Tibetan Turmoil

KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Tibetan Turmoil

Post by KiwiWarlord »

GDod wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 pm Never mind.. we are now wiser and better equipped to engineer more effective campaigns in the future.[/i]
Great to read this sentence Gavin :D :D :D
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

AlexDetrojan wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:06 pm ... As a possible suggestion for a new campaign, I was thinking the Wokou pirates and Koxinga's pirate army. They(the Wokou) basically fight against everybody, so choice of armies would be good. Just my two cents worth. 🙂
I'll have a look into it Alex.

In the meantime... In the dying days of Tibetan independence, the Prince of Tsang repulsed the Tibetan Lord Norbu Zangpo's land grab. Tsaparanga remains a province of Tsang.
Tibetan Map 19.gif
Tibetan Map 19.gif (348.61 KiB) Viewed 320 times
PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

Gavin, thanks for taking the time to organise the event for us, it is always good to have an excuse to play.

A thought for a future event if we are concerned one side has an advantage would be switch rounds each side. So round 1 would be for province A with the two teams playing for control of that province. the side winning the most games would gain it. In round 2 we could play for control of Province B with both teams of players taking the opposite side in the conflict so getting to use both armies in the event.

I was surprised the Mongols did as well as they did in the Tibetan Turmoil. If you read the SJ forum posts there is often a whinge that bow cavalry armies do not do well in the game as they are costly and can't get to grips with infantry. The big advantage the Western Mongols had in the period we played was that have dismounted units so they are actually quite flexible; you can load up with infantry, or cavalry, or have a balanced force. I tended to take all the cheap dismounted troops I could and them go for more horses or the superior archers on the basis of the terrain on the battlefield. Lascar and I have started a game with sides reversed and he went for a full cavalry Mongol army, however he lost some units to a flanking march so I am not sure the result will be a useful comparison with my foot heavy approach.

Just before the games began I played ahuyton's Tibetan Lords and got thrashed. I tried to shoot it out with his matchlockmen and got shot to pieces but I did learn a valuable lesson, the Mongol foot are also good in melee, they have the swordsmen ability that the Tibetan Lord's foot lack and getting the right mix of the shooting and melees is important. They always seemed to be outnumbered but they did have quality (superior light cavalry is that really necessary?). Although the cavalry lack lances as they are all bowmen they can outshoot the Tibetans and evade when charged. The Tibetan cavalry are much easier to fix and then flank attack. I am surprised Snuggles rates the Tibetan Lords so highly perhaps he hasn't tried them against the Western Mongols.
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Challenge up for KiwiWarlord re: Wokou test game. Pw: Brian
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

AlexDetrojan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:53 pm Challenge up for KiwiWarlord re: Wokou test game. Pw: Brian
Anyone else interested come and join Alex & I for a Wokou work out
AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

👍
fybyyn
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by fybyyn »

After the battle for Samaná, the Tibetans reconquered their lands :)
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Congratulations Lobsang Gyatso (Fybyyn). A true prince of Tibet.
Tibetan Map 20.gif
Tibetan Map 20.gif (351.07 KiB) Viewed 237 times
An updated final count with one battle to conclude.
Final Province Count.png
Final Province Count.png (45.44 KiB) Viewed 237 times
PeterThePainter

Post by PeterThePainter »

Purig has been retained by the Western Mongols.

The son of Donyo Dorje bravely led his Tribal rebels against the Mongols of Erinchin Lobsang Tayiji in an attempt to recover the lost province of Purig. The Tribal rebels withered under the rain of arrows fleeing the battlefield after 40% of their force was routed whilst only 8% of the Mongols had fled. Well played to Alex.

Thank you Gavin for organising everything.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

PeterThePainter wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:16 pm Purig has been retained by the Western Mongols.

The son of Donyo Dorje bravely led his Tribal rebels against the Mongols of Erinchin Lobsang Tayiji in an attempt to recover the lost province of Purig. The Tribal rebels withered under the rain of arrows fleeing the battlefield after 40% of their force was routed whilst only 8% of the Mongols had fled. Well played to Alex.

Thank you Gavin for organising everything.
My pleasure. And so ends Tibetan independence for the next 800 years! From the first confirmed invasion of Tibet by the Mongol general Doorda Darkhan in 1240, a campaign of 30,000 troops that resulted in 500 casualties, to today.
Tibetan Map 21.gif
Tibetan Map 21.gif (353.24 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Tournaments & Leagues”