Sandbox Campaign suggestions

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Sandbox Campaign suggestions

Post by rbodleyscott »

miki wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:27 am Hi

Just to point that "provincian revolt" romans (219-200BC) armies (made almost entirely of hastati/princeps) are way more powerful than "standard" armies. I think it happens this way with all the republican roman armies.

Thank you
The algorithm for local forces picks from the same list as normal, but weights the choice in favour of the cheaper units. As there aren't many cheap units on the Roman 219-200 BC list, the list is going to be pretty similar to the normal list. (Not more powerful, but not much less powerful either).
Richard Bodley Scott

miki
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by miki »

OK, thank you very much.
Saludos
Miki
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

As a suggestion that might unfortunately require a too big database and be complex to implement, the option in the Sandbox Campaigns allowing the player, instead of choosing two rival army lists, to choose an historical leader such Pericles or Louis XI (or a faction during a given timeframe, such as England between 1337 AD and 1453 AD) and the player would randomly fight several historical enemy armies of this timeframe in chronological order (so potentially with different own army lists).
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Athos1660 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:48 pm As a suggestion that might unfortunately require a too big database and be complex to implement, the option in the Sandbox Campaigns allowing the player, instead of choosing two rival army lists, to choose an historical leader such Pericles or Louis XI (or a faction during a given timeframe, such as England between 1337 AD and 1453 AD) and the player would randomly fight several historical enemy armies of this timeframe in chronological order (so potentially with different own army lists).
Interesting, a sort of mixture between the current Historical and Random campaigns.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Paul59 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:22 pm
Indeed, Paul : historical campaigns not designed by Richard, but randomly generated, so not related to specific battles but different each time.
slithpile
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by slithpile »

I just wanted to thank you all again for the Sandbox Campaign in Field of Glory 2. It is why I keep coming back to play this game 5 years later. (That and the excellent implementation of the underlying miniatures ruleset).

The Sandbox campaign provides just enough continuity to make each battle feel like it has high stakes. But the focus is kept clearly on the tactical battles.

I've tried Field of Glory Empires, but I still prefer to come back to these Sandbox Campaigns over and over again.

Tony
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

slithpile wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:28 pm I just wanted to thank you all again for the Sandbox Campaign in Field of Glory 2. It is why I keep coming back to play this game 5 years later. (That and the excellent implementation of the underlying miniatures ruleset).

The Sandbox campaign provides just enough continuity to make each battle feel like it has high stakes. But the focus is kept clearly on the tactical battles.

I've tried Field of Glory Empires, but I still prefer to come back to these Sandbox Campaigns over and over again.

Tony
Glad you like it. Thanks
Richard Bodley Scott

matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

I really like to see 2 things in this campaign

- that the last battle are "kill the CinC" objectif
- that we can sometimes have the opportunité of flank march
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

matlegob wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 am - that we can sometimes have the opportunité of flank march
Coming in the next update.
Richard Bodley Scott

nikossaiz
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by nikossaiz »

is there a way to see between battles the casualties infleected till that point in the entire campaign? Like a ledger, to see what general were killed, the casualties of eatch battle ( not only the last one ) . would be quite immersive and we can have a bigger picture of the campaign. Also , a loose geographical definition for its battle would be really welcome.

Cause i am playing FOG 2 exclusivelly on the steam deck ( being a parent recently, steamdeck os the only way to play in general ) i cant play it along with empires , the export battles option doesnt work, so the sandbox campaigns are the only way to have a proper historical conflict of big scale.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

nikossaiz wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:45 am is there a way to see between battles the casualties infleected till that point in the entire campaign?
Unfortunately not at present.
Richard Bodley Scott

nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:17 pm
nikossaiz wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:45 am is there a way to see between battles the casualties infleected till that point in the entire campaign?
oh , sad to hear. There will be any updates ( and any hopes for something like this ) after the swifter than eagles dlc, or the development will be primary on medieval?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

nikossaiz wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:06 am
rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:17 pm
oh , sad to hear. There will be any updates ( and any hopes for something like this ) after the swifter than eagles dlc, or the development will be primary on medieval?
There probably will be further updates, but development work is now mainly on other projects, so your suggestion would unfortunately be fairly low priority on the list of tasks.
Richard Bodley Scott

nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

unfortunately be fairly low priority on the list of tasks
completely understadable, was just for extra flavor anyway, nothing important gameplay wise.
Something irellevant to this post. I wrote about the ( no ) compatibillity of FOG empires with FOG 2 on steamdeck on the tech support forum. Since further development of FOG 2 and empires are come to the end , would ever be a link between the games on steamdeck? ( im not sure if its Valves' side to fix this, but since im playing the GOG version i m asking if there is a workaround to it from yours side ) anyway, thank you for your quick reply and i have to say, playing FOG2 and empires after so many years of playing and moding Total war it feels like a natural evolution gameplay wise ! i never thought that i would have the same fellings and engagement about a strategy game, but here we are!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

nikossaiz wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:12 amI wrote about the ( no ) compatibillity of FOG empires with FOG 2 on steamdeck on the tech support forum. Since further development of FOG 2 and empires are come to the end , would ever be a link between the games on steamdeck? ( im not sure if its Valves' side to fix this, but since im playing the GOG version i m asking if there is a workaround to it from yours side )
I have no understanding of the technicalities of using STEAM deck, but I have emailed Pip at Slitherine and asked him to look at your other thread, in case he knows an answer. He is in western Canada, so at the earliest he won't see the email till much later today.
Richard Bodley Scott

nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

I have emailed Pip
hello, thanks for the quick reply.

Pip gave me ( us ) a a walkthrough of how to achieve connection between games , still not a viable one though. Really hope for a proper solution on the caming months ( days would be over optimistic i believe ) .

till then ill stick with the sandbox campaigns.
slithpile

Post by slithpile »

For FoG 3, I'd love to see a roguelike mode (eg Slay the Spire, Monster Train, Hades).

You start with a small army and choose 1 of 2-3 paths. Each has a different enemy and terrain. The enemies could be from different factions, or just different army compositions for the same faction.

Then you pick from 2-3 rewards. One reward might be a choice of 2-3 different units to add to your army. Another reward might be a choice of a veterancy boost to 2-3 different units in your existing army.

You could do a full heal between battles, or heal only every 3 battles at a "healing node".

I don't think it would be hard to code. The only disadvantage I can think of is that it's a more "gamey game" than the existing campaign, which is closer to the fiction of a historical war.

Return to “Field of Glory II”