DAW - Der andere Weg - The other way

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: DAW - Der andere Weg - The other way

Post by rubyjuno »

Thanks for posting, Sonja89_1, I always enjoy your images and descriptions.
Sonja89_1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

rubyjuno wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:15 am Thanks for posting, Sonja89_1, I always enjoy your images and descriptions.
Ultimately, such representations are always dependent on the viewer's fantasy. The more pronounced the imagination, the better the experience.

I will present a few more such examples here in the coming months to give as comprehensive an impression of DAW as possible. After all, the story around these campaigns is purely fictional.
eskuche
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by eskuche »

Sonja89_1 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:44 pm Ultimately, such representations are always dependent on the viewer's fantasy. The more pronounced the imagination, the better the experience.

I will present a few more such examples here in the coming months to give as comprehensive an impression of DAW as possible. After all, the story around these campaigns is purely fictional.
Excellent campaign thus far (map 4). I played the Allied campaign for a similar amount (4-5 maps), but it seemed a bit too easy, given you can evacuate and sell Allied units, and the Axis attacks are quite lackluster.
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

eskuche wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:05 am Excellent campaign thus far (map 4). I played the Allied campaign for a similar amount (4-5 maps), but it seemed a bit too easy, given you can evacuate and sell Allied units, and the Axis attacks are quite lackluster.
The Allied Campaign is based on many of the basic missions of the original campaign, but here the player takes on the Allied side. Therefore, especially in the early missions, the AI has the offensive role, which it generally has a little more difficulty with. I think that the original scenarios of the basic campaign are well put together. However, the difficulty level is not so pronounced to make it possible for inexperienced players to get into the game. Nevertheless, the Allied Campaign is also appealing. Just because of the different choices of units between 4 nations (France, UK, USSR, USA), which can be used on all later missions, so French units in Russia or Soviet tanks in North Africa. You don't have to sell all the evacuated aux units right away either. You can also go into action with Polish or Dutch planes until 1945. That can be more fun than always operating with the strongest troops. Of course, you can also play it strictly historically and instead increase the difficulty to make it more challenging.

In general, my campaigns are more for long-distance players than sprinters. You need endurance to do them well and enjoy them.

But there is more than one way to the goal. I am sure that you, as an experienced player, will find the right variant for you. Continue to have much success and joy with it.
eskuche

Post by eskuche »

Sonja89_1 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:56 pm In general, my campaigns are more for long-distance players than sprinters. You need endurance to do them well and enjoy them.

But there is more than one way to the goal. I am sure that you, as an experienced player, will find the right variant for you. Continue to have much success and joy with it.
I am 3 missions into the '39 campaign and greatly enjoy the map designs so far even now! I find it very silly that the original campaign and most mods do not give heroes to enemies, as this seemed an obvious thing to do for me so long.

If you ever do intend to update, the SE units do not get the Maultier Geb transport, which makes some certain alpine maps a bit difficult :)
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

eskuche wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:04 am I am 3 missions into the '39 campaign and greatly enjoy the map designs so far even now! I find it very silly that the original campaign and most mods do not give heroes to enemies, as this seemed an obvious thing to do for me so long.

If you ever do intend to update, the SE units do not get the Maultier Geb transport, which makes some certain alpine maps a bit difficult :)
An update will not be an issue for DAW for a long time. When I play through it again myself, a number of slight changes could be used by me. I have made a note of your advice. Otherwise, one should not tinker with a properly functioning mechanism if at all possible.

As far as the heroes for the other side are concerned, we are both of the same opinion, which is why I have also added heroes for the AI in almost all missions (also in D2R). In most cases, they are also hero units that can really hurt. Especially in the last campaign (DAW 44-46) there are figures that can hit even strong own units hard - so watch out. In view of the very strong own troops, especially at the end, a counterbalance is also necessary, otherwise it would become too one-sided.

If I see it correctly, you are currently in the "Koblenz" scenario. That is a rather tricky mission. I have set it up as a kind of mirror image of the German attack on France in 1940 in the original history, with the attempt to form a cauldron. Where here the attacker (France) may end up in an encirclement. Historically, however, this could also have happened to the Wehrmacht in 1940 if the Allies had operated better.

I hope you continue to have fun - Greetings Sonja.
bondjamesbond
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by bondjamesbond »

Hello! And will new equipment be added ) As they say , if the story is alternative , then why can 't prototypes fight there ?
https://masterok.livejournal.com/802277.html
https://royallib.com/read/shpakovskiy_v ... tml#143360
https://de.topwar.ru/10841-tanki.-unika ... epota.html

Special weapons of the Second World War
SERIES:
SECRETS OF THE THIRD REICH
The book describes for the first time the combat systems used in 1939-1945, intended for carrying out special tasks - sabotage and reconnaissance operations, ramming and assault attacks, transportation of special cargo and agents of special services.
The authors give brief information about the history of the development of a unique weapon, give characteristics, as well as information about the operations in which it was used.
https://vk.com/doc41072062_212836282?ha ... mwBIXz24Zs
https://dl.bookscat.org/genesis/726000/ ... t.org).pdf

https://en.topwar.ru/156562-zenitnye-ra ... ursov.html
https://mynickname.com/id73473
eskuche

Post by eskuche »

Sonja89_1 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:56 pm If I see it correctly, you are currently in the "Koblenz" scenario. That is a rather tricky mission. I have set it up as a kind of mirror image of the German attack on France in 1940 in the original history, with the attempt to form a cauldron. Where here the attacker (France) may end up in an encirclement. Historically, however, this could also have happened to the Wehrmacht in 1940 if the Allies had operated better.
Yes, it is going quite well. The core of my strategy is taking as little damage as possible. I have 4 brandenburger infantry, 3 recon with good heroes, and 2 PaK. They are able to hit and run without taking any damage due to camouflage. Even though the commandos are extremely expensive (1900 base), this allows me to clear entrenched positions with hardly any losses. I wanted to see all the missions so manually changed the campaign structure to, for example, go with Army Gruppe A/B and Italy, losing the 6000 prestige at the end of each tree. I disband extra super-units. While I have hit the experience cap for the units I am using as my permanent corps (such as Dame Kreuz with a spotting hero; she does not participate every battle), I am constantly disbanding bad hero SE, fighter, and artillery units, so there is some room for growth thus far.

I will say I don't like surprise attacks, with units appearing magically. Maybe a notification the turn before would help not feel bad getting ambushed by invisible enemies. :)
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

bondjamesbond: Hello! And will new equipment be added ) As they say , if the story is alternative , then why can 't prototypes fight there ?
As I wrote before, I'm not thinking of any changes to DAW in the short and medium term. But I am sure that you could keep me busy for decades with your rich suggestions. It's just that I won't live that long. :)

eskuche wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:51 am
Yes, it is going quite well. The core of my strategy is taking as little damage as possible. I have 4 brandenburger infantry, 3 recon with good heroes, and 2 PaK. They are able to hit and run without taking any damage due to camouflage. Even though the commandos are extremely expensive (1900 base), this allows me to clear entrenched positions with hardly any losses. I wanted to see all the missions so manually changed the campaign structure to, for example, go with Army Gruppe A/B and Italy, losing the 6000 prestige at the end of each tree. I disband extra super-units. While I have hit the experience cap for the units I am using as my permanent corps (such as Dame Kreuz with a spotting hero; she does not participate every battle), I am constantly disbanding bad hero SE, fighter, and artillery units, so there is some room for growth thus far.
I will say I don't like surprise attacks, with units appearing magically. Maybe a notification the turn before would help not feel bad getting ambushed by invisible enemies. :)
Enemy units inserted during the scenario come almost exclusively over the edge of the opposite side and should therefore not be a surprise problem. In the scenario "Koblenz" they appear in a special exception slightly away from the map edge. Another special exception are the "natural influences", which are generally designed as negative surprises. However, such negative surprises are not built in to annoy the player, but are meant to integrate influences such as hunger, cold, heat and resulting diseases into the scenarios. Keep in mind that more soldiers die from disease in wars than from weapons and direct combat impact. And yes, I can understand that in certain situations it is annoying to be surprised at an inopportune moment and suffer losses. But even in Monopoly there are event cards that take money from you. Nevertheless, the positive surprises outnumber the negative ones.

The fact that you have brought 4 Brandenburgers into your core group distorts the game to some extent. It's not by chance that I made these figures so expensive. Originally, I didn't want to make them purchasable at all in order to avoid such distortions. But in the end, each player is free to decide how to put together his troop.

Running through the campaign path in a slightly different way than intended is not a bad idea. If you get the balance right, it can be an interesting variation. There are no limits to your imagination. Go ahead and try out a few things, find your individual ideal line. :)
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

Another series of screens that give an insight into a scenario of the fourth campaign. This is the 8th scenario "Suez" in the Egypt path.

The overview map shows the Suez Canal east of Cairo between the Mediterranean and the Red Sea. The British still hold three bridgeheads. The aim is to reach the entire length of the canal, cross it and form bridgeheads for our part in order to make the canal usable for our own shipping. In addition, French prisoners of war on the Sinai Peninsula are to be freed and brought to safety.

The first picture gives a view of the northern section near Port Said. A separate unit is pushing northwards to capture the port city of Damiette (1). The region is well secured with anti-aircraft guns and forts (2).

Shortly afterwards in the southern section. Here at Suez the own main attack takes place. A group of transport planes is already crossing the Red Sea (1). These paratroopers are to free the French prisoners in a special operation and bring them to the west. There is little time to do this. The main forces advance towards Suez in a massed but orderly fashion (2). Especially at the beginning of the missions, I make sure to keep my own units in an 'all-round anti-aircraft cover' if possible, which can be seen particularly well here (3). Two Ostwind flak tanks and an Italian 9 cm anti-aircraft gun provide optimal protection for almost all ground units. How much good air cover is needed can be seen in the transport planes. Two enemy reconnaissance planes and a fighter have appeared there (4).

7 turns further on, the ground troops in the south have completely reached the canal (1). Meanwhile, the paratroopers have freed the severely depleted prisoners and are taking them westwards under cover (2). But the enemy does not remain idle either. British paratroopers hold on towards the Channel (3). These will not be the last counter-manoeuvres.

The crossing over the canal is also successful in the middle section (1). Support is provided by own ships already navigating the canal (2). From the south, where the Channel was crossed at Suez, comes a decisive flanking thrust that encompasses the last British defenders (3). The resistance collapses.
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

More excellent images and descriptions. Thank you.
eskuche

Post by eskuche »

Finally finished the campaign. The description was not kidding when it said there would be a lot of strong units. Lost a 5-star fighter and AT in the last map, even. The interesting unit variety was quite good in terms of player utility. I'd say the most valuable were Brandenburgers, as mentioned previously, railgun, and camo anti-air. One AA in one turn got upwards of 20 (!) kills. Looking forward to D2R WW1, where I assume you have only refined your formula. I would say the one thing this mod has done that most other mods have not (excepting perhaps Battlefield Europe) is actually induce a sense of strategic allocation of units, rather than just the tactical/puzzle mishmash of the normal game, so kudos to you on that. Interestingly placed airfields, desert expanses, and ocean maps especially made the need for air fuel management (I had 4 portable airfields deployed in some maps!) key.
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

eskuche wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:31 am Finally finished the campaign. The description was not kidding when it said there would be a lot of strong units. Lost a 5-star fighter and AT in the last map, even. The interesting unit variety was quite good in terms of player utility. I'd say the most valuable were Brandenburgers, as mentioned previously, railgun, and camo anti-air. One AA in one turn got upwards of 20 (!) kills. Looking forward to D2R WW1, where I assume you have only refined your formula. I would say the one thing this mod has done that most other mods have not (excepting perhaps Battlefield Europe) is actually induce a sense of strategic allocation of units, rather than just the tactical/puzzle mishmash of the normal game, so kudos to you on that. Interestingly placed airfields, desert expanses, and ocean maps especially made the need for air fuel management (I had 4 portable airfields deployed in some maps!) key.
Your description shows me that you are a skilful and frequent player of Panzer Corps. Perseverance and a lot of skill are necessary to get through all the missions successfully at the end. I hope it wasn't too painful at times and congratulate you on your successful completion.
Continue to enjoy Panzer Corps and thank you for your interesting feedback.
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

Once again a brief insight into a scenario of the fourth campaign. This is the 10th scenario "Eritrea" in the East Africa Path.

The overview map shows our own advance coming from Eastern Sudan in a south-easterly direction along the Red Sea. In the far south you can see Ethiopia, which is independent and thus neutral again here at DAW after the victory over Italy in 1941. At least this saves you the march into the highlands there. The region around Eritrea's capital Asmara is mountainous enough. The area narrows more and more towards the end.

The first picture shows the own advance of German and French units (1) from the British point of view in the first turn. In the East African highlands, the British mountain troops (Gurkhas+Highlanders) are entrenched (2). They are covered by camouflaged snipers, who are still invisible to the German troops (3). This can be a nasty surprise for your own infantry.

The eastern Sudanese metropolis of Kassala is flanked on both sides by our own troops (1). There is already a gap in the British defensive ring due to our massive tank advance (2). Direct tactical air attacks on the enemy flak, which has already been knocked out, have contributed significantly to this (3). From the opposite bank of the Atbara (eastern tributary of the Nile), our own snipers are firing at nearby soft targets (towed Pak+Flak) on the other side of the river (4). In the background, bridge grenadiers are getting ready for a possible crossing.

Coming from the north-west, my main advance (1) meets the massive defence of the British in front of Asmara, which leans favourably against the mountainous region. The terrain suits the defender. From the north, another group of my own approaches across the open coastal terrain (2). The British are still partly stuck in the mountains. There is also an infantry section (3) that can switch to sniper mode. British naval units are still in front of the important harbour town of Massaua (4).

The attacks on Asmara (1) and Massaua (2) are about to break through. The British are still bringing fresh air groups into action (3), but they will hardly be enough to turn the tide again. Own ships and submarines (4) support the attack on the Dahlak archipelago, which is defended by Indian infantry and still free to fight.

To all forum visitors here at Panzer Corps, I wish you a Happy New Year 2023! Continue to enjoy this game in the coming year.
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

Happy New Year to you too Sonja, and thanks again for your fascinating work.
HHT1
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HHT1 »

I wish all a Happy New Year and all the best in the New Year
jeffoot77
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by jeffoot77 »

hello Sonja,

i began the GER 1944-46 campaign and in the first scenario, there are some units at top and botom outside the map , is it normal? or a bug? screen here in white :

thxs for your mod, i just finished the allied Campaign, it was awesome.( i like your mod for his difficulty)

And what are you thinking of the new game "Second front" on ww2 similar to battle academy ? the editor is so powerful !
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

jeffoot77 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:02 pm hello Sonja,

i began the GER 1944-46 campaign and in the first scenario, there are some units at top and botom outside the map , is it normal? or a bug?

thxs for your mod, i just finished the allied Campaign, it was awesome.( i like your mod for his difficulty)

And what are you thinking of the new game "Second front" on ww2 similar to battle academy ? the editor is so powerful !
What I have seen so far about "Second Front" will probably not make me a fan of this game. But there are now so many game variants on the theme of World War II. I'm sure every player will find his or her personal favourite.

As for the additional units at the top and bottom of the screen at the start of the DAW 44-46 campaign, this is indeed intentional. They are placed in this way in order to also hand over strong veteran troops to the player at a restart in the 4th campaign, which would otherwise have been added in campaigns 1-3. Alternatively, such troops are placed directly on the playing field of the first scenario of a campaign. But this should not happen here so as not to turn the scenario progression upside down.
The units at the edges are thus available to the player from the 2nd scenario of the campaign. I wish you continued success and enjoyment of the game.
jeffoot77

Post by jeffoot77 »

thxs for the answer.
Ok if it is intentional ! Except that these units are usable ! and suddenly the scenario becomes very easy ! So It would have been necessary to prevent them from being able to move, right? Or i may restart and ignore them ...
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
Sonja89_1

Post by Sonja89_1 »

jeffoot77 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:00 pm thxs for the answer.
Ok if it is intentional ! Except that these units are usable ! and suddenly the scenario becomes very easy ! So It would have been necessary to prevent them from being able to move, right? Or i may restart and ignore them ...
They can be selected via the "Next unit" function, but not otherwise and are "invisible". Therefore, ignoring them is easier than forcing them onto the playing field unintentionally. If one still wants to exclude this, one could shield the edge as a neutral zone. But what is the point of all this?
If you as a player absolutely want to use all the possibilities of manipulation, you usually do not gain any additional game fun, but rather achieve the opposite. So just leave these additional figures next to the playing field as intended. I am sure that you play well enough to manage it regularly.
I use the function "Next unit" almost never myself. Therefore, the positioning was completely unproblematic for me during the test runs. However, I can understand that for players who use this function more often, these units at the edge may seem misleading in case of a new entry into the 4th campaign. Therefore I will make a note of it. Should I ever make a new version of DAW, I will take this into account. Thank you for your notes.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”