prestige points drainage during campaign

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Herr_Armin
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

prestige points drainage during campaign

Post by Herr_Armin »

I reached the second battle in North Africa with 300 prestige points which has left me with an impossible situation during deployment . Earlier i averaged over 2000 points when starting a new battle . Was the drain caused by exessive spending in the previous battle ? If not how to remedy this situation since its really impossible to get beyond turn 3 .
rubyjuno
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: prestige points drainage during campaign

Post by rubyjuno »

Buying replacements, especially elite replacements, during a battle/scenario is more expensive than doing it between scenarios. If you select a below-strength unit and hover the mouse pointer over the replacements icon, it will tell you the cost. I only buy replacements during a scenario if absolutely necessary. Should an important unit with a lot of experience be dangerously low on strength, I retreat it to safety and wait unit between scenarios to buy replacements. It's a delicate balance between keeping the experience your units have gained and having enough prestige for replacements/purchases. You are probably aware of this but you can gain more prestige by forcing surrenders rather than destroying units and also by capturing non-objective towns. When attacking, it's important to minimise losses by attacking with artillery/bombers (but watch out for AA) to soften targets up before melee fighting and also using the right units in the right circumstances, for example, don't attack infantry in cities with tanks. This is why you need to build a large and diverse core, and build up their experience (and gain heroes) as you go. Apologies if you know all this already, just trying to help. There are many hints and tips on all this throughout the forum by better and more experienced players than myself, plus helpful videos on YouTube.
Herr_Armin

Post by Herr_Armin »

so it was mismanagement of resources . I did not know about taking non core objective prestige points bonus . what is the use of heroes in units ? i have 4 of them some got killed along the way .
Locarnus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Locarnus »

Herr_Armin wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:06 pm so it was mismanagement of resources . I did not know about taking non core objective prestige points bonus . what is the use of heroes in units ? i have 4 of them some got killed along the way .
Unfortunately PzC is set up so that unit losses are incredibly expensive and can ruin a campaign early on.

Standard reinforcements are free between scenarios, but cost 25% of the new unit cost when done within a scenario.
So eg reinforcing a 200 prestige unit from 9 to 10 strength within a scenario costs 200*0.25*(1/10) = 5 prestige
Reinforcing that same 200 prestige unit from 5 back to 10 strength within a scenario costs 200*0.25*(5/10) = 25 prestige
So if you reinforce this unit twice, for a total of 10 strength points during a battle, that costs 50 prestige (standard reinforcements).
Reinforcing 10 strength points between scenarios costs 0 prestige.
Losing and then rebuying that unit costs 200 prestige!

Thus not losing units is absolutely vital due to those game mechanics.
I strongly recommend changing the settings and enabling "reform units". Thus if a unit is "destroyed", it will respawn after the battle, keeping the kills and heroes (just losing all the experience).
longer, alternative "PG" like Campaign new version 0.34 from 2011.08.02 (another bugfix & now in zip format)
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

Herr_Armin wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:06 pm so it was mismanagement of resources . I did not know about taking non core objective prestige points bonus . what is the use of heroes in units ? i have 4 of them some got killed along the way .
Taking non-objective cities gives some prestige, but it's only worth doing if minimal or no losses are sustained doing it. Unit management is also important; particularly experienced units and those with heroes. Pull units back before they are completely eliminated, and don't let units wander off on their own. Prestige management is key to success, as Locarnus says above. heroes are also important. Heroes increase unit statistics; for instance, an artillery piece might get a hero that gives increased movement or range, both of which are very handy. Most common are increased attack, defence, initiative or spotting, which are of variable use depending on the unit. There are several threads in the forum discussing heroes and their usefulness in more detail. The community here is very helpful, although not as busy as it once was due to the age of the game. However, if you have questions, they is usually someone about to answer. Panzer Corps is a great game, but best enjoyed with some knowledge of the game mechanics.
PanzerTum
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by PanzerTum »

I agree with reading the forum, there's a wealth of information there. Just pick the subjects that interest you.
I started at the current posts and am now somewhere in 2015..

If you have problems with a specific scenario you can also search the forum for that ssenario for extra tips.
And don't be afraid to restart the DLC if you are at a dead end to replay the scenarios with your newfound knowledge
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

PanzerTum wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:05 am I agree with reading the forum, there's a wealth of information there. Just pick the subjects that interest you.
I started at the current posts and am now somewhere in 2015..
That's funny - when I first got into Panzer Corps, I started at the first post and read up to the present (not all in one day!)
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Forcing enemy units to surrender gives lots of prestige, goose shows this all the time in his videos on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQSh ... yLQ/videos
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Herr_Armin

Post by Herr_Armin »

if you reach a campaign battle and you've got enough money 5500 to fill half the slots and during the battle the enemy is coming at you with 2 and 3 star units and much larger numbers while you have only fresh units , does that mean you need to go back a couple of scenarios and make sure the experienced units dont get wiped out ?
turn4441
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by turn4441 »

If you can't fill your slots and are going against experienced units, I'd say you need to start again. Panzer Corps (and the others DLCs) is/are enjoyable because they are very easy to learn to play quickly without a 100+-page rule book, but also because it has a depth that can make it difficult. However, that being said, once you get the hang of it, it really amounts to a rock/paper/scissors game with some other rules thrown in.

If you are losing that many units, you need to work on your strategy. Also, the AI will ruthlessly go after the weakest unit it can find, whether it be low experience or just a weak unit (and it loves to kill recon units, as you should do to theirs) so if you are fielding green units against 2-3 star units, you will suffer. You may also find it easier on a tougher difficulty as the AI is more aggressive and will leave it's 8-entrenched position in a city to attack a weak unit it can see (with 3 artillery backups it can't see) whereas, on Colonel difficulty, it would just stay put in the city and you'd have to take several turns to dig it out. Some quick help pointers:
1. Read the forums (as mentioned above there is a trove of great info on virtually every topic). I re-started a couple of times when first learning (many years ago, even before Goose!) after reading the info available and realizing how dumb my strategy was.
2. Watch videos on youtube, e.g. Braccada, Goose2, and others (also mentioned above) and especially learn the sequence of attacks to preserve unit strength, avoid exposure to harm, and get surrenders to help your prestige level. Avoid in scenario reinforcements (especially elites). You won't need to watch many as it isn't rocket science, just sort of an Aha! thing.
3. Take your time (my biggest fault as I came from the original PG which wanted things accomplished quickly). If the scenario gives you 20 turns, use them. You get no benefit from being done more quickly, unless you save some units from harm. Most are balanced quite well and take roughly the allocated amount of time. So, if you get to turn 8 and are feeling good about things, expect another large attack against your weakened, and usually, ammo depleted units (and the same when you're feeling good around turn 15-16 and think things are over. Keep track of the number of units you killed in each scenario. If you haven't killed more than in the previous one, expect more. It isn't always true, but is more often than not. Also, if you are given a per turn amount of prestige, make sure you finish the scenario on the last turn to maximize prestige earned. It may seem gamey, but you can consider it that you, as a commander, efficiently used your troops, and so, had ample supplies for the next mission.
4. Keep your units consolidated and protected. The AI has an in credible knack for finding your not so strong units (even ones they shouldn't see) and swooping in to wipe them out. Especially on the eastern front.
5. Remember, unit experience is top priority. Build it up as quickly as possible and don't let them get destroyed or lower their experience with regular replacements unless absolutely necessary or if they have little experience at that point, and if you need to bring in green troops, protect them and give them easy assignments to build experience. However, for the campaigns, recruit green units and build their experience early.
Herr_Armin

Post by Herr_Armin »

hello
replaying my campaign i noticed that after a certain number of missions i cannot replace , i can upgrade ,i have not done anything to game settings . I am sure that in previous plays i could replace as long as i had prestige points to my credit . can someone pls explain .
faos333
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by faos333 »

Herr_Armin wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:28 pm hello
replaying my campaign i noticed that after a certain number of missions i cannot replace , i can upgrade ,i have not done anything to game settings . I am sure that in previous plays i could replace as long as i had prestige points to my credit . can someone pls explain .
Can you give us more details? Like which campaign you are playing, in which map the problem appeared?
Battlefield Europe get the most from Panzer Corps 8)
Download the new 2.4 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985

Return to “Panzer Corps”