FOG2 v1.6.6 update is now available - Patch Notes

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

FOG2 v1.6.6 update is now available - Patch Notes

Post by rbodleyscott »

The version 1.6.6 Field of Glory game update is now available. The STEAM and GOG versions should update automatically.

If the auto-update button on the standalone launcher does not work for you, you can download the updater here:

https://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/FieldOf ... v1.6.6.zip

Version 1.6.6 Patch Notes

• Manual:
  • o English EBOOK and printer friendly manual fully updated with all changes since original game release.
• MP Login and user names:
  • o FOG2 MP Login will now accept usernames up to 32 characters long (was previously 16), and combined Slitherine/Matrix account creation has been corrected accordingly – it previously accepted usernames up to 64 characters long. This caused some tournament battles not to function if one of the players signed up to the tournament with a username longer than 16 characters.
    o If your current username is longer than 32 characters, it will not be changed automatically, but please email support@slitherine.co.uk about changing it to a shorter version.
• Custom Battles:
  • o New scenario types added:
    •  Own Side Defending
       Enemy Defending
       Ambush (Own)
       Ambush (Enemy)
       Open Battle (Enemy Overconfident) (SP only)
    o These new scenario types can happen in Quick Battles and Sandbox Campaigns.
    o Increased storage area for unit pre-deployment in map border. This is necessary for Very Large armies to fight on very narrow maps (using Advanced Options to reduce the map width to much narrower than the recommended minimum for the army size), otherwise the previous storage area was exceeded and units were culled from the lists so the available maxima in game did not match the number in the preview.
• Map Types:
  • o Added Mediterranean, North European, Middle Eastern and Tropical Plains.
    o These have been added (10% chance) to Pot Luck terrain selection in Custom Battles. (Agricultural reduced from 60% to 50% chance).
• Fight Now!
  • o Will now pick a quick battle at random from the main game or any DLC that you own.
• Quick Battles:
  • o In addition to the individual DLC Quick Battles modules, there is now an “All Quick Battles” module that includes all Quick Battles from all DLCs. (You still need to own a DLC to access battles from it.)
    o Added Macedonian vs Greek (x2), Macedonian vs Galatian, Greek vs Galatian and Macedonian vs Spartan battles to Quick Battles (Immortal Fire and All Quick Battles)
• Gameplay:
  • o Pike basic POA is no longer dependent on having 3 full ranks of models. It remains 100 POA regardless of losses. Deep Pike POA still degrades as the 4th rank falls.
    o Heavy Chariots now get +50 POA in Impact and Melee vs steady Defensive and Offensive spearmen. (Unless these are behind an obstacle). Not against steady pikes.
    o Routers now disperse if they have not rallied after 3 consecutive rout moves. (it was previously 5). As there is no chance to rally after the initial rout move, this effectively reduces the number of turns in which routers who have outdistanced pursuit get a chance to rally from 4 to 2, and consequently halves the overall chance of routed troops rallying. (The reduction is actually more than that, as routing units that have been pursued further than the normal permitted number of turns of rout – see below - no longer get a last chance to rally when the pursuers stop pursuing).
    o Note that this also reduces the distance away from the main battle that routers can travel and still rally. However, it does not reduce the distance that pursuers can pursue because routers do not disperse while they are being actively pursued. (Precisely so that pursuers do have the opportunity to pursue long distances). So this change intentionally won't speed up the process of getting units that pursued back into the action. When the pursuers do finally stop pursuing, if the routers have reached or exceeded the normal number of rout moves, they will disperse next turn without any opportunity to rally.
    o If a general joins a routing unit that is not being actively pursued, and is not autobroken, it will take an immediate rally test. Of course if it does not rally then, or in any subsequent rally test, the general will be lost when the unit Disperses.
    o Generals now prevented from joining routed units that are autobroken or being actively pursued.
    o Unmanoeuvrable units are now allowed to make a single square diagonal move if the only reason for being unable to do so is the cost of turning 45 degrees. This helps to avoid AI units getting stuck.
    o The check for whether a Falling Back unit must take a Cohesion Test now ignores enemy 45 degree turns that would not prevent a charge. (Because charges can include a free 45 degree turn even for Unmanoeuvrable or out of command range troops).
    o Note also that the enemy unit does not actually have to be able to charge, just to be non-routing non-light troops, and in a position where it could charge if no other units were present. (Fall Back cohesion tests are intended to simulate irrational panic, not logical thought).
    o Heavy Artillery can no longer be used in Multiplayer Custom Battles except in “Own Side Defending” or “Enemy Side Defending” scenarios.
    o Bow-armed light chariots now count as close combat troops for the purpose of triggering the non-combat bowmen shooting malus when within 2 squares. (It was an oversight that they did not previously do so).
• AI:
  • o AI will now advance Heavy Artillery into range.
    o Removed 90% maximum for AI units’ chance of charging. Previously (to simulate stupid unit commanders) they had at least a 10% chance of not charging, however good the odds.
• UI:
  • o Campaigns and Epic Battle modules now listed in alphabetical order, with user-created content listed at the end and asterisked.
    o Map Types now listed in alphabetical order in Custom Battle set up screen.
    o Added “Can Form Square” to unit panels for units with that ability.
    o Added Cursor Lock Enable/Disable to Options. The Default is Disabled.
    o Enabling Cursor Lock locks the mouse cursor to the game window, which should allow moving the mouse cursor to the edge of the game window to move the map reliably when using windows smaller than the full screen resolution, or other custom setups.
    o The Shadows options have been moved to the More Options page to make room.
• Models and Units:
  • o Chariot units (at default scale) represent 50 chariots. Heavy Chariot crews ranged from 2 to 4 men in different armies and at different times. To minimise confusion, TotalMen in Heavy Chariot units standardised to 150 men.
    o Pseudocomitatenses (previously only available as a campaign upgrade) now have their own textures.
    o Added Muslim Light Horse Archers model.
    o Thracians with rhomphaia increased to “Above Average” Quality 125 (where Average is 100 and Superior is 200), giving them +12 POA. Cost increased accordingly.
• Unit Costs:
  • o Reduced cost of bow chariots by 4 points per unit:
    •  Superior Heavy Chariots Bow from 64 to 60.
       Superior Light Chariots Bow from 48 to 44.
       Above Average (150) Light Chariots Bow from 42 to 38.
       Average Light Chariots Bow from 36 to 32.
    o Reduced cost of Bow-armed Cavalry and Camelry by 2 per unit (1 for 50% bow units):
    •  Superior Armoured Bow, Sword from 66 to 64.
       Above Average (125) Armoured Bow, Sword from 52 to 50.
       Superior Protected Bow, Sword from 56 to 54.
       Average Protected Bow, Sword from 44 to 42.
       Average Unprotected Bow, Sword from 40 to 38.
       Rhoxolani/Cimmerian noble Cavalry from 52 to 51.
       Superior Byzantine Lancers, 50% Bow from 72 to 71.
       Above Average (125) Byzantine Lancers, 50% Bow from 54 to 53
       Byzantine Klibanophoroi from 84 to 83
       Superior Assyrian-style Armoured Cavalry from 68 to 67
       Average Assyrian-style Armoured Cavalry from 48 to 47
       Average Assyrian-style Protected Cavalry from 40 to 39
       Arab Camelry from 48 to 46.
       Improvised Camelry from 56 to 54.
    o Reduced cost of Bow-armed Light Horse by 4 per unit:
    •  Unprotected, Average, Bow from 32 to 28.
       Unprotected, Average, Bow, sword from 40 to 36.
       Unprotected, Superior, Bow, Sword from 48 to 44.
       Byzantine flankers from 48 to 44.
    o Increased cost of sling:
    •  Increased cost of Average slingers from 24 to 27.
       Increased cost of Balearic slingers from 33 to 36.
    o Reduced cost of Average Warbands and Deep Spearmen. (But not Superior or Raw as they are cost-effective already):
    •  Reduced cost of Average Protected Warbands from 58 to 55.
       Reduced cost of Pictish Spearmen from 54 to 51.
    o Thracians with Rhomphaia increased from 42 to 45 because of increase in quality – see above.
    o Cost of Superior Protected Heavy Foot Offensive Spearmen increased. Above Average increased proportionately. Note that the unit costs are higher than in FOG2 Medieval, because Offensive Spearmen capability is cheaper in Medieval because of the changes to balance resulting from the addition of Knights to the game.
    •  Veteran Muslim Spearmen raised from 54 to 60.
       (Drilled) Veteran Hoplites raised from 60 to 66.
       Dismounted Dark Age Cavalry raised from 48 to 51
       Dismounted Dark Age Lancers raised from 48 to 51
• Army Lists:
  • o Added Heavy Chariots (probably ex-Babylonian) to Achaemenid Persian 545 to 481 BC army list.
    o Pseudocomitatenses added to appropriate late Roman lists – 285-312, 313-378 and 379-424 AD.
    o Removed mandatory Mercenary hoplites from Greek 460-281 BC, Spartan 460-281 BC, and Kyrenean 460-322 BC lists, and increased Citizen Hoplites in the first two, so army without any mercenaries can be fielded.
    o Added Muslim Light Horse Archers to Andalusian list.
• Autodeployment:
  • o Light infantry less likely to be autodeployed behind mountains on mountainous maps.
• Editor:
  • o Editor now displays 3D depiction of unit model in Unit List tooltip.
    o SideID selection greatly improved.
• Hotseat:
  • o In Custom Battles, if you deploy the Side B army using hotseat mode prior to switching hotseat mode off and letting the AI control the Side B army, the game will now automatically reassign the units to the appropriate AI teams to allow the AI to work correctly.
    o Previously, if the player redeployed Side B units without re-assigning them to the teams expected by the AI, AI functioning could be significantly impaired.
• Bug Fixes:
  • o Fixed bug whereby Heavy Chariots and Scythed Chariots only got +100 instead of +150 and +250 respectively vs non-steady pikes, offensive spearmen and defensive spearmen.
    o Fixed evade decision logic bug that took into account possible flank attacks by other enemy units, but not possible rear attacks.
    o Fixed campaign bug that could allow player army to go into negative points balance in reinforcements scenario.
    o Made bolts show when light bolt-shooters fire.
    o Fixed ghilman animations to use shield in close combat.
    o Fixed bug that could sometimes cause force selection overlay to stay on screen after force selection is done.
    o Fixed bug that could cause Editor-created reinforcement messages to crash the game.
    o Fixed bug that could occasionally cause double corner slope overlays to appear on the flat top of height 200 hills.
Richard Bodley Scott

MarkShot
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: FOG2 v1.6.6 update is now available - Patch Notes

Post by MarkShot »

Richard,

Thank you for the patch. Any idea if it is compatible with Mod Rise of AI 3.1? Thanks.

PS: Very nice to see new content and features being added to this older title. This was the game that first convinced me that TBS could be a rich and worthwhile experiences and still move along at a good clip. Besides building an intriguing system, your UI is very nicely configurable for fast play or super-grog drill down. Well done!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MarkShot wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:17 am Richard,

Thank you for the patch. Any idea if it is compatible with Mod Rise of AI 3.1? Thanks.
Sorry, I don't know. I will ask roguedjack if he has time to check it out.
PS: Very nice to see new content and features being added to this older title. This was the game that first convinced me that TBS could be a rich and worthwhile experiences and still move along at a good clip. Besides building an intriguing system, your UI is very nicely configurable for fast play or super-grog drill down. Well done!
Thanks
Richard Bodley Scott

desertedfox
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by desertedfox »

Hi,

There is an issue with this patch and this army list.

Roman 105 - 25 BC Armenian Allies.

There is no selection option for the heavy arty, unless you pick elite HI and then it will appear. The whole alignment is out of whack and you start a 1600 point game with 4 Super HI when in fact you are only allowed to have three.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

desertedfox wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:42 pm Hi,

There is an issue with this patch and this army list.

Roman 105 - 25 BC Armenian Allies.

There is no selection option for the heavy arty, unless you pick elite HI and then it will appear. The whole alignment is out of whack and you start a 1600 point game with 4 Super HI when in fact you are only allowed to have three.
Was this in MP?

Assuming so, the bug isn't that you cannot select Heavy Artillery - you are not supposed to be able to pick heavy artillery in open battle MP matches - see the patch notes. This was by request of various MP players.

However, the heavy artillery appearing when you select the next item in the army list (and so on down the list) is certainly a bug, which will need to be fixed ASAP.

Sadly, the beta testers did not pick up this bug - probably because they were too busy testing the Swifter than Eagles content, which does not include any heavy artillery.
Richard Bodley Scott

desertedfox
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by desertedfox »

Cheers,

I hadn't gotten around to reading the entire list of changes.

But yes, it's a bug still as I can select the elite HI and have the arty appear also selecting the units below the arty where it was previously throws out the entire list under it completely.

Yes it was MP.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

desertedfox wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:05 pm Cheers,

I hadn't gotten around to reading the entire list of changes.

But yes, it's a bug still as I can select the elite HI and have the arty appear also selecting the units below the arty where it was previously throws out the entire list under it completely.

Yes it was MP.
I think we are going to have to revert to the previous rules using a hot fix next week. It turns out that disallowing heavy artillery in MP would actually be far more complex to implement properly than first thought.
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:10 pm [I think we are going to have to revert to the previous rules using a hot fix next week. It turns out that disallowing heavy artillery in MP would actually be far more complex to implement properly than first thought.
Many thanks, Richard et al, for providing the hotfix so quickly. (I'm in 1.6.7 now. :) )
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
Fangorn
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Fangorn »

Not sure here is the proper place to suggest a price modification for a unit, but the heavy infantry guard foot price at 72 points isn't in line with the expansion cost of a Myrmidon's medium foot price of 66, which I believe would be a better value for the guard foot.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Fangorn wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:57 pm Not sure here is the proper place to suggest a price modification for a unit, but the heavy infantry guard foot price at 72 points isn't in line with the expansion cost of a Myrmidon's medium foot price of 66, which I believe would be a better value for the guard foot.
Heavy Foot pay 6 points for Maneuverable, Medium Foot get it for free.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Fangorn

Post by Fangorn »

Ah, it makes sense now. Thanks a lot.

Still, the foot guard just costs way too much, just as veteran hoplite price was too low and now it is adjusted.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Fangorn wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:20 pm Still, the foot guard just costs way too much, just as veteran hoplite price was too low and now it is adjusted.
Assyrians really don't need any extra help.
Richard Bodley Scott

Fangorn

Post by Fangorn »

I've been trying the new scenario type - defending, and I found it somewhat lacking. I played games with the same rules agreed with my opponent, the attacker had to clear the field as victory condition and we also agreed to diminish the defender's points by 10%. That made for a great game, so I leave it as a suggestion. I know we can set games like that, but not open challenges.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Fangorn wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:49 pm I've been trying the new scenario type - defending, and I found it somewhat lacking. I played games with the same rules agreed with my opponent, the attacker had to clear the field as victory condition and we also agreed to diminish the defender's points by 10%. That made for a great game, so I leave it as a suggestion. I know we can set games like that, but not open challenges.
Not a bad suggestion, but FYI you can go into advanced when setting up a challenge and manually adjust the points totals
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Fangorn

Post by Fangorn »

Yes, you can manually adjust the points, but you cant issue an open challenge, you have to set a password.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Fangorn wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:15 pm Yes, you can manually adjust the points, but you cant issue an open challenge, you have to set a password.
That is to stop random folk from inadvertently picking up challenges with tweaked points.
Richard Bodley Scott

Fangorn

Post by Fangorn »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:03 pm
Fangorn wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:15 pm Yes, you can manually adjust the points, but you cant issue an open challenge, you have to set a password.
That is to stop random folk from inadvertently picking up challenges with tweaked points.
May I suggest instead that advance options are tied to mirror games? I think it would settle the issue and allow use of uneven forces in defensive games.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Fangorn wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:22 pm
rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:03 pm
May I suggest instead that advance options are tied to mirror games? I think it would settle the issue and allow use of uneven forces in defensive games.
You would have to discuss that with Slitherine. They decide how the PBEM system works, not I.

Personally, I think Slitherine have made the right decision. The current system avoids people getting nasty surprises and then complaining about the challenger on the forums.

If you have a willing opponent, then give them the password. It isn't fair to spring what amounts to a mod on to innocent passers by.
Richard Bodley Scott

Fangorn

Post by Fangorn »

Thanks for answering. I understand your position.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

Fangorn wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:20 pm Ah, it makes sense now. Thanks a lot.

Still, the foot guard just costs way too much, just as veteran hoplite price was too low and now it is adjusted.
Out of all the adjustments Veteran Hoplites going to 66 stood out for me. I already had them down as my least favourite hoplite unit at 60. Being just protected against the hail of arrows on the battlefield is a major negative. Armoured Hoplites at 54 are much better value.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815

Return to “Field of Glory II”