Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Umeu
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Potzblitz V21.1 MAR 6th 2023

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:28 am @Wolf: I've modified the events you mentioned to be more likely available in Aufmarsch Ost/Rupprecht Plan scenarios.

Added the "Entente Relief Offensive" event suggested by Umeu if CP plays "Offensive in the East": for 4 turns all French & British units receive a +4 combat bonus against German units but each attack will use up 1-10 French/British manpower. France gets either Flamethrower or Steel Helmet Tech unlocked.

Also added a separate "Latvian Riflemen Battalions" event and events for spawning Ottoman aircraft.

Will upload V22 later today, unless more issues/wishes need to be fixed/included.
I think 4 turns is too long at +4. Duration should probably be shorter (Artois and Champagne took only 1.5 month if you count in days, though it started in September and ended in November, so I think 2-3 turns would be better), or bonus smaller (in the end, the offensives failed, and +4 is pretty big bonus). Can try out a version, see how it feels, Attack bonuses seem hard to balance. Either too much quickly or so little they don't do anything. Maybe 2 turns by default, and up to 2 turns extra if the offensive is succesful (aka keeps conquering hexes)?

I have several events that can be added if you want to take a look at them, but you haven't replied to the list I provided. It also included event for Ottoman airplanes + a commander for them (can use that commander for your own event if you want).

Also have the commander for the Latvian riflemen added, as requested by Wolf XD so can send the png and description for him as well.

Other than that, events that aren't necessarily an overhaul like the US army events, there's the Renault light tank tech event, Ottoman XV corps, commander to go with the Austrian subs to adriatic and an event that ships the British and Belgian armored corps expeditionary forces to Russia (spawns 2 armored cars + commander, under British command still, so if Russia or Britain surrenders, the units leave the front)

other thoughts/observations I had:

unlimited sub warfare event should boost sub attack vs convoys because no longer asking to leave ship before shooting = more deadly attacks

does the benefit of Cede Tsingtao really live up to the penalty? (5 diplo + 10 morale) how long is the delay to the convoys? how often does the convoy come on average (for example, sweden is every 6 turns on average?)?

also, is the 2nd option of Battle cruiser mission worth it? compared to Goeben to med, which is really quite powerful. I took the Moltke to East Asia last time, and yes it spawned with Graf Spee, but to reach home, they basically have to go right through the channel or the English naval base... by the time they get there, their endurance and hitpoints are so low, the SMS moltke was sunk by a pre-dreadnought in 1 single attack. I had sent out my fleet to intercept, but Wolf was looking for my fleet and the Moltke, so it was really an impossible mission. I would've been better off if I had just built a battlecruiser. Goeben to Med can do damage to Africa army, bring Ottomans into the war quicker, it gives Ottomans a battelcruiser + commander + PP, it unlocks or boosts several good events for Ottomans as well.

nerf to Serbia Army invades is too harsh, getting bonus diplo points for invading needs to be returned. Removing the penalty was good. Unlocking Hotzendorf is only necessary/justified if the Serbian army invades too far, let's say more than 1-2 hexes into Austria.

German navy mutiny should be worse if Tirpitz plan was chosen and the fleet is STILL NOT used.

suez hexes need additional entrenchment, just like the hexes around the Verdun-Mainz area, that have higher entrenchment. Also, port Said probably just needs to be held be an arab garrison at all times. It can be reached by Turkish infantry and be in range of artillery in 1 turn),

manual says supply crisis can't start before end of winter, but in an MP game, it started 1st turn of 1915.

Italian failed offensive has been overcorrected, it barely happens anymore. Frequency of every 4-5 turns I think is fair, though if not too difficult, perhaps the event can also damage CP units, though not as much. A failed offensive is still an offensive and does damage to the enemy as well.

While lack of failed offensive makes Italy really strong in the long run, they're still easily overrun before they get up to steam. Perhaps 1 reserve corps should be turned into 1 army corps instead.

also interested to hear your thoughts on specialized commanders. I think it's a cool and easy way to add some flavor to each army. Since techs are the same for each nation, there's no real way for the armies to really differ from each other. But commanders for certain units that other nations don't have, can represent that these nations focused more on this type of weapon or fighting method. Germans already have submarine and zeppelin only commanders, since, they were the nation to extensively use them during the war. Entente was the alliance that put more into tanks, so I think tank commanders can give them an edge in that department, since now, Germany can have tanks that are just as good as the Entente ones. At the same time, Germany was the artillery master for most of the war, so an artillery only commander (Bruchmuller, of course) could give their artillery an edge wherever he shows up. It's really quite easy to target specific units.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Potzblitz V22.0 MAR 19th 2023

Post by Robotron »

Find below the list of changes for V22.

As always games already in progress can't be continued after applying the update. Remove all open challenges that were issued using V21.1

Summarization of changes for V22:

Germany:

- Moltke, Kluck, Bülow & Hausen can't be detached from their units until Germany is at war with either Belgium or Russia

- if "Italy proclaims neutrality" was played before by Entente and Entente did NOT play "Rush mobilize Russian army" then Italy will majorly swing to Entente if Germany preemptively attacks Russia

event: "Chaos at German High Command"
- available only in "Moltke-Schlieffen" scenario
- triggers as soon as any German army corps or artillery corps from the west is moved to the east while neither Belgium nor Russia are at war with CP
- Moltke resigns immediately
- all German units moved to the east until Russia declares war will suffer additional efficiency loss from rail movement, so they arrive in the east at yellow efficiency status
- as a compensation German commanders from the west won't suffer from the "Insubordination" event anymore that removes them from their units

- changed German morale loss from being blockaded while Entente receives convoys. Before the loss was determined by the year, now it is determined by the sum of convoys that reached Britain and France.

- fixed double manpower loss from playing "For the Fatherland"

- fixed crash if attaching Kronprinz to newly built army corps

*NEW* - "Bavarian Flying Squadron 304B" event spawns German fighter near Damascus and unlocks all anti-air techs researched by Germany for Turkey. Moving this unit north of Y-coordinate 42 will disband the unit (nice try though).

*NEW* - if CP has more INTEL on Britain than Entente then the event notifying about Graf Spee's breakout into the Atlantic will only be shown to the CP player

*NEW* - loss of either the German colony of Cameroon or East Africa permanently removes one of the two German convoys coming from the South Atlantic, same with the convoy from Narvik should Norway be attacked

Turkey

- removed spawning units if Turkey chooses to attack into the Caucasus before the "Bergmann Offensive" was triggered by Entente

- in singleplayer mode vs CP AI lowered Turkish susceptibility to "Mass Desertions"

*NEW* in singleplayer mode vs CP AI added spawning of Ottoman units in Mesopotamia

Russia

new event: "Scorched Earth"
- is available as an event for Entente if either Warsaw/Riga/Minsk/Kiev/Odessa were captured or "Russian Supply Crisis" was triggered, whatever comes first. It conveys the winter movement penalty for all CP units except Armored Cars, Trains & Tanks even during the summer season - and cumulative to winter efficiency loss in winter season - when moving on Russian hexes for 6 to 12 turns. The exact number of turns is randomly determined at the start of the match and can't be prematurely ended. Russia suffers 1 collapse point if a morale test is failed. Will be discarded after the end of the Russian Supply Crisis or start of February Revolution.

- Russia is only obliged to attack into East Prussia if neither Serbia has surrendered nor if Russia was preemptively attacked by CP nor if "Chaos at German High Command" was triggered by moving German troops to the east

- Warsaw receives an army corps in all scenarios and play modes - except in singleplayer vs CP AI

- raised Russian war effort to cover unit upkeep even if Russia joins earlier than turn 5

- in singleplayer vs Entente AI the "Russian Surprise Attack" now automatically triggers on turn 3 or turn 4 if "Rush mobilize Russian army" was played by AI and no counter-measures were played

*NEW* - Latvian Riflemen event, spawns understrength elite army corps

*NEW* fixed bug that allowed Russian Supply Crisis to start during winter season in early 1915

France

*NEW* Added the "Entente Relief Offensive" event suggested by Umeu if CP plays "Offensive in the East": for 3 turns all French & British units receive a +3 combat bonus against German units but each attack will use up 1-10 French/British manpower. France gets either Flamethrower or Steel Helmet Tech unlocked.

Britain

- if SMS Moltke was sent to the Pacific, the ANZAC event is delayed until either the first British attack on the German colonies in Africa was repulsed or if "German East Africa surrenders"
was triggered

- general Currie now exclusively unlocks only when playing the "Canadian Corps" event

Italy

*NEW* - one Reserve Corps was replaced with an Army Corps

Serbia

*NEW* - Serbia receives 2 diplo points upon "invading" AH
*NEW* Hötzendorf will only unlock for AH if the Serbian invasion covers 3 or more hexes

Miscellaneous

- introduced a new procedure to draw events from the events pool which is a mixture of random and deterministic methods

- the side that uses gas first gains the full +4 attack modifier for 2 turns, should the other side also have artillery equipped with gas it only receives +2 to attack during those 2 turns

- "Ultimatum to Belgium" removed from "Aufmarsch Ost" scenario

- raised efficiency of COUNTER-INTEL

*NEW* - lowered cost for railguns to 30PP because railguns are hampered by rail movement and have less shock value than normal arty

*NEW* - "Belgian Neutrality at stake" becomes available in 1915 once Entente has invested 35 INFLUENCE on Belgium

My verdict on dedicated commanders for tanks & artillery: those units are already strong enough, having them even more boosted by dedicated commanders is surely overpowered.
Last edited by Robotron on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolf001 »

Thanks Robotron! Will start playing the update tomorrow.
MidnightRider
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by MidnightRider »

ctgw-moltke-schlieffen-crash.zip
(7.3 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Turn-starting crash in V22.0
Moltke-Schlieffen
...For what it's worth, the game has gone down a path I haven't explored before; Russian early attack, Italy leaning hard toward CP (and I'm not sure why).
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V22.01 MAR 21st 2023

Post by Robotron »

...For what it's worth, the game has gone down a path I haven't explored before; Russian early attack, Italy leaning hard toward CP (and I'm not sure why).
Entente played "Rush mobilize Russian army" and failed to play "Italy proclaims Neutrality".
CP then failed to counter the Russian Rush Mobilization by neither playing "Organise Defense of Galicia" nor "German army redeploys".
Last edited by Robotron on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Started playing Moltke-Schlieffen Plan as the CP only at turn eight right now. The AI played The Rush Russian Mobilization event and I somehow got very lucky unlocking the Hindenburg event and getting victory at Tannenberg on the same turn. Good thing because I decided not to play Defense Planning or Redeploy events.

It is going to take me a little longer to finish a game now I'm very busy for the next few months.
MidnightRider

Post by MidnightRider »

I'm having a lot of fun with this mod; thanks for all of the work that you've put into it!

Just finished a Moltke-Schlieffen campaign as the CP vs AI.

I think the morale loss for Germany when a convoy gets through to England or France ramps up too far. (Is it even in the manual? I couldn't find it.) I decided to try a strategy of letting convoys through to avoid bringing the US in quickly, but over summer/fall of 1916 I found Germany's morale plummeting for no apparent reason, and there was no way to stop it until I went and read the code and found the escalating morale loss. (15 convoys > 100 total morale, kinda hard to survive. In my game, Germany had a hunger winter in 1915-16 and would have surrendered at convoy #13) I see the reason behind it (forces the CP player to try to break the blockade and/or sink convoys in 1915-16) but it feels a little too strong. Ironically, in this situation, when the US declares war, it kind of saves Germany from certain doom, because the escalating morale penalty for convoys goes away. :) [My suggestions: either cap the per-convoy loss at something like 8, or reduce/eliminate the effect if Germany's morale is low. e.g. "Cannot reduce German morale below 25".]

I got some crashes starting fairly early, in the code where german units in france are being counted (data.lua, around line 1090). I think it's possible somehow for a unit to get into a weird state such that it has no attributes (or in LUA-speak ... its table is empty, maybe?). I wrote this code to avoid the crash. (You're welcome to use it, though it doesn't solve the root problem of the unit getting into a weird state.)

Code: Select all

local germanyinfrancecounter = 0
	LogUi("Check German Units in France")
	for unit in germany.units do
		if pcall(function () foo = unit.hex.originalFaction.id end) then
			if 	unit.type == Unit.LAND
				and unit.hex.originalFaction.id == france.id then
				germanyinfrancecounter = germanyinfrancecounter +1
			end
		else
			LogUi("Exception thrown; ignoring unit")
		end
	end	
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Ah yes, a unit still in the production queue is getting checked for its hex, which is nil.

I agree that the morale hit on Germany for arriving Entente convoys is too high. I'll add a limit for the maximum morale drain and also remove the US DOW as it makes no sense the effect should stop if US join Entente.
Last edited by Robotron on Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MidnightRider

Post by MidnightRider »

In the Aufsmarch Ost scenario, when the entente plays the "Belgian Neutrality At Stake" event, the text implies that both sides can spend influence on Belgium now -- but as the CP player vs AI, if I try to spend influence on Belgium, I get the message "This country has already chosen its side", and it doesn't appear that the influence is applied.

I've also noticed that, in all scenarios, if (as CP vs AI) I apply influence to any country early on, I get the message saying that Italy cannot be influenced, but (if it's a country that you can apply influence to) the influence seems to be applied.
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V22.1 APR 3rd 2023

Post by Robotron »

New update V22.1

As always games already in progress can't be continued after applying the update. Remove all open challenges that were issued using earlier versions.

Changes:

- fixed messed up script for influencing other nations, especially when trying to influence Belgium after playing Belgian Neutrality at stake. Thanks go to MidnightRider for reporting that bug.
- fixed bug with incorrect PP cost displayed for repairs & upgrades if either War Raw Material Department or Tirpitz Plan events were played by CP
- Entente convoys arriving at British or French ports now also reduce Austrian and Italian (if joined CP) morale if Germany is blockaded: max. -10 morale per convoy arriving if GER/AH/IT morale is higher than 65
- added measures to clean up leftover neutral hexes after surrender of Belgium or Serbia to make sure any newly created neutral hexes don't clog up the front lines
- new event for Entente: Expand Armored Forces: France, Britain and US gain next Tank tech, if for either nation Light Tank Design tech gets unlocked this way, a free tank unit of that nation spawns at a French port
- lowered PP cost and production time for Tank Corps: 20PP, 3 turns
- Patriotic Movement event now raises morale by 2D6 (2-12) instead of 5 to make it more worthwhile
- Nail Men event raises all CP Scrap Collection and German War Loan events by 5-10 PP
- Scorched Earth event efficiency loss now only affects CP units entering newly captured Russian hexes, also added a popup message to inform CP player of end of Scorched Earth effects after 10-12 turns
- Graf Spee spawning point in Atlantic is now randomized
- ANZAC event further delayed for Entente if SMS Moltke was sent to the Pacific: ANZAC will probably appear in Egypt as late as 1916, thereby also delaying the Gallipoli Campaign.
- raised chance for Race to the Sea triggering on either alliance turns
- lowered chance for German Battlecruiser Raid to catastrophically fail
- lowered number of Senussi units spawned by Fires in the Desert event but now both Siwah and Dakhla are considered capitals for Senussi supply
- lowered chance for Revolt in Egypt
- if SMS Goeben arrives at Constantinople was triggered, 4 "aggressions" against Turkey must be made by Entente to unlock Holy War, also Holy War will be discarded after 3 turns if unlocked and not played before
- British Reserve Corps at Cairo in all scenarios to help with Suez defense
- slightly lowered effect of Phosgene gas tech (-1 to bombard)
- changed effect of Creeping Barrage tech (removed shock effect, +1 bombard)
- fixed Final Victory/Defeat Event now firing correctly

Enjoy!
Last edited by Robotron on Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MidnightRider

Re: Potzblitz V22.1 APR 3rd 2023

Post by MidnightRider »

Got a crash during "dodiploevents" at line 1266 in data.lua, playing entente vs CP AI
The Germans had succeeded at demanding passage, and the French invaded Belgium in response.
This is the first turn of 1915, and line 1266 is the one where influence is being compared, and the complaint is comparing a value vs "nil". So it seems that one of those two influence values was null.

Code: Select all

if belgium.luaData.caninfluence == 0 
			and belgium.alliance.id == 0
			and GetEvent("DOWbelgium") == 0	
			and GetEvent("Surrenderbelgium") == 0
			and germany.alliance.id == 2 
			and france.alliance.id == 1
			and russia.alliance.id == 1	
			and britain.alliance.id == 1 
			and ((entente.luaData.influence[6] > cp.luaData.influence[6] 
				and entente.luaData.influence[6] >= 35) or MatchType() == 2)
			and game.date.year >=  1915 
			and paris.alliance.id == 1 then

PutinEnt("BelgiumInfluence") 
	end
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V22.1a APR 10th 2023

Post by Robotron »

Fixed the bug:

Other changes:

- Germany, Austria and Italy (if joined CP) only suffer morale damage from arriving Entente convoys if blockaded and Food Shortage is actually in effect. Removed upper threshold for morale loss to compensate.

- CP units in Russia suffer slightly more efficiency loss when moving onto Russian hexes after Scorched Earth was played

@MidnightRider: next time you encounter a crash bug please provide the actual crash report from the log, just to make sure there is no doubt about what was going wrong, thanks.
Last edited by Robotron on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
OMGNOES
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Potzblitz V22.1a APR 10th 2023

Post by OMGNOES »

Enjoying this new release a lot.

Encountered a crash playing CP, when ending the turn after Turkey has just entered the war. I attached the savegame and the log file :)
Attachments
ctgw (2).zip
(159.14 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V22.1b APR 20th 2023

Post by Robotron »

(...)
Last edited by Robotron on Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMGNOES

Post by OMGNOES »

Robotron wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:09 am Perfect!

Find the bugfix in the attachment. Apply it just like a regular update.
Thanks Robotron!
OMGNOES

Post by OMGNOES »

Got a crash again. Crash seems to be related to naval movements. It already crashed a couple of times before but reloading the save seemed to work (until now). Also noticed the Gallipoli event still happened while I played the SMS Emden sunk event.
Attachments
ctgw (3).zip
(178.63 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V22.1c APR 21st 2023

Post by Robotron »

Thanks for reporting yet another issue and sorry for the inconvenience. :oops:

I believe you meant you played "HMS Hampshire sunk" which kills Lord Kitchener and should prevent Gallipoli from triggering?
Last edited by Robotron on Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMGNOES

Post by OMGNOES »

Robotron wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:45 pm Thanks for reporting yet another issue and sorry for the inconvenience. :oops:

I believe you meant you played "HMS Hampshire sunk" which kills Lord Kitchener and should prevent Gallipoli from triggering?
Yes, you are right. Sorry for confusing the events.
No problem, grateful for the work you have done and the countless hours of fun you have given me and others :D
GunnerGWJ

Post by GunnerGWJ »

Love the mod, thanks a ton for all of the effort that's clearly gone into it!

I made it to 1918 and encountered my first crash. I think it may actually be triggered by the game ending, but figured I'd still report in case it helps someone else. It's reproducing reliably after pressing end turn towards the end of the AI's moves.
Attachments
Potzblitz crash.zip
(179.34 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
GunnerGWJ

Post by GunnerGWJ »

Couple of other random questions:
1. Is there any way to check the morale/collapse points for the opposing side's factions? Curious how they're doing.

2. This may be an issue from the base game that I just forgot about (usually don't play Entente), but I noticed that German submarines seems to stay invisible after attacking my convoys. Is there any trick to being able to at least hit back against them after they attack my convoys? Things seem to work how I'd expect when subs attack my regular naval units and land unit transports.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”