you should not expect a good time when reading these books.
PanzerTum

Post by PanzerTum »

Heinrich Gerlach - Forsaken army / breakout at Stalingrad.

I haven't read them myself yet.

"Heinrich Gerlach (18 August 1908 - 27 March 1991) was a German soldier of the 14th Panzer Division in the Second World War and later a Latin and German teacher. His semi-autobiographical novel of the Battle of Stalingrad, The Forsaken Army, re-written with the help of hypnosis after it was seized by the Soviets, was published in Germany in 1957. In 2012, Carsten Gansel discovered the original manuscript in the State Russian Military Archive. It was published in Germany in 2016 and in an English translation in 2017 as Breakout at Stalingrad.

By the way, who is the author of the Soldat book?
faos333
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by faos333 »

If you mean the Forgotten Soldier, if yes is Guy Sajer
Battlefield Europe get the most from Panzer Corps 8)
Download the new 2.3 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
PanzerTum

Post by PanzerTum »

Another one, Between Silk and Cyanide from Leo Marks.

Leo Marks (son of the famous bookstore Marks & co) joined the SOE, special operations executive, as a civilian with the rank of officer responsible for the security of agents code.
As such he was responsible for briefing of resistance fighters / secret agents all over Europe.

The book is very well written in and reads like a dream.
It was only published in the 90ies I think because much of it was still classified until then.

You can always wonder how someone's memory is still so perfect after 50 years and if everything is as objective as can be but it is still a very good book with hardly a dull page in the 600 or so.

And you will be able to spruce up your cryptography a bit as well...
PanzerTum

Post by PanzerTum »

faos333 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:02 pm If you mean the Forgotten Soldier, if yes is Guy Sajer
That one I am reading now, but I think Goose also mentioned a book called Soldat. I am not entirely sure if this is the same book.

Return to “Panzer Corps”