ExCoB II - The Prophecy of Merlin: Concluded

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Round 2: Battle status

Post by kronenblatt »

Battles
1.1 Army 1 of The East (Branodunum, tyronec versus Army 18 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39)
=> tyronec defeats Aetius39 63-23.
1.2 Army 2 of The East (Caesaromagus, Warg1) versus Army 18 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39)
=> ?
1.3 Army 5 of The East (Regulbium, anderarcos11) versus Army 18 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39)
=> Aetius39 defeats anderarcos11 59-31.
1.4 Army 5 of The East (Regulbium, anderarcos11) versus Army 20 of The South (Portus Adurni, SpeedyCM)
=> SpeedyCM defeats anderarcos11 41-13.

2.1 Army 17 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39) versus Army 29 of The West (Segontium, Giacofa93)
=> ?

3.1 Army 19 of The South (Aquae Sulis, RedPossum) versus Army 27 of The West (Magnis, Karvon)
=> Karvon defeats RedPossum 46-11.

Are 1.2 and 2.1 set up and started?
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
anderarcos11
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Round 2: Battle status

Post by anderarcos11 »

kronenblatt wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:04 pm Battles
1.1 Army 1 of The East (Branodunum, tyronec versus Army 18 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39)
1.2 Army 2 of The East (Caesaromagus, Warg1) versus Army 18 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39)
=> ?
1.3 Army 5 of The East (Regulbium, anderarcos11) versus Army 18 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39)
1.4 Army 5 of The East (Regulbium, anderarcos11) versus Army 20 of The South (Portus Adurni, SpeedyCM)

2.1 Army 17 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39) versus Army 29 of The West (Segontium, Giacofa93)
=> ?

3.1 Army 19 of The South (Aquae Sulis, RedPossum) versus Army 27 of The West (Magnis, Karvon)

Are 1.2 and 2.1 set up and started?
Maybe better send private message
Warg1
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: ExCoB II - The Prophecy of Merlin: Ongoing

Post by Warg1 »

Army 2 of The East (Caesaromagus, Warg1) defeats (just) Army 18 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39) 63 - 52

This was always going to be a brutal encounter with my superior numbers triumphing over some nice wooded terrain for Aetius to take up a defensive position, hiding warbands here and there. My left flank overtook his with a share weight of numbers but his concentration of quality troops destroyed my centre.

I enjoyed some early success on the right flank and critically was able to get some cavalry to break his line and reek a mild amount of havoc with rear attacks. However, as more hordes emerged from the woods the pendulum swung back. A few rallies on my part saved some blushes after almost squandering a 42 - 27 lead.

In the end, the overwhelming numbers of my left flank were able to swing back towards the centre taking out enough of some high-quality but isolated troops to get over the line before my right flank could be completely eviscerated.

A pyrrhic victory at best.
Screen_00000015.jpg
Screen_00000015.jpg (930.81 KiB) Viewed 750 times
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

It seems that:

2.1 Army 17 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39, 1540 = 1600 - 60 FP) versus Army 29 of The West (Segontium, Giacofa93, 1540 = 1600 - 60 FP). North European Hilly. Aetius39 sets up.

hasn't been started yet. So we'll call that a 0-0 draw so we can move on.

kronenblatt

Round 3, Phase 4 (Administration)

Post by kronenblatt »

A kingdom and all its armies involved in that battle are considered to have won a battle against an enemy kingdom if at least one of the kingdom's engagements in that battle is won and none are lost, with the enemy kingdom (and all its armies involved) in that battle then considered to have lost the battle. If there is no winner and hence no loser of a battle, the battle is considered to be a draw for the involved kingdoms and armies.

Battle 1
1.1 Army 1 of The East (Branodunum, tyronec) versus Army 18 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39)
=> Warg1 defeats Aetius39 63-52.
=> Draw in the overall battle (since both kingdoms have 2 wins each and thus 2 losses each).
=> All: Which two hexes do each of your armies move 2 hexes away from their enemy armies (in the direction of its kingdom's Court or controlled structures, always without moving within the ZoC of any army from another kingdom)?

Battle 2
=> Aetius39 draws with Giacofa93 0-0.
=> Both: Which two hexes do each of your armies move 2 hexes away from their enemy armies (in the direction of its kingdom's Court or controlled structures, always without moving within the ZoC of any army from another kingdom)?

Battle 3
=> The Kingdom of The West gains control over the Town and Stronghold of Aquae Sulis.
=> Karvon: do you want your army to remain in your hex or move into the enemy's hex?
=> RedPossum: in which hex do you want your army to reappear? (in the hex of (or adjacent to) its player's Stronghold (provided it is controlled by its kingdom) or at least 2 hexes away, in the hex of the closest structure controlled by its kingdom and connected to the kingdom's lines of logistics, or, if none of these are available, in a hex of or adjacent to the Court of its kingdom.)

kronenblatt

Round 4: Order giving

Post by kronenblatt »

Time has come for round 4's order giving and movement instructions and the 12 MP each of your armies have.

Please send to me through replying to my PM by Sunday December 4 (9 PM, Swedish time) at the latest, and just as a simple sequence of individual moves (e.g., 2 4 2 6 0 6), with no other symbols in between, only blanks (for easy copy-pasting by the administrator). I will not open the PMs from any of the factions other than my own until I've published the movement instructions of the armies of The North.

And please check up on your team members: if needed, please submit moves on their behalf as well, ideally in the same PM.

For details, please check Giving orders and Movement in the RULES.

Any questions? Please ask them in the campaign thread, for everyone else to see question and answer.

Don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. So let's be generous and accommodating. This is for fun, after all! :)

kronenblatt

Round 4: Movement instructions

Post by kronenblatt »

kronenblatt

Round 4: Executed moves

Post by kronenblatt »

Please let me know whether the above and the map below is in line with your instructions and intentions.

Note: the move of Eastern army 4 is halted by the ZoC of South's village Pontes. Western army 26 can't (based on my calculations) move on to its last desired hex, since it requires 3 MP (standing at 10 MP, 1+1.5*4+3, with only 2 MP left).

EDIT: I've moved Eastern army 2 the 2 hexes further, in line with the movement instruction it in fact gave. Apologies.

kronenblatt

Round 4: battle resolution

Post by kronenblatt »

Only one engagement to be fought this round.

Battle 1
1.1 Army 19 of The South (Aquae Sulis, RedPossum, 1326 = 1386 - 60 FP) versus Army 27 of The West (Magnis, Karvon, 1489 = 1589 - 60 FP - 40 FP from River). North European Agricultural. RedPossum sets up.

Please note

The engagements will in Field of Glory II: Ancients be set up as follows:
  • ExCoB II v1 module (downloaded in-game).
  • Open Battle scenario.
  • 24 turns turn limit.
  • Wide (40 x 32) map size.
  • Main armies: The army of a fiefdom (i.e., controlled by a specific player, a “Knight") always uses its fiefdom's army list as its main army, independent of whether the Stronghold of such fiefdom is controlled by its kingdom or not.
  • Allies: Armies within the same kingdom can all (if they want to) use each other's fiefdom army lists as allies, provided that the Stronghold of that fiefdom is controlled by the kingdom. (An army can not use the fiefdom army list from another kingdom as allies, even if controlling the Stronghold of that kingdom.)
  • The player having spent the fewest MP that round normally sets up the engagement in-game, after having received information from his opponent which allies (if any) he'll be using.
  • The engagement to be concluded within a five-week period, i.e., by January 11 at the latest.
  • The winner, or the player having incurred the fewest casualties, reports the results in this thread.
Outcomes of battles and engagements
  • The results of the individual outcomes of all the engagements within one and the same battle will determine the total outcome of the battle, which in turn will affect whether control of structures is changed and armies are moved from the locations.
  • A kingdom and all its armies involved in that battle are considered to have won a battle against an enemy kingdom if at least one of the kingdom's engagements in that battle is won and none are lost, with the enemy kingdom (and all its armies involved) in that battle then considered to have lost the battle. If there is no winner and hence no loser of a battle, the battle is considered to be a draw for the involved kingdoms and armies.

kronenblatt

Replacement player found

Post by kronenblatt »

Triarii replaces Giacofa93 in Kingdom of The West, controlling army 29 (Segontium) and teaming up with Karvon and Kashtronomical.

Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Breaking News!

Army 19 of The South (Aquae Sulis, RedPossum defeated by Army 27 of The West (Magnis, Karvon) 42-2!

Dispatches containing full account to follow.

Karvon
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

The battle was fought along the banks of the Parrett River which entirely blocked off the the right third of the field. A gentle ridge ran from the banks of the river along the front of the Southerners deployment area to about the center of the field. Beyond the ridge, a small marsh and then woods nestled along the river, further secured that flank. A large woods spread out across the center from the bottom and back of this ridge. Then, there was a couple hundred pace gap followed by a small woods at the foot of small gentle slope against the far left edge.

We opted to maximize our lights, taking a full contingent foot and horse. We brought a large division of 6 lancers supported by a couple of cavalry. We brought a division of medium foot, mostly Irish with a couple of Bythnian supporters. Finally, our heavy division 4 warbands, half superior, with a Pictish spear support.

Figuring the Southerns would take advantage of the slope with its fairly well secured flanks, we deployed strongly to the left, planning to clear the woods and turn the enemy right. We deployed our lights in line stretching from the far left to about the middle, with horse about equally divided on each wing. Our cavalry deployed on the left to advance in close support of the light screen. Our heavy division deployed in line with the medium division behind. Our lancer division formed up refused on our right.

Our basic plan was to use our lights, supported by cavalry to clear any opposing lights or horse from the open and the smaller woods. Our heavy foot would veer left and tackle any forces which ventured into the open that our lights couldn't handle. Our medium foot would help clear the small woods, if needed and then begin the work of clearing the larger central woods to threaten the ridge. Our lancers could be used several ways, they could shift left to help deal with mounted threats, they could be held in reserve to move up and flank opponents engaged by our foot, or they could serve as a screen and delaying force along our right as the foot tackled the woods.

The Southerns did indeed seem to deploy mostly on, or behind, the ridge. We could initially see a mix of a few heavy and medium foot supported by some lights and horse along the ridge. A great deal was hidden though, so we decided to go ahead and push left as planned. Our light horse moved ahead to probe and fairly quickly found a few lights and mediums along the fringes of the smaller and larger woods. We moved up our light foot and cavalry and fairly quickly cleared the smaller woods and begin skirmishing to wear down the Palatine Aux holding the end of the large one. Our heavies continued their slow oblique advance left towards the gap. Most of our mediums swung out to the left to sweep through and around the smaller woods, but a couple we held back to cover the right flank. A few of our lights crept up and skirmished with units on the end of the ridge. Our lancers held back in reserve on our right, covering the flank.

The Southerns began shifting left to counter my push. A few medium foot emerged from the central woods to confront my infantry supported by a lone cataphract. His foot on the ridge advanced and slowly began to wheel to support the mediums on their right. One of his cavalry sortied out to cover their left and support some light skirmishing with ours.

Our lights showered his mediums and the cataphract with arrrows and stones weakening and disrupting a couple which were then charged by our warbands. The cataphract tried to rundown one of our warbands, but with our general there we held vs the impact. Our lights moved in around the cat's trapping them from falling back and our lurking cavalry fell on their flank, disrupting them and greatly weakening them in the grinding fight vs the warband. Meanwhile our lancers moved up to screen our right in a double loose line. The Southerns resolutely charged into them with their mixed foot with generally minimal to dismal results; a couple foot were disrupted or fragmented and my lancers were pushed back a couple of hundred paces. A couple of my lancers ganged up on his lone cavalry and a slow grinding combat developed. My slightly better light horse got a bit better of the skirmishing battle on my right, but it was likewise a slow grinding exchange.

With most of his troops pinned down along the battle line, I was able to move up some of mediums on my left and flank several of his engaged units and over a couple of turns, his right evaporated as his cat's and mediums were broken and swept away. The Palatine Aux who'd valiantly held the edge of the woods lost spirit disrupting with the routing of a neighbor and was flanked and broken soon after. On my right, my lancers finally overcame his cavalry and overran a couple of nearby fragmented or disrupted foot in the pursuit. He managed to rally one medium foot fleeing through the central woods, but it was not enough and the Southern army streamed off the field abandoning the town to the victors.

Final score 42 - 2

Karvon
kronenblatt

Round 4: Administration

Post by kronenblatt »

Army 19 (RedPossum): Your only option is to reappear in Durnovaria, the Court of your kingdom. Please let me know if you prefer any hex adjacent to it.
Army 27 (Karvon): do you want to move into the hex of the losing army 19?

Answers by tomorrow (December 19), please.

Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

I will advance into the city.

Originally sent this by PM; reposting here as it's been a couple of days.

Karvon
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Karvon wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:02 am I will advance into the city.

Originally sent this by PM; reposting here as it's been a couple of days.

Karvon
Duly noted, Karvon: thanks.

kronenblatt

Round 5: Order giving

Post by kronenblatt »

Time has come for round 5's order giving and movement instructions and the 12 MP each of your armies have.

Please send to me through replying to my PM by January 2 (9 PM, Swedish time) at the latest, and just as a simple sequence of individual moves (e.g., 2 4 2 6 0 6), with no other symbols in between, only blanks (for easy copy-pasting by the administrator). I will not open the PMs from any of the factions other than my own until I've published the movement instructions of the armies of The North.

And please check up on your team members: if needed, please submit moves on their behalf as well, ideally in the same PM.

For details, please check Giving orders and Movement in the RULES.

Any questions? Please ask them in the campaign thread, for everyone else to see question and answer.

Don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. So let's be generous and accommodating. This is for fun, after all! :)

kronenblatt

Re: Round 5: Order giving

Post by kronenblatt »

kronenblatt wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:34 pm
Three players having submitted so far: tyronec, Warg1, Karvon. The rest of you: please PM me your movement instructions.

anderarcos11

Re: Round 5: Order giving

Post by anderarcos11 »

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:46 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:34 pm
Three players having submitted so far: tyronec, Warg1, Karvon. The rest of you: please PM me your movement instructions.
I sent my movements a few days ago.
kronenblatt

Round 5: Executed movements

Post by kronenblatt »

These were the instructions received. None for armies 3 and 19.

kronenblatt

Round 5: battle resolution

Post by kronenblatt »

Three engagements, as part of two battles, to be fought this round.

Battle 1
1.1 Army 19 of The South (Aquae Sulis, RedPossum, 1242 = 1302 - 60 FP) versus Army 27 of The West (Magnis, Karvon, 1527 = 1587 - 60 FP). North European Agricultural. RedPossum sets up.
=> Karvon wins 41-0.

Battle 2
2.1 Army 17 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39, 1540 = 1600 - 60 FP) versus Army 26 of The West (Gobannium, Kashtronomical, 1480 = 1600 - 120 FP). North European Agricultural. Kashtronomical sets up.
=> Aetius39 wins 45-19.
2.2 Army 21 of The South (Portus Ardurni, SpeedyCM, 1540 = 1600 - 60 FP) versus Army 26 of The West (Gobannium, Kashtronomical, 1480 = 1600 - 120 FP). North European Agricultural. Kashtronomical sets up.
=> SpeedyCM wins 41-11.

Please note

The engagements will in Field of Glory II: Ancients be set up as follows:
  • ExCoB II v1 module (downloaded in-game).
  • Open Battle scenario.
  • 24 turns turn limit.
  • Wide (40 x 32) map size.
  • Main armies: The army of a fiefdom (i.e., controlled by a specific player, a “Knight") always uses its fiefdom's army list as its main army, independent of whether the Stronghold of such fiefdom is controlled by its kingdom or not.
  • Allies: Armies within the same kingdom can all (if they want to) use each other's fiefdom army lists as allies, provided that the Stronghold of that fiefdom is controlled by the kingdom. (An army can not use the fiefdom army list from another kingdom as allies, even if controlling the Stronghold of that kingdom.)
  • The player having spent the fewest MP that round normally sets up the engagement in-game, after having received information from his opponent which allies (if any) he'll be using.
  • The engagement to be concluded within a five-week period, i.e., by February 7 at the latest.
  • The winner, or the player having incurred the fewest casualties, reports the results in this thread.
Outcomes of battles and engagements
  • The results of the individual outcomes of all the engagements within one and the same battle will determine the total outcome of the battle, which in turn will affect whether control of structures is changed and armies are moved from the locations.
  • A kingdom and all its armies involved in that battle are considered to have won a battle against an enemy kingdom if at least one of the kingdom's engagements in that battle is won and none are lost, with the enemy kingdom (and all its armies involved) in that battle then considered to have lost the battle. If there is no winner and hence no loser of a battle, the battle is considered to be a draw for the involved kingdoms and armies.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”