ExCoB II - The Prophecy of Merlin: Concluded

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: ExCoB II - The Prophecy of Merlin: Ongoing

Post by tyronec »

For me the rules are fine as they are, losing the court is a severe penalty but it is not the end of the game for a faction as long as they can recover it.

If we are discussing how the rules could be changed for a future version of the campaign then I would have a couple of suggestions:
- remove the victory condition that the campaign ends when an army hits 1200. This is a bit random as it means a faction could win without accomplishing anything. Maybe eliminate the army ?
- reduce the points available to select the army lists at the start of the campaign, and don't allow allies for battles. This would mean that players would fight with much the same army for every battle and would seem to be a more historical approach rather than what we have in most competitions where players can customise their army according to the terrain and opponent.
- a lesser point but I think there are too many top quality Roman units for what was a society in collapse.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Armies falling below 1200 FP at the end of the round are eliminated per the rules already.

I agree the victory condition tied to an army being so removed is a bit strange. A kingdom having never fought might well win under such conditions as its armies would be at full strength compared to those who've been fighting and winning battles and gaining territory. Of course, as long as at least one other kingdom kept an army at full strength the game would go on. Simply keeping one army unengaged would make this victory condition virtually impossible to achieve by another kingdom.

I like the army design option; the 5 types maximum from the aux. list does force you to make some hard choices as all the light troops are aux. Thus, if you opt for some of the elite Romans, you're not going to be able to pick up as many lights.

I do agree it would be better to force players to play without allies as then your list choices would have more impact.

Karvon
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
anderarcos11
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by anderarcos11 »

Karvon wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:20 am Armies falling below 1200 FP at the end of the round are eliminated per the rules already.

I agree the victory condition tied to an army being so removed is a bit strange. A kingdom having never fought might well win under such conditions as its armies would be at full strength compared to those who've been fighting and winning battles and gaining territory. Of course, as long as at least one other kingdom kept an army at full strength the game would go on. Simply keeping one army unengaged would make this victory condition virtually impossible to achieve by another kingdom.

I like the army design option; the 5 types maximum from the aux. list does force you to make some hard choices as all the light troops are aux. Thus, if you opt for some of the elite Romans, you're not going to be able to pick up as many lights.

I do agree it would be better to force players to play without allies as then your list choices would have more impact.

Karvon
Perhaps more importance could be given to conquests. For example, with a morale attribute that increases after winning a battle, or giving FPs for controlled cities or territories. Because it is true and it is seen in this game, that the most passive kingdom is the one that has the possibility of winning. Although it also reflects that the other kingdoms are wearing themselves out with war while this kingdom has all its fresh armies. In any case, I don't know if it is convenient to make changes once it has started.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Round 6: Movement instructions

Post by kronenblatt »

kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
kronenblatt

Round 6: Executed movements

Post by kronenblatt »

Please let me know whether in line with your instructions and intentions. And please keep movement costs and structure ZoCs in mind.

kronenblatt

Round 6: battle resolution

Post by kronenblatt »

Three engagements, as part of two battles, to be fought this round.

Battle 1
1.1 Army 2 of The East (Caesaromagus, Warg1, 1448 = 1548 - 60 FP - 40 FP for river) versus Army 10 of The North (Banovallum, carpenkm, 1520 = 1600 - 60 FP - 20 FP from ruins). North European Hilly. carpenkm sets up.

Battle 2
2.1 Army 21 of The South (Portus Ardurni, SpeedyCM, 1469 = 1589 - 120 FP) versus Army 25 of The West (Gobannium, Kashtronomical, 1540 = 1600 - 60 FP). North European Hilly. SpeedyCM sets up.
2.2 Army 21 of The South (Portus Ardurni, SpeedyCM, 1469 = 1589 - 120 FP) versus Army 26 of The West (Gobannium, Kashtronomical, 1368 = 1428 - 60 FP). North European Hilly. SpeedyCM sets up.

Please note

The engagements will in Field of Glory II: Ancients be set up as follows:
  • ExCoB II v1 module (downloaded in-game).
  • Open Battle scenario.
  • 24 turns turn limit.
  • Wide (40 x 32) map size.
  • Main armies: The army of a fiefdom (i.e., controlled by a specific player, a “Knight") always uses its fiefdom's army list as its main army, independent of whether the Stronghold of such fiefdom is controlled by its kingdom or not.
  • Allies: Armies within the same kingdom can all (if they want to) use each other's fiefdom army lists as allies, provided that the Stronghold of that fiefdom is controlled by the kingdom. (An army can not use the fiefdom army list from another kingdom as allies, even if controlling the Stronghold of that kingdom.)
  • The player having spent the fewest MP that round normally sets up the engagement in-game, after having received information from his opponent which allies (if any) he'll be using.
  • The engagement to be concluded within a four-week period, i.e., by March 13 at the latest.
  • The winner, or the player having incurred the fewest casualties, reports the results in this thread.
Outcomes of battles and engagements
  • The results of the individual outcomes of all the engagements within one and the same battle will determine the total outcome of the battle, which in turn will affect whether control of structures is changed and armies are moved from the locations.
  • A kingdom and all its armies involved in that battle are considered to have won a battle against an enemy kingdom if at least one of the kingdom's engagements in that battle is won and none are lost, with the enemy kingdom (and all its armies involved) in that battle then considered to have lost the battle. If there is no winner and hence no loser of a battle, the battle is considered to be a draw for the involved kingdoms and armies.

tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

Should Army 10 have a -20 for being within 1 hex of Alea Castra ?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

tyronec wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:22 pm Should Army 10 have a -20 for being within 1 hex of Alea Castra ?
Yes, that's true actually. I didn't really mean to have these "haunted" ruin penalties in there anymore (removed them in ExCoB I), but since they're in the rules, they're applicable. Thanks for pointing out, Tyrone.

carpenkm
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by carpenkm »

So do i still have the -20 penalty?

Warg1 - do you want to call in allies?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

carpenkm wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:27 pm So do i still have the -20 penalty?
Yes.

carpenkm

Post by carpenkm »

1.1 Army 2 of The East (Caesaromagus, Warg1, 1448 = 1548 - 60 FP - 40 FP for river) versus Army 10 of The North (Banovallum, carpenkm, 1520 = 1600 - 60 FP - 20 FP from ruins). North European Hilly. carpenkm sets up.

The North win 53 - 26

A really odd battle of warband random double drops and fragmentation. The East were very unlucky at times and rapid collapses and random cavalry charges were the order of the day. Well played Warg you were robbed!
Kashtronomical
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Kashtronomical »

2.1 Army 21 of The South (Portus Ardurni, SpeedyCM, 1469 = 1589 - 120 FP) versus Army 25 of The West (Gobannium, Kashtronomical, 1540 = 1600 - 60 FP). North European Hilly. SpeedyCM sets up.

The West wins 65-56 with 1 turn remaining. The West elects to move into the hex occupied by the South.

This was an absolute slugfest that started with a standoff on 2 hills. The West maneuvered towards the weaker right flank of the South and tied some forces up during their retreat. The South finally decided to charge down their hill supported by a fierce cavalry charge from their left flank that punctured the West's defensive line. At the end skirmishes littered the battlefield all over and both sides were one break away from winning or losing.

GG Speedy!
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Kashtronomical wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:24 am 2.1 Army 21 of The South (Portus Ardurni, SpeedyCM, 1469 = 1589 - 120 FP) versus Army 25 of The West (Gobannium, Kashtronomical, 1540 = 1600 - 60 FP). North European Hilly. SpeedyCM sets up.

The West wins 65-56 with 1 turn remaining. The West elects to move into the hex occupied by the South.

This was an absolute slugfest that started with a standoff on 2 hills. The West maneuvered towards the weaker right flank of the South and tied some forces up during their retreat. The South finally decided to charge down their hill supported by a fierce cavalry charge from their left flank that punctured the West's defensive line. At the end skirmishes littered the battlefield all over and both sides were one break away from winning or losing.

GG Speedy!
Thanks for report, Kash! However, the battle as a whole (and any subsequent advances, etc.) will be determined from the outcome of its other engagement (2.2) as well. How's that one progressing?

Battle 2
2.1 Army 21 of The South (Portus Ardurni, SpeedyCM, 1469 = 1589 - 120 FP) versus Army 25 of The West (Gobannium, Kashtronomical, 1540 = 1600 - 60 FP).
2.2 Army 21 of The South (Portus Ardurni, SpeedyCM, 1469 = 1589 - 120 FP) versus Army 26 of The West (Gobannium, Kashtronomical, 1368 = 1428 - 60 FP).

Kashtronomical
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Kashtronomical »

Ah yes, I just reread the rules. I lost the other battle, so the overall outcome is a draw. I elect to move both my armies due North 2 hexes.

For sake of convenience I'll go ahead and post the result of the other battle here as well:

2.2 Army 21 of The South (Portus Ardurni, SpeedyCM, 1469 = 1589 - 120 FP) versus Army 26 of The West (Gobannium, Kashtronomical, 1368 = 1428 - 60 FP). North European Hilly. SpeedyCM sets up.

The South wins 53-23.

The West tried to make a defensive stand on a hill skirted by a marsh and forest. The South demonstrated an effective assault taking advantage of exposed flanks from pushbacks and causing a quick series of breaks to secure the victory.
kronenblatt

Round 6: Concluded battles

Post by kronenblatt »

Battle 1
=> carpenkm wins 53-26.
=> Northern battle victory.

Battle 2
=> Kashtronomical wins 65-56.
=> SpeedyCM wins 53-23.
=> Overall battle draw.

kronenblatt

Round 7: Order giving

Post by kronenblatt »

Time has come for round 7's order giving and movement instructions and the 12 MP each of your armies have.

Please send to me through replying to my PM by March 20 (9 PM, Swedish time) at the latest, and just as a simple sequence of individual moves (e.g., 2 4 2 6 0 6), with no other symbols in between, only blanks (for easy copy-pasting by the administrator). I will not open the PMs from any of the factions other than my own until I've published the movement instructions of the armies of The North.

And please check up on your team members: if needed, please submit moves on their behalf as well, ideally in the same PM.

For details, please check Giving orders and Movement in the RULES.

Any questions? Please ask them in the campaign thread, for everyone else to see question and answer.

Don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. So let's be generous and accommodating. This is for fun, after all! :)

kronenblatt

Round 7: Executed moves

Post by kronenblatt »

Please let me know whether this is in line with your instructions and intentions. As mentioned, I unfortunately received none from RedPossum (army 19), Kashtronomical (armies 25 and 26), and Triarii (army 29). Hope that they are ok, and safe and sound.

SpeedyCM

Post by SpeedyCM »

I believe my Army 20 should be one hex to the north of where you have it, I'm guessing you did its last move as an 8 instead of the 10.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

SpeedyCM wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:33 am I believe my Army 20 should be one hex to the north of where you have it, I'm guessing you did its last move as an 8 instead of the 10.
True. Thanks for pointing out: will amend. EDIT: now amended above and in second post of this thread.

kronenblatt

Round 7: battle resolution

Post by kronenblatt »

Four engagements, as part of three battles, to be fought this round.

Battle 1
1.1 Army 3 of The East (Gariannonum, dragmio, 1540 = 1600 - 60 FP) versus Army 13 of The North (Olenacum, kronenblatt, 1540 = 1600 - 60 FP). North European Agricultural. kronenblatt sets up.

Battle 2
2.1 Army 28 of The West (Magnis, Karvon, 1500 = 1600 - 60 FP - 40 FP from river) versus Army 9 of The North (Banovallum, carpenkm, 1580 = 1600 - 60 FP + 40 FP from fort). North European Hilly. carpenkm sets up.

Battle 3
3.1 Army 17 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39, 1481 = 1581 - 60 FP - 40 FP from river) versus Army 27 of The West (Magnis, Karvon, 1467 = 1587 - 120 FP). North European Hilly. Karvon sets up.
3.2 Army 18 of The South (Anderida, Aetius39, 1257 = 1317 - 60 FP) versus Army 27 of The West (Magnis, Karvon, 1467 = 1587 - 120 FP). North European Hilly. Karvon sets up.

Please note

The engagements will in Field of Glory II: Ancients be set up as follows:
  • ExCoB II v1 module (downloaded in-game).
  • Open Battle scenario.
  • 24 turns turn limit.
  • Wide (40 x 32) map size.
  • Main armies: The army of a fiefdom (i.e., controlled by a specific player, a “Knight") always uses its fiefdom's army list as its main army, independent of whether the Stronghold of such fiefdom is controlled by its kingdom or not.
  • Allies: No allies are allowed.
  • The player having spent the fewest MP that round normally sets up the engagement in-game, after having received information from his opponent which allies (if any) he'll be using.
  • The engagement to be concluded within a four-week period, i.e., by April 19 at the latest.
  • The winner, or the player having incurred the fewest casualties, reports the results in this thread.
Outcomes of battles and engagements
  • The results of the individual outcomes of all the engagements within one and the same battle will determine the total outcome of the battle, which in turn will affect whether control of structures is changed and armies are moved from the locations.
  • A kingdom and all its armies involved in that battle are considered to have won a battle against an enemy kingdom if at least one of the kingdom's engagements in that battle is won and none are lost, with the enemy kingdom (and all its armies involved) in that battle then considered to have lost the battle. If there is no winner and hence no loser of a battle, the battle is considered to be a draw for the involved kingdoms and armies.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”