Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Potzblitz V18.03 FEB 5th 2023

Post by Wolf001 »

Robotron wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:55 pm Are those two Army Corps at Omsk even worth the trouble to get them to the front in multiplayer?
They would be a waste of rail movements and would not make a difference. In my SP I just disbanded them for the extra PP and MP.

I am looking forward to trying the two new campaigns.

For the difficulty selection how is that balanced? Do you get more PP and MP? Lose less MP?
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

Wolf001 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:41 pm They would be a waste of rail movements and would not make a difference. In my SP I just disbanded them for the extra PP and MP.
Okay, noted, so no Army Corps at Omsk anymore for players but just for the AI which has infinite railmoves and won't care about that.
Wolf001 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:41 pm I am looking forward to trying the two new campaigns.
For the difficulty selection how is that balanced? Do you get more PP and MP? Lose less MP?
As of now I'm aiming at implementing a 10% negative modifier per difficulty level above "normal" against the favor of the player on all morale changes, faction alignment changes, combat modifiers and production while doing the opposite to the AI player.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

How early could the U.S. join the Entente if selected?

For Home Before The Leaves Fall I’m assuming Britain will not count as a neutral even if Belgium isn’t invaded?
Umeu
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:55 pm Are those two Army Corps at Omsk even worth the trouble to get them to the front in multiplayer?
1, probably. A 2nd probably not. Itll be more cost efficient to disband and retrain because you cant claim rail moves for 6 turns without your fronts collapsing

But Russia needs a lot of help in Ostmars MP
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:05 pm Here's a preview of the new campaign selection screen with two new campaigns and re-introduced difficulty levels for singleplayer mode.

new campaign selection.jpg

"Home before the Leaves fall" will be a more "chilled " campaign with all neutrals having a more anti-war stance than usual while "Lights go out in Europe" will escalate quicker than normal.

Any suggestions for either campaign are more than welcome. 8)
Will try it.

Have you read my post about the entrenchment bug? Can you confirm if it works like that for you? Because I'd really like to see barbed wire at 3. And you can start using max entrenchment again in things such as bulgarian trenchline.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 pm Zeps: okay, will re-check.

Omsk Corps: since I've no clue about how the scenario plays out in multiplayer: are those two Russian Army Corps even needed?
pretty sure it works, as I got the notification, it's just that it's MP, so Wolf won't see his zep until his next turn.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Umeu wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:35 am
Robotron wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 pm Zeps: okay, will re-check.

Omsk Corps: since I've no clue about how the scenario plays out in multiplayer: are those two Russian Army Corps even needed?
pretty sure it works, as I got the notification, it's just that it's MP, so Wolf won't see his zep until his next turn.
Can confirm the event popped up at the start of next turn my turn. Sorry Robotron.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Wolf001 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:17 am How early could the U.S. join the Entente if selected?

For Home Before The Leaves Fall I’m assuming Britain will not count as a neutral even if Belgium isn’t invaded?
"US joins Entente early": US would join Entente at some time in 1915.

"Home Before The Leaves Fall": the "anti-war" stance applies to Turkey, Italy, Bulgaria, Romania, Sweden, Portugal, Persia. I might set the scenario turn limit to 12 turns or the onset of winter, not quite sure yet.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Umeu wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:26 am Have you read my post about the entrenchment bug? Can you confirm if it works like that for you? Because I'd really like to see barbed wire at 3. And you can start using max entrenchment again in things such as bulgarian trenchline.
No, I can't yet confirm that since you did not provide a proper explanation of what to do. Is it enough to add a copy of "trenches_4.png" and name it "trenches_5.png"? Have you played through a whole singleplayer game to confirm this change will not cause other kinds of unforeseen trouble? Why is it not mentioned in your IMBA-project PDF? :mrgreen:
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:05 am
Umeu wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:26 am Have you read my post about the entrenchment bug? Can you confirm if it works like that for you? Because I'd really like to see barbed wire at 3. And you can start using max entrenchment again in things such as bulgarian trenchline.
No, I can't yet confirm that since you did not provide a proper explanation of what to do. Is it enough to add a copy of "trenches_4.png" and name it "trenches_5.png"? Have you played through a whole singleplayer game to confirm this change will not cause other kinds of unforeseen trouble? I can't find anything about it in your IMBA-project PDF! :mrgreen:
yes, that's enough.

No, I didn't play a whole playthrough. I played about 10 turns, and restarted games that crashed before, and don't crash anymore after adding the new level in the graphics file.

Not sure what IMBA or any PDF has to do with it, but if you take issue with something I did/said, just say it straight.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

It's more about what you did not say. See, if you want me to try out stuff then provide concise info about what I should do. Usually it's you asking me to be more precise about stuff, don't be surprised if I do the same.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:50 pm It's more about what you did not say. See, if you want me to try out stuff then provide concise info about what I should do. Usually it's you asking me to be more precise about stuff, don't be surprised if I do the same.
Not surprised so much as confused. Let's put it down to misinterpretation.

Anyway, I can be more precise.

I think the crash we were having in the v17 and that you also saw in v16 is not caused by something wrong in the script or code per se, but it's due to a missing graphics file. The game crashed when we increased entrenchment level beyond level 4, and there are only 4 graphics files for each corresponding level.

Can you copy trenches_4.png and call it trenches_5.png, and then try if you can load any of the autosaves that Wolf and I sent you in the past which you couldn't open before. Also, can you try to continue from the endturnautosave and the test70 file, to see if you can continue those games with the entrenchment tech levels of v17 (so without lowering them to v15 or v18 levels).

You can experiment with increasing the entrenchment levels in the files beyond 5 to see if it has any effect, but from what I've gathered, the game won't increase entrenchment beyond a 5th level. However, adding level 6 entrenchment to a tech, without adding a corresponding trenches_6 graphics file, has not caused a crash in any of my tests.

I think this missing file was the root of the crashes we saw, but I don't know why the game stops processing entrenchment beyond level 5 (and why it doesn't cause the same problems when you add trenches_5 but not trenches_6). And I also don't know why it won't go higher than 18 entrenchment.

However, I have not seen any crashes after adding trenches_5.png, though I haven't finished a full playthrough yet, I did do fairly extensive messing around with different stats changes, to see if any of it would crash the game. So far, nothing has happened as I said, so I think you can safely add back certain changes you reverted in order to make v18 crash free, if you wish to do so.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Robotron,

Any idea why I keep getting occasional PBEM++ server warnings when playing multiplayer? A few were from reloading the game when it was crashing. But since yesterday without reloading one turn in multiplayer I have gotten two server warnings. I've contacted Slitherine because I'd prefer not to lose my account name and the gentlemen that replied doesn't have any idea. I am concerned that my account will end up banned eventually.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@Umeu: Perfect, thanks for the detailed info. Now we must decide if we actually want the game to have more entrenchment or not. Also found the part that limits max entrenchment to 18 - that value can be altered to be higher, but how high is too high?

@Wolf: the automated server warnings are nothing to worry about and I don't think they can actually lead to your account getting banned before getting contacted/warned by an actual member of Slitherine team. And if they personally contact you, you should be fine when you explain to them you and your opponent are test-players for the most bugged mod ever written. ^^
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Robotron wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:41 pm
@Wolf: the automated server warnings are nothing to worry about and I don't think they can actually lead to your account getting banned before getting contacted/warned by an actual member of Slitherine team. And if they personally contact you, you should be fine when you explain to them you and your opponent are test-players for the most bugged mod ever written. ^^
Thank you Robotron.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:41 pm @Umeu: Perfect, thanks for the detailed info. Now we must decide if we actually want the game to have more entrenchment or not. Also found the part that limits max entrenchment to 18 - that value can be altered to be higher, but how high is too high?
cool, can you tell me which part that is? I was looking for it, but couldn't find it.

I liked having 1 level more entrenchment on barbed wire, I thought it made the game more realistic and it required more planning to actually break through lines and do damage. And because lines were more resilient, often I'd choose just for war of attrition, rather than trying to breakthrough because I realized I couldn't break through on a wide enough front, to actually do something... sounds like I'm a qualified ww1 commander already XD you tried to add it into 2 versions of your mod, what was your reasoning for doing so?

I think it doesn't have to go much higher than 18, but maybe 20 would be ok, to give level 5 entrenchment on grass its full bonus. But honestly 18 is fine as well. It's something to test in a real game I suppose.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Umeu wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:47 am cool, can you tell me which part that is? I was looking for it, but couldn't find it.
It's in function GetStatEntrenchment(unit) which is part of game.combat.lua
Umeu wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:47 am you tried to add it into 2 versions of your mod, what was your reasoning for doing so?
The reasoning was of course to slow down the progress of attackers. At that time I presumed the entrenchment tech stat would be a simple addition rather than a multiplier.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:59 am
Umeu wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:47 am cool, can you tell me which part that is? I was looking for it, but couldn't find it.
It's in function GetStatEntrenchment(unit) which is part of game.combat.lua
Umeu wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:47 am you tried to add it into 2 versions of your mod, what was your reasoning for doing so?
The reasoning was of course to slow down the progress of attackers. At that time I presumed the entrenchment tech stat would be a simple addition rather than a multiplier.
ok, will mess around it later when I have some time.

It definitely slows it down. If the multiplication is too high too quickly, you can consider lowering the base entrenchment of the hex types by like 1. This way the multiplication doesn't spiral out of control too quickly.

But in my experience, you can kinda wage war of movement until winter. Most nations dont get barbed wire before winter, except for Germany (Who usually attacks) and France (through events). But I think that's kinda historical anyway, the war did bog down there first and faster than elsewhere. Delaying pillbox and dugout techs might also be an option

How does Army Group Yildirim work? I got it in my MP game vs Wolf, but it seemed quite early, it was february 1916, and Falkenhayn wasn't actually dismissed or replaced yet (though the event removed the German one and replaced him with the Turkish version). And the army corps it spawns, they aren't upgraded (while the Dublin army corps from Irish rebellion is, I think it should be the other way around?)

Also the Tsar abdicated and I got smacked in the face with a US declaration of War the next turn... I guess I should be more careful with what I ask for :mrgreen:

Btw, some air commanders can only be added to fighters or zeppelins, do you know where this is located in the files?

I sent german subs to adriatic in MP, but because I had conquered some Russian ports with AH, 1 sub spawned near Sevastopol instead.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Umeu wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:06 am How does Army Group Yildirim work? I got it in my MP game vs Wolf, but it seemed quite early, it was february 1916, and Falkenhayn wasn't actually dismissed or replaced yet (though the event removed the German one and replaced him with the Turkish version). And the army corps it spawns, they aren't upgraded (while the Dublin army corps from Irish rebellion is, I think it should be the other way around?)
You must have missed the "Falkenhayn fired" event because "Yldirim" can't unlock without it.
Other prerequisite is Germany has researched "Assault Tactics" tech and there's a rail connection from Berlin to Constantinople.
Will add further condition: either "Kaiser Visit to Turkey" or year 1917+ or Baghdad captured by Entente.
Unlocks 6 turns after Falkenhayn was sacked.
Added free upgrade.

Btw, some air commanders can only be added to fighters or zeppelins, do you know where this is located in the files?
This really should stay as is, there are events tied to Zeppelin commanders being able to use only Zeppelins that would need to be rewritten otherwise.

I sent german subs to adriatic in MP, but because I had conquered some Russian ports with AH, 1 sub spawned near Sevastopol instead.
Will be fixed.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:15 pm
Umeu wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:06 am How does Army Group Yildirim work? I got it in my MP game vs Wolf, but it seemed quite early, it was february 1916, and Falkenhayn wasn't actually dismissed or replaced yet (though the event removed the German one and replaced him with the Turkish version). And the army corps it spawns, they aren't upgraded (while the Dublin army corps from Irish rebellion is, I think it should be the other way around?)
You must have missed the "Falkenhayn fired" event because "Yldirim" can't unlock without it.
Other prerequisite is Germany has researched "Assault Tactics" tech and there's a rail connection from Berlin to Constantinople.
Will add further condition: either "Kaiser Visit to Turkey" or year 1917+ or Baghdad captured by Entente.
Unlocks 6 turns after Falkenhayn was sacked.
Added free upgrade.

This really should stay as is, there are events tied to Zeppelin commanders being able to use only Zeppelins that would need to be rewritten otherwise.

Will be fixed.
ok, I must've missed it then. But yeah, some further conditions sound good.

As for zeppelins, don't want to change that. Just want to know how it works, but in the commander file it only specifies land/air/sea.

and thanks for fixing.

Btw, did you nerf serbian invasion event from 3 diplo points to 2? Or is it a diceroll and I've just gotten very lucky the previous times? In any case, fixing it at 3 might be a good consideration.

Full Russian mobilization doesn't actually unlock industrial warfare earlier. With focus, it unlocks on t11 whether Russia joins on t5 or later.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”