Spanish Civil War Mod & Campaign (v0.90)

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Spanish Civil War Mod & Campaign (v0.90)

Post by bru888 »

LNDavoust wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:36 am Link to the 0.9 version in the OP, gents. It's really late here now, so tomorrow, more details 8)
♪ ¡Ay Carmela! ¡Ay Carmela! ♫

Image1928.jpg
Image1928.jpg (106.9 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

¡Viva el mod y la campaña de la Guerra Civil Española!
- Bru
bondjamesbond
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by bondjamesbond »

LNDavoust wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:36 am Link to the 0.9 version in the OP, gents. It's really late here now, so tomorrow, more details 8)
Excellent !
https://mega.nz/file/OYlSDCLB#MVFI3ZnjH ... FX0oTSO3Ts
Thanks for the updated version )

And why are there no cavalry and armored trains in your mod, because in reality they were !?
https://en.topwar.ru/174355-ljudi-i-tan ... panii.html
https://en.topwar.ru/175125-grazhdanska ... tanki.html

https://www.strategium.ru/forum/topic/3 ... nt-3652486

:mrgreen:
https://translate.yandex.ru/ocr

https://warmaps.ru/category/order-of-battle-ww2/

BERETS, CAPS AND TURBANS: UNIFORMS OF THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR
https://bestlj.ru/290659-Berety-pilotki ... skojj.html

[/code]Image

https://ru.pinterest.com/pin/312859505340612250/

https://levoradikal.ru/archives/11774

P.s.Image
https://mynickname.com/id73473
LNDavoust
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by LNDavoust »

bru888 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:21 am ¡Viva el mod y la campaña de la Guerra Civil Española![/b]
¡Viva! ¡Y viva la madre que te parió, Bru! (a very spanish thing to say :) )

Before I forget, I have included two saves in the mod that allows anyone who desires to jump in the middle of the campaign to do it so. The first one takes you after the inital stages of the war, when you begin to be able to control something more similar to a proper army (just before La Coruña Road Scenario, 7th scene): if the early militias frustrates you to the point you're begining to think this mod is not for you, you can try this save before cursing me and deleting the whole thing :lol:

The second one jumps into the final scenarios (14th scen), and i thought that some people who has already played the previous version of the game and do not want to replay a dozen old scens can use it to go straight to the new thing.
bondjamesbond wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:34 am
And why are there no cavalry and armored trains in your mod, because in reality they were !?
Both are in the mod, Mr. Bond. 8)

As far as I know, historically the Nationalists used trains (quite effectively) as strategic redeployment assets, and they rarely saw action, except as objectives for irregular republican guerrillas acting in the rearguard in sabotage actions. The republicans did try to use them in more offensive way several times but with little success. Armored trains appear in the Northern Blockade scenario as auxiliar (but important) units; they are not purchasable units, thou.

Both Nationalists and Republicans have cavalry in the game. As Republican, the player can buy the unit but not before the University City (i think), and will face Nationalist riders many times during the campaign :)
rafdobrowolski
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Spanish Civil War Mod & Campaign (v0.90 SOON)

Post by rafdobrowolski »

LNDavoust wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:36 pm I take the mention to the Internationals to thank Rafdobrowolski again: without him the texts in the mod would be a gibbering mess, just something far resembling english.
rafdobrowolski wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:48 pm One of the reasons I was excited to see this SCW mod being developed, and why I helped with the translations for the mod was my own personal attachment to the conflict. The grandfather (Leonard Olson) of a former partner of mine was part of the Abraham Lincoln International Brigade who fought at the battle of the Ebro and other conflicts at the end of the SCW. He died back in the late 1990's. As of today, now all veterans of every one of the international brigades has since passed away:

https://www.democracynow.org/2021/5/26/ ... -192834814
You got it! I am still out here if you need help. Avisame...
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Nice! Thanks for the updated version!
LNDavoust

Re: Spanish Civil War Mod & Campaign (v0.90 SOON)

Post by LNDavoust »

rafdobrowolski wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:07 am You got it! I am still out here if you need help. Avisame...
Hey there, Raf! What a joy to read you again! You've got a PM :D
Bobster66
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Bobster66 »

Hello! Very pleased to see the return of this excellent mod.

Since it had been awhile, I started a new campaign. It took a couple of scenarios before I realized the default difficulty was only at Captain so restarted and changed to Colonel. Everything worked perfectly in the first 3 scenarios.

In #4, Western Mediterranean, I had a problem with the convoy objective. In my first attempt, I spotted it and bombed it with my air force. It had already been sunk before the pop-up announcing it, so perhaps an earlier notice and a warning about not targeting it would be a good idea. The scenario ended with a failure for the objective so I restarted and this time made sure to only use the subs, but again the objective ended as a failure. Reading the change-log in the OP I see this problem occurred in a previous version as well, it seems to have reappeared.
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

Bobster66 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:48 pm Hello! Very pleased to see the return of this excellent mod.

Since it had been awhile, I started a new campaign. It took a couple of scenarios before I realized the default difficulty was only at Captain so restarted and changed to Colonel. Everything worked perfectly in the first 3 scenarios.

In #4, Western Mediterranean, I had a problem with the convoy objective. In my first attempt, I spotted it and bombed it with my air force. It had already been sunk before the pop-up announcing it, so perhaps an earlier notice and a warning about not targeting it would be a good idea. The scenario ended with a failure for the objective so I restarted and this time made sure to only use the subs, but again the objective ended as a failure. Reading the change-log in the OP I see this problem occurred in a previous version as well, it seems to have reappeared.
Hi Bobster, happy to read you here, too :)

The campaign is only tested with the Colonel difficulty (medium, 3), playing outside that difficulty could make some objectives break, so i don't recommend it.

I didn't think about the possibility of attacking the convoy before the pu, silly me... This need somekind of fix, i will think about. But sunking the convoy with the subs should make the work... would be easy for you to send me a save or a replay? I will look into it.

Even if it's not possible, thanks a lot for your feedback, it's invaluable for me :)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

LNDavoust wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:55 am The campaign is only tested with the Colonel difficulty (medium, 3), playing outside that difficulty could make some objectives break, so i don't recommend it.
Why ?
I usually play level III-IV depending on the difficulty of the missions.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

When I first started this mod, I didn’t hear the music, I had to adjust the Music volume in the Options :

Capture d’écran (200).jpg
Capture d’écran (200).jpg (661.42 KiB) Viewed 959 times
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

terminator wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:25 am When I first started this mod, I didn’t hear the music, I had to adjust the Music volume in the Options :

Capture d’écran (200).jpg
Argh, i silence it for modding, and i forgot to change it for the release version. Thanks Terminator :/
terminator wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:45 am
LNDavoust wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:55 am The campaign is only tested with the Colonel difficulty (medium, 3), playing outside that difficulty could make some objectives break, so i don't recommend it.
Why ?
I usually play level III-IV depending on the difficulty of the missions.
Some objectives and triggers are damage-based, so changing the health of the enemy coud mess with them and unbalance the scenarios. I didn't try the campaign outside the colonel difficulty, so i don't know it for sure. There are ways (options in the triggers) to adjust at least some of these to different difficulties, but I didn't use them :/
rafdobrowolski

Post by rafdobrowolski »

Hey everyone, glad to see (read) you all well and still at it! I was playing the Bilbao scenario, and noticed that when you are given the option to demolish the industry in Bilbao, some of the markers for where to move the demo unit do not correspod to the spot where they can set demo charges up and blow up the industry. One or two on the west side were off by a hex to the north I think.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

I loaded this mod. Again, I was impressed with the quality of this production which I am sure is only even more enhanced in this version. I will be playing it soon. Comments to follow. If I talk too much, or digress, kindly inform me. Serious. Sometimes TMI is TMI.
- Bru
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

rafdobrowolski wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:49 am Hey everyone, glad to see (read) you all well and still at it! I was playing the Bilbao scenario, and noticed that when you are given the option to demolish the industry in Bilbao, some of the markers for where to move the demo unit do not correspod to the spot where they can set demo charges up and blow up the industry. One or two on the west side were off by a hex to the north I think.
I was reviewing the objective and I cannont detect or recreate the problem, Raf. The objective markers seem to point to the correct 6 hexes (the factories are just in the locations with a supply of 3):

Maybe you destroy other supply points without factories on them? Mind that the fortification team will be able to boom other kind of hexes with its demolition ability. Did these hexes also leave a burned factory behind? Did the counter for the objective worked correctly in your playthrough? If you have a save or a replay that would help me.

I liked a lot this objective and thought it worked fine in the present version (it did in my playtests)... damn :/ Thanks a lot for the report, man! :!:
bru888 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:53 pm I loaded this mod. Again, I was impressed with the quality of this production which I am sure is only even more enhanced in this version. I will be playing it soon. Comments to follow. If I talk too much, or digress, kindly inform me. Serious. Sometimes TMI is TMI.
I'm very grateful for any kind of feedback, Bru, but i will feel especially blessed if they came from a fellow designer who gives me some of his time :) I'm just hope it will be a fun ride for you :wink: Let it come! :mrgreen:

As a general comment, I will be far from my computer (and with limited connectivity) next week for several days, but even if I cannot pass by the forum, i will review every report or comment you leave here (and address them) on my return.
rafdobrowolski

Post by rafdobrowolski »

LNDavoust wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:58 pm
rafdobrowolski wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:49 am Hey everyone, glad to see (read) you all well and still at it! I was playing the Bilbao scenario, and noticed that when you are given the option to demolish the industry in Bilbao, some of the markers for where to move the demo unit do not correspod to the spot where they can set demo charges up and blow up the industry. One or two on the west side were off by a hex to the north I think.
I was reviewing the objective and I cannont detect or recreate the problem, Raf. The objective markers seem to point to the correct 6 hexes (the factories are just in the locations with a supply of 3):

Maybe you destroy other supply points without factories on them? Mind that the fortification team will be able to boom other kind of hexes with its demolition ability. Did these hexes also leave a burned factory behind? Did the counter for the objective worked correctly in your playthrough? If you have a save or a replay that would help me.

I liked a lot this objective and thought it worked fine in the present version (it did in my playtests)... damn :/ Thanks a lot for the report, man! :!:
bru888 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:53 pm I loaded this mod. Again, I was impressed with the quality of this production which I am sure is only even more enhanced in this version. I will be playing it soon. Comments to follow. If I talk too much, or digress, kindly inform me. Serious. Sometimes TMI is TMI.
I'm very grateful for any kind of feedback, Bru, but i will feel especially blessed if they came from a fellow designer who gives me some of his time :) I'm just hope it will be a fun ride for you :wink: Let it come! :mrgreen:

As a general comment, I will be far from my computer (and with limited connectivity) next week for several days, but even if I cannot pass by the forum, i will review every report or comment you leave here (and address them) on my return.
I went back and tried again... user error. I thought the arrows were pointing to the hexes above... All is good!
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

All is good... is good indeed :D

Finish these evil factories! Finish them all! :twisted:
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Usually, the campaign’s scenario descriptions include the location and date to better situate the historical context :

Espagne.jpg
Espagne.jpg (428.99 KiB) Viewed 826 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

terminator wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:06 am Usually, the campaign’s scenario descriptions include the location and date to better situate the historical context :
Eh, I question that in this particular case, given the general nature of the map and subject.

EDIT: Actually, no. I would agree with terminator, on second look. The first scenario has a specific time and place. The general info is covered by the popup message.

EDIT 2: One of the first grins is over how the designer altered the loading tips file to show pithy statements about the overall situation. Well done. (Any noob who needs those tips ought to be playing vanilla OOB first anyway.)

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (137.37 KiB) Viewed 804 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Wow, all the great informational popups in the beginning, along with appropriate photos. Absolutely necessary, in my opinion, despite what critics say. You remind me of me. :wink:
- Bru
LNDavoust

Post by LNDavoust »

terminator wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:06 am Usually, the campaign’s scenario descriptions include the location and date to better situate the historical context :
You are completely right, Terminator :idea: I will add the line in the next versión of the campaign.
bru888 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:10 pm Wow, all the great informational popups in the beginning, along with appropriate photos. Absolutely necessary, in my opinion, despite what critics say. You remind me of me. :wink:
Depending on your opinion on yourself, this is a great praise or the worst insult, bru :wink:

I'm pretty sure I listed as "influences" for The Spanish Prelude (somewhere in this very same forum, more than two years ago, when I began the bloody thing) some of your work (the Bismarck scen, for example), so I'm happy if you recognize yourself, that was part of the idea :)

Also, what can I say, I love both context and storytelling in wargames (you will be fed up with both if you go on with the campaign, bru :) ).

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”