Low Figures for Multiplayer Mode

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Low Figures for Multiplayer Mode

Post by SimonLancaster »

I have often heard this statement that "only around 5% of players play multiplayer." Surely this kind of statistic is skewed by players who just don't play the game any more. There is the % that give up on the game as it isn't for them after 2-3 hours. Then there are the players who only play 10-20 hours or so. If we check out Steam library there are lots of games we just don't play any more and we clocked up within this range.

For players who play consistently and regularly the multiplayer mode must be very popular, I would think!
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Low Figures for Multiplayer Mode

Post by pipfromslitherine »

All our data (from both our games, and from games we worked on pre-Slitherine) point to the fact that very small %s of player (10-20%) will EVER push the MP mode button from the main menu, even once. The vast majority of players (for the average game, of course) have no interest in playing MP. It's a little different these days, and we work hard to make our MP easy to play, and try to ensure a good environment. And MP players are often boosters for the game as a whole, but it's definitely a lot of work for a small % of the playerbase.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

10-20% seems more believable.

w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

I play 75% MP with friends and 25% solitaire.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Ray552
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Ray552 »

w_michael wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:21 pm I play 75% MP with friends and 25% solitaire.
Same with me - most of my solitaire games are test-driving army lists before sparring with my friends.
pipfromslitherine wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:04 pm ...but it's definitely a lot of work for a small % of the playerbase.
Thanks for the work you guys put into the MP experience.
colonelflag
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by colonelflag »

There is no Multiplayer Campaing mode is there ?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

colonelflag wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:08 am There is no Multiplayer Campaing mode is there ?
Sadly not.
Richard Bodley Scott

nikolascc
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by nikolascc »

My friend and I would play this game sooo much if it had live multiplayer. We don't like getting booted back to the menu between turns.
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

For me, live multiplayer for this game is not really practical. A turn can take 6-10 mins, especially in the middle of a game. I play a game called Chaos Reborn and with just a handful of figures we can play with 1-min timers. Live games are possible (although even then if 4-6 players are playing then waiting can be tedious).

I think these games are much better for PBEM. Saying that, I think there is a hotseat option on Steam for live play that others may be able to recommend..

w_michael

Post by w_michael »

Live MP is not practical for me. My regular opponent is in a different time zone, so PBEM+ works great for us. I also don't have to coordinate our schedules. If your friend lives close by, then try a hotseat game.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Dux Limitis »

nikolascc wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:20 pm My friend and I would play this game sooo much if it had live multiplayer. We don't like getting booted back to the menu between turns.
I think that is a must, whenever I'm playing with my friend, I have to notice him through social media that I have finished my turn, and he also has to do the same to me. While waiting in his turn, I have to do some other things to kill time, when he finally finished his turn, I also have to watch the replay, It's a total waste of time. We're living in the same timezone but in different places. A real-time multiplayer system will make it easier, and many new Slitherine-published games already have the real-time multiplayer system(but also kept the PBEM system for those who need it)so I think it's not too hard for the devs.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

Dux Limitis wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:40 am … whenever I'm playing with my friend, I have to notice him through social media that I have finished my turn, and he also has to do the same to me…
The social media: Would that be Discord or some other online chat system?
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:34 am
Dux Limitis wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:40 am … whenever I'm playing with my friend, I have to notice him through social media that I have finished my turn, and he also has to do the same to me…
The social media: Would that be Discord or some other online chat system?
I'm using the LINE because I also use it for IRL business, but sometimes I use the Discord too.

Return to “Field of Glory II”