Do reserve units have an upgrade discount?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Applepie68
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Do reserve units have an upgrade discount?

Post by Applepie68 »

I was playing one scenario and I was planning on deploying my heavy infantry when I noticed I could upgrade it. So I placed it down (in the sea) and went to upgrade it. It costed 80 RP which seemed a bit high so I didn’t upgrade it (US 42” -> 43”). I then went into my reserves to place another and thought I’ll go ahead and do so since I had quite a bit of resources left. When I opened up the menu I saw it only costed 50 RP. I thought this may have been to an experience different but that wasn’t the case. So I’m now wondering do units in reserve get a discount on upgrade cost? On a related note is there a mod to adjust repair cost and exp penalty after you get the 1 star specialization?

PS What does getting veterancy on carriers do? Is it just attack and defense bonus like all other units?
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Do reserve units have an upgrade discount?

Post by Horst »

I haven't compared all the upgrade cost differences yet, but my notes below should maybe answer one or two questions.

Code: Select all

Unit-cost
=========
- series-upgrades cost 50% for land/air and 10% for naval; non-series upgrades 80% of purchase cost
- after repurchases of imported core units, upgrades or downgrades among the same class can be done with only cost-difference
- 50% of repair costs on auxiliary units is refunded at scenario end
- Disbanding units nets 20% of purchase cost
- Repair Cost R/E:
  - regular/green: 50% unit's purchase cost
  - elite: 61-140% unit's purchase cost depending on XP
- attached transports won't increase repair-cost, only the supply/command demand
- Engineer/Seabees/Bautruppe costs
  - lay minefield: 20 (3 turns CD)
  - clear minefield: 0 (rewards 300xp)

Code: Select all

Unit-experience
===============
- Healing of Medical Jeep and Support Ships reduce the recipients-XP twice as much as their self-heal
- Experience has no impact on Assault but on Shock and reduces efficiency losses when attacking or defending
- It’s a percentage bonus on attack and defense, so units with higher base values benefit from it more than units with low base values
- Experience also reduces the damage taken by boosting the defense values
- viewtopic.php?f=264&t=91429&p=781186#p781186
Last edited by Horst on Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Applepie68

Post by Applepie68 »

Horst wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:50 pm I haven't compared all the upgrade cost differences yet, but my notes below should maybe answer one or two questions.
Oh wow I didn’t realize there was a penalty for the jeep makes it seem even more useless now though the specialization was nice. Lots of good information here that I have thought about once or twice but never asked as well as a lot of things I didn’t even consider. Unfortunately this didn’t answer my question as the upgrade cost difference was for the same unit so veterancy and unit type was consistent.

PS thanks for doing all the testing for your notes. Do you by chance know how to resize the UI for the campaign selection? I finally updated my game after ~2 years and the UI seems to have shrunk could find anyone else with the issue though.
Horst

Post by Horst »

If under Options/Audio&Video the HD UI toggle doesn't do anything there, there is no other way to enlarge these windows besides praying loudly here to the dev-gods.

About your upgrade question: are you sure one of your heavy infantry wasn't lower on strength than 10?
Upgrades also do reinforcements automatically, what seems to be cheaper than getting first reinforcements and afterwards upgrades. Don't know any details of this either yet.

If you got a saved game of strange occurances then you can upload it here. It's easier to check out for others.
Bobster66
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Bobster66 »

I've seen the same problem many times. Apparently, once a unit has been placed at sea it is now considered a transport, and not the type of unit it actually is. You will then have to pay full price for upgrades.

In the Allies Victorious D-Day scenario you can see this easily when importing a core force. You will pay full price to purchase your core unit, and then pay full price again to upgrade it to the most recent version if you place it at sea. Usually when importing a core unit you only pay the difference in price between the two to upgrade. Fortunately there is that small bit of England in the upper right corner of the map so you can place all your units there, upgrade and then place them at sea.
Applepie68

Post by Applepie68 »

Horst wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:49 pm If under Options/Audio&Video the HD UI toggle doesn't do anything there, there is no other way to enlarge these windows besides praying loudly here to the dev-gods.

About your upgrade question: are you sure one of your heavy infantry wasn't lower on strength than 10?
Upgrades also do reinforcements automatically, what seems to be cheaper than getting first reinforcements and afterwards upgrades. Don't know any details of this either yet.

If you got a saved game of strange occurances then you can upload it here. It's easier to check out for others.
I was wondering if I were able to get ahold of an older version of the game would I be able to import say a file with the dimensions of the UI and have it changed that way? Granted I know next to nothing about coding so I might just be dreaming here.
Bobster66 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:55 pm I've seen the same problem many times. Apparently, once a unit has been placed at sea it is now considered a transport, and not the type of unit it actually is. You will then have to pay full price for upgrades.

In the Allies Victorious D-Day scenario you can see this easily when importing a core force. You will pay full price to purchase your core unit, and then pay full price again to upgrade it to the most recent version if you place it at sea. Usually when importing a core unit you only pay the difference in price between the two to upgrade. Fortunately there is that small bit of England in the upper right corner of the map so you can place all your units there, upgrade and then place them at sea.
Thank you so much for the explanation that makes quite a bit of sense. Good to know its just an issue of the game reading it as a different unit type.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Return to “Order of Battle Series”