OoB Open Tournament - February 2023

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: OoB Open Tournament - February 2023

Post by Celeborn »

I think scoring by wins/losses is worth a try, if for no other reason than it will eliminate the incentive to engage in suicidal behavior because it will score points (which I am as guilty of as the next person)

I also continue to support invitationals or other formats that reduce the likelihood of ghosting...

Shards wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:22 am Doing some experimenting with Data from this Tournament. The below is what the final tournament table would have looked like if:

- First Sort was on Wins
- Then Draws
- Then Points Scored

So much more like a sporting tournament league table where it's very much about having more points than your opponent rather than just scoring as many points as possible. You'd have to be very clear to users which sort of tournament they were playing in, but wondered what people thought of the idea

Screenshot 2023-03-27 121417.png
Screenshot 2023-03-27 121509.png
conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by conboy »

I would like to try it that way - scoring by wins/losses.
The way it is in the table is very informative and I'd like that better.
Thanks again for a very good tournament, Shards!

conboy
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

They're very much two different types of tournament, that I expect will promote two different styles of play.

We're not quite ready yet to roll the other style out yet but I'd certainly be interested to try a tournament where thinking about "winning" on points is more important than "just get points however you can".
Netballman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Netballman »

But if the position decider for equal numbers of wins is then still ultimately points....?
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Netballman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:35 am But if the position decider for equal numbers of wins is then still ultimately points....?
At the moment, yes. But we're also working on an improvement to the Bye point scorings system that might allow us to use Points Difference instead (which is a better indicator of "margin of victory").

Byes are currently 90 to zero, so rather make a mess of that stat!
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AdmiralYamamoto »

Using win/loss in tournaments is an interesting thought but I think you need a greater variation than just 1 or 0. You might want to consider creating some level of victory and defeats. I suggest categories like Total Victory, Major Victory, Minor Victory, Draw, Minor Defeat, Major Defeat and Complete Defeat. With these categories you would earn from 0 to 6 points per game. This gives a much larger gradation of the results so that total victory points becomes less important as the tie breaker. Without something like this then a player who wins by 1 point gets the same results as someone who doubles up his opponents score.

One issue with this concept is how to determine the levels of victory or defeat. I would think it would need to be some percentage difference in victory points. Maybe something like if you beat someone by 10% you earn a Minor Victory, 20% earns a major Victory and 30% earns a total victory. We would need to analyze some previous tournament results to see what might be a reasonable breakdown for these levels.

Let me know what you guys think about this concept.
Admiral Yamamoto
conboy

Post by conboy »

AdmiralYamamoto said:
I suggest categories like Total Victory, Major Victory, Minor Victory, Draw, Minor Defeat, Major Defeat and Complete Defeat. With these categories you would earn from 0 to 6 points per game.
Sounds like a lot of head-scratching, high arithmetic to me.
I like the way Shards scored the last tournament as displayed on the table he presented. There is still a motivation to get higher scores, in that it separates the players in the number of wins bands.
I don't like the idea of running up scores very much (I'm not good at it, for one thing!) So if we keep it simple, a win is a win, a loss is a loss, a draw is a draw. In my way of reckoning, anyway. I really like the scoring method of the group rounds in the world cup, but draws in this game are quite rare.

conboy
Netballman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Netballman »

AdmiralYamamoto wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:10 pm Let me know what you guys think about this concept.
Very much as I mentioned, and I'm happier with something like this.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi, Beta version for Multiplayer testing is now available here: https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=719

Free for all to access, but you'll need to use the Steam version of the game for the moment

The next OOB tournament will probably be a mini tournament that uses this version of the game (and will be pseudo-invite only as I won't publicise it nor will it be available on the website front page)

Please do test this version of the game out!

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”