Really important multiplayer improvements

mnky
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Really important multiplayer improvements

Post by mnky »

Unfortunatly MP in Gladius is not well supported. It is missing some things:

* Waypointed movement. Unable to control pathing is making this a big drawback for tactics
* MP Savegames can be loaded by anybody and the loading can be used to cheat by simply seeing the full extend of the other factions strength.
* Multiplayer has a bug whereas a player drops from the game, the computer takes over and somehow and sometimes get another turn immediatly.
* having full intelligence on the opponents units ability cooldown and insights is very detrimental for some factions. E.g. spacemarine drop pods.
* bad map generator placing in games.
* no map editor
* no replay recording system.
GoldenXan
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Really important multiplayer improvements

Post by GoldenXan »

Could you explain what you mean by "waypoint movement"? I'm not sure what that is.
The current movement system always chooses the only path available to get to a certain point. For example, tiles may have movement modifiers that lower your movement points, so the game will pick a path around the trees instead of going through them to be able to reach another tile. If there is an enemy near you, moving adjacently to it would end your movement, so if you can move somewhere else, the game will path that for you.

However, when there are multiple selectible tiles for performing an action next, such as moving beside someone and then attacking, you can simply choose the tile you prefer to be in and then choose to perform the action.

Another thing you can do is hold shift and then right click where you want to do something. You can queue orders in specific places like this, for the same turn or for another. I don't know if this works with abilities as well, maybe it does.
Generally speaking, it is best to wait until your unit(s) has finished its action before choosing another, because being too fast may bug out a few results (such as area buffs not triggering on your unit if its currently under movement, even though technically it is going to stop within range of the radius).

I definitely agree about the save games. Though normally you'll be playing loaded games with people you know or trust to some extent, not with strangers, it would be beneficial to have some kind of lock for the save that requires being with the same players, as Total War: Warhammer does.

Map editing is less important on this game because maps are randomly generated, in any case. And the generation follows certain rules for it to be balanced. Such as not having outposts within 3 tiles of one another. That kind of thing could be broken on an editor. But if you mean map editing for singleplayer campaigns, that would be interesting, if it also allowed for us to write logic and quest triggers. Not so much for multiplayer, though.

A replay system would be great. Not just for watching the entire match from scratch, but also to review what happened on the previous turn, if you missed something. The notifications do a good job at telling you most things, but if a unit runs into the fog and you miss its movement, you can't find out the general direction through them. Replays are also important to learn from your mistakes. I strongly would support that as well. It would also be good for streamers and youtubers.

Finally, being able to see other unit's cooldown is tough issue. On one hand, I agree that's not the kind of information the units from opposite factions should have. On the other hand, I believe this was a purposeful decision from the developers, as part of the strategy. The *player* has to know this information to strategize better. To know when to attack, when to be careful, etc. I think that, without that information, it could be very frustrating to play against factions you don't know. And even if you could eventually play and learn them, only those that could remember these tiny details would benefit from it, yet technically anyone could know the cooldown of an ability for a hero within X levels. For simplicity's sake, being able to see them actually makes the game more viable in many ways.
mnky

Re: Really important multiplayer improvements

Post by mnky »

Could you explain what you mean by "waypoint movement"? I'm not sure what that is.
Fairly simple. If you have more than one path to go to a target tile , i need a way to choose the path. In XCom you can set a waypoint. Simple as that.
Why? Because in MP sometimes i KNOW where the opponent sits, in wood or ruins, but my game "doesnt know". And sometimes it will path along that enemy unit. But what happens then? I get into the control zone and my unit stops.
For that matter i want to choose the path that doesnt go through the control zone.
Also there are situation where the pathing will risk a zone of control stop but another path would avoid it. Both getting to the same tile. I want to choose and be safe.
Happens in all my MP rounds. Happens with neutral enemy cleaning too.

Map editors are needed in MP to create symetric maps for 100% equal starting conditions. Thats the only way if you seriously want to balance the factions.
Besides that it would make for much more interesting singleplayer and multiplayer maps. Scripting Quest triggers would also be a thing on selfmade maps.

The hidden abilities suggestion is one thing, but my example with the DROP PODS of the SM is the more relevant one. Why should my oppnent see on a unit that i got DROP PODS researched. They are a very serious tool in the SM army. Also suprise is a very real element in this game ( because scooting abilities are rare ). So if i research it, and it can be seen on every unit and thus its known droppods are available. Its a bit bullshit because the drop pods are a suprise weapon. And taking this element away weakens the ability alot. There is a big difference between leaving a few units for city defence and no units.
Besides that i think mines should be insivible and abilities should only show to the other faction after they are used the first time and cooldown still not shown. Even activation is showing is questionable.
Another good example is warp blood of the chaos lord. If its active the only solution is not to attack the chaos lord in close combat. I think it should be hidden entirely. How else can you trap someone into attacking then? Seen my friend not paying attention and chaos lord and ork boss died at the same time. But that way the only time. Afterwards we knew and we always check carefully for warp blood. Its a bit boring.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War: Suggestions”